The 'sorry'

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
magnifico
Mar 8 2008 10:31
The 'sorry'

What do youse lot think of Rudd's apology? (To the 'stolen generation' of Aborigines) All the Australians I've spoken to so far think it was fucking fantastic and that the sun now shines out of his arse, also apparently he's now got the highest approval ratings of anyone ever largely as a result.

I presume by its not being mentioned on here that you don't really think much of it at all, which is probably the stance I would take, but from over here it seems to be an indicator of something or other - that Howard could stay so popular for such a long time with his blatantly racist shit, and that the new prime minister can now get so much support from trying to go in the opposite direction (albeit only symbolically).

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Mar 8 2008 11:04

Barak (Ehud, not Obama) apologized to the Sefardi Jews for his party's discrimination against them throughout its early years. Wasn't as helpful to him politically as it seems for this Rudd fella, though.

magnifico
Mar 8 2008 11:55

Yeah apparently it was a massive coup, he invited the 'liberal' party (ie the conservative/republican equivalent) to join in the apology, they ummed and ahhhed about it for a while and finally belatedly decided that they would join in, but when they got up to speak at the ceremony all the survivors of the stolen generation turned their backs, and the liberals looked like a right bunch of arses (which they are, of course)

yeah Barak came across all lefty for a while didn't he iirc

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Mar 8 2008 14:01

He's now (and was then) the head of the penultimate Israeli leftist party. I want him to win, and I want Obama to win, and then I want a three-sided conference in Sharm al-Sheikh just to watch all the American reporters stutter over Barak, Barack and Mubarak..

Bob Savage's picture
Bob Savage
Mar 8 2008 18:48
magnifico wrote:
Yeah apparently it was a massive coup, he invited the 'liberal' party (ie the conservative/republican equivalent) to join in the apology, they ummed and ahhhed about it for a while and finally belatedly decided that they would join in, but when they got up to speak at the ceremony all the survivors of the stolen generation turned their backs, and the liberals looked like a right bunch of arses (which they are, of course)

the best was what i read in a news article about it:

"When asked by Sky News if he supported the apology, a technical error occurred, with Mr Tuckey telling the camera he was unable to hear the question."

and when i asked who the guy was and if he was just lying, an australian gave me an interesting reponse:
"Wilson "Ironbar" Tuckey is a prick. The "Ironbar" nickname comes from the fact that he used to beat up Aboriginals with a crowbar. True story."

anna x
Mar 8 2008 23:34

As for the 'sorry' speech, I refused to watch the telecast as it's nought but tokenism at best. In saying that, I am friends with a bloke who is married into the Indigenous community and he was saying that although it's tokenism and many of the younger Indigenous folk recognise this, it's better than nothing as far as they are concerned. Apparently many of the older folk think that it's pretty important and they see it as vindication for all of the years that they have struggled for this moment. Many of the older generation are tired of fighting so have welcomed it warmly. I think most of the white liberal left are having a massive Rudd love fest but there's no real surprise there and to be honest I reckon that much of the ignorant population here - sadly probably a good percentage of Australians would probably see this as a justification that Australia is an egalitarian society and not racist at all. Kevin Rudd is indeed riding a wave of popularity although this may soon change as he has cut money from carers allowances and is looking at slashing funding further to social services. On the environmental front, Peter Garrett is continuing to sell out all of the principles that he stood for and sung about for years. As for Wilson Tuckey - he is a fuckwit to be sure. Americans would call him a redneck. He's good value in that the media can be guaranteed a stupid comment from him on a range of issues at any time. I remember when Brokeback Mountain came out, he made totally offensive comments about gay men and words to the effect that he'd never met a ringer who was a shirt lifter. As for Brendan Nelson - gooooorrrrrrrnnnnnn!
all the best.
gregg.

anna x
Mar 8 2008 23:46

Oh yeah, I forgot, the 'NT intervention' where the previous government had sent in the army to Indigenous communities to sort them out and impliment draconian colonialist policies has now been expanded further to include Indigenous communities in WA and Qld. roll eyes neutral
all the best.
gregg.

magnifico
Mar 11 2008 15:29

cheers grrreg that's interesting, it's always nice to hear my prejudices about politicians confirmed

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Mar 13 2008 00:36
tojiah wrote:
then I want a three-sided conference in Sharm al-Sheikh just to watch all the American reporters stutter over Barak, Barack and Mubarak..

Haha, that'd be hilarious indeed.

grrregg wrote:
has now been expanded further to include Indigenous communities in WA and Qld.

Got any links? I didn't realise that, although it doesn't surprise me...

anna x
Mar 22 2008 07:05

CORRECTION:

Quote:
I remember when Brokeback Mountain came out, he made totally offensive comments about gay men and words to the effect that he'd never met a ringer who was a shirt lifter.

Wilson Tuckey is a tool but this stuff came from Bob Katter - another tool. Sorry.

Asher - I will try to find links in the next couple of days but if you wanted to squirrel around, the WA and Qld interventions are being done by those respective state govts whereas afaik the NT intervention was done in the NT because that was the only place that the federal govt could do it legally without stepping on the NT govt's toes.
all the best.
gregg.