Solidarity Issue #4 - July 2009

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jul 9 2009 10:05
Solidarity Issue #4 - July 2009

The fourth issue of Solidarity, free newssheet of the Aotearoa Workers Solidarity Movement (AWSM). Download the .pdf by clicking here (1.79MB), or visit the AWSM website to read the contents online.

Contents:

* Women workers push for pay equity
* Workers on the flu front line: Fight for respect!
* Meet the greedy: Rob Fyfe, Air NZ CEO
* Super city hikoi in Auckland

If you want to make sure you don’t miss an issue of Solidarity, you can subscribe to either the print or electronic version.

To subscribe to the AWSM announcements list, put your email address in the form on the top right of each page on our website, http://www.awsm.org.nz.

Subscribers will be sent .pdf copies of Solidarity each month, along with other publications produced by AWSM and ocasional information - we promise we won’t spam you with a ton of useless stuff though! The electronic copy is identical to the print version.

Or, you can subscribe to the print edition to receive a copy of Solidarity in the post. $8 for 12 issues. Mail a cheque to AWSM, PO Box 6387, Wellington 6141, or contact us to organise an alternative method of payment.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jul 10 2009 04:08

Nice work.
You know you can enable hyperlinks in PDFs for the electronic version?

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jul 10 2009 06:25

Yeah true, I know you can but hadn't ever thought about doing it. Will do it next month if I remember smile

Any more detailed comments would be welcome - style, design, comments on the types of articles, etc etc....feedback is always good

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jul 14 2009 09:14

Hey I really like, very neat (and not too crammed) for a small newspaper.

Convert
Jul 17 2009 07:15

I notice you dont mention the requirement to donate 2% of your income to the AWSM to become a member.

Who's gunna join with that requirement in place?

And what does race (hikoi) and gender based (womans pay equity) struggles have to do with communism?

Farce's picture
Farce
Jul 17 2009 08:53
Convert wrote:
And what do struggles to eliminate divisions within the working class have to do with communism?

neutral

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Jul 21 2009 14:19

The 2% thing is kind of interesting. I'd only say it's (presumably) a voluntary association and they can put whatever rules they like in place. The group I'm in has annual dues and people also put in their labour and sometimes donate money. Can't see any real difference.

If you want design feedback, and this is completely subjective, but you might want to look at the type. The paragraph indents could be half of what they are and you could clean up the widows and orphans. The ragged lines are a bit too ragged. You can fix this automatically in InDesign (Paragraph> Balance ragged lines) but you're better off doing this manually. Try sticking to the grid with your image placement and loose the drop shadows. That way the text will flow a lot better. You could tighten the leading on the headlines too.

What are you using for layout?

Oh, and I liked the Meet the Greedy section. lolololol