Sydney: Black Rose books closed for now

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
princess mob
Jun 6 2012 04:18
Sydney: Black Rose books closed for now

From the Black Rose website: "After 6 years at 22 Enmore Rd in Newtown, Black Rose Books has once again been moved into storage awaiting its next reincarnation. We expect this web address will disappear sometime later this year.

Refer to Jura Books for Anarchist Literature
Peoples' Kitchen is starting up again on Wednesdays at Dustmonster

Thanks to all those who have been involved over the past 6 years (and the past 30 years!!). There is no collective to be contacted anymore so please direct any questions to Jura books.

Love & Rage"

antifaoz's picture
antifaoz
Jun 9 2012 12:39

So sorry to hear this. What happened? How can we resurrect Black Rose? Oh bugger this blows. Thanks Jura.

Rats's picture
Rats
Jun 14 2012 01:51

Damn you, Invisible Hand!

Sorry to hear comrades. Damn, that's the only place I ever find scott when i'm around. Can I PM someone my email to give to him?

Princess Mob?

princess mob
Jun 16 2012 08:21

@Rats: sure, pm me, I'll pass yr details on

From my understanding, the collective that had been running Black Rose (a continuation of the collective that had been running it since the split with Jura, but with no original members left)decided some time last year that they didn't have the energy to continue the project. It was just going to fold then but at the last minute another group said that they wanted to take it on. But they were never a particularly solid collective and after a while it kind of fell apart: nothing happening, no one taking responsibility for paying rent etc. Not a very exciting or unusual story.

Personally I don't think it's the end of the world. It would be nice to have an anarchist space in Newtown, sure. But on the other hand, I think in a lot of ways it's better for Jura - which owns its building and has a long-term stability - to be responsible for the library. The deal is that if Black Rose re-forms within a year, they can have all of those books back - but if I was starting a new anarchist space I don't think I'd want the burden of caring for a historic library.

Until then, the books are being temporarily integrated into the Jura library. Which isn't damp. Unlike the old Black Rose space. There's a working bee tomorrow to start this.

Rats's picture
Rats
Jul 8 2012 01:48

Cheers mob, will do now, haven't checked this in a little while.