TNT express wildcat -

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Apr 8 2006 08:57
TNT express wildcat -

What are these new laws then? are we likely to see more of these?

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18749776-5001022,00.html

Quote:

Strike for delivery workers

By JOE HILDEBRAND

April 08, 2006

ABOUT 250 freight delivery workers yesterday called a wildcat strike in the first major industrial action since the Federal Government's new workplace laws took effect.

Drivers for freight giant TNT Express walked off the job at 8am after the company refused to guarantee that it would preserve current pay and conditions under the new regime.

The strike was illegal because it was not in an official bargaining period. The Transport Workers Union as well as individual employees could face hefty fines.

The Australian Industrial Relations Commission ordered the workers to return to work shortly before 6pm last night and the TWU complied.

Kakariki
Apr 9 2006 03:24

ACTU campaign website here

Laws came into effect last week, and there's already been a handful of cases of people getting fired and then asked to reapply for their jobs at lower pay and worse conditions.

Pretty fucking crap really.

And I think it's exceptionall likely that there'll be more actions like the one above. There's a national day of action, I think May 12, but I'll have to check.

These laws are very similar to the Employment Contracts Act that the National Party govt passed in NZ in 1992(?) which Labour threw out in 1999/2000. It's taken about six years for the unions to recover and start to increase their membership levels again. Killer legislation, should be resisted at all levels!

aketus's picture
aketus
Apr 9 2006 03:29

Hadn't heard about this... but I've been MIA for a couple of days really.

Let's hope we don't see the usual Australian workers 'resistance'... one march through the city in one afternoon, then back home for dinner, and forget about it. Maybe we can learn a few lessons from our French comrades

bastarx
Apr 10 2006 04:17

I think the unions National Day of "Action" will be on June 28, the anniversary of their first big but passive NDA. A celebration of the defeat of the unions quater-arsed resistance and probably little more than an election rally for the ALP which thinks it's finally been handed an issue on which it can regain government after 10 years of pissweak opposition.

Pete

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Apr 15 2006 05:53
Peter wrote:
I think the unions National Day of "Action" will be on June 28, the anniversary of their first big but passive NDA. A celebration of the defeat of the unions quater-arsed resistance and probably little more than an election rally for the ALP which thinks it's finally been handed an issue on which it can regain government after 10 years of pissweak opposition.

Pete

qua[r]ter-arsed?

i reckon the actu is banking, literally, on an alp victory @ da nxt erection. they'll likely remove some of the most damaging of the laws, and keep the rest. bad, but not-as-bad-as. if the coalition retains power, on the other hand...

bastarx
Apr 15 2006 06:18
@ndy wrote:
qua[r]ter-arsed?

i reckon the actu is banking, literally, on an alp victory @ da nxt erection. they'll likely remove some of the most damaging of the laws, and keep the rest. bad, but not-as-bad-as. if the coalition retains power, on the other hand...

Yes @ndy quarter-arsed is what I meant. Sorry that post wasn't up to my usual high standards of spelling and also free of bile spat at leftist anarchists.

If the coalition retains power there'll be more, worser laws.

cheers

Pete

@ndy's picture
@ndy
Apr 15 2006 06:32

more, worser laws yes... but also crunch time for the tum. in full effect, the new laws spell the (final?) end of the corporatist approach. as a result, we may well see workers flocking to the most militant unions... which are largely confined to the blue collar, construction, manufacturing and electrical trades unions / industries... and the disintegration of others (such as the sda, awu, etc.). so, i reckon over the nxt few yrs there's gonna be tremendous pressure from members (and workers generally) on existing union structures, and it'll be interesting to see how they respond... and what possibilities this scenario opens up for wildcat action a la tnt transport workers. to conclude: neoliberalism is a high-dividend (obviously) strategy, but also carries with it risks.

black bloc

bastarx
Apr 17 2006 11:52
@ndy wrote:
more, worser laws yes... but also crunch time for the tum. in full effect, the new laws spell the (final?) end of the corporatist approach. as a result, we may well see workers flocking to the most militant unions... which are largely confined to the blue collar, construction, manufacturing and electrical trades unions / industries... and the disintegration of others (such as the sda, awu, etc.). so, i reckon over the nxt few yrs there's gonna be tremendous pressure from members (and workers generally) on existing union structures, and it'll be interesting to see how they respond... and what possibilities this scenario opens up for wildcat action a la tnt transport workers. to conclude: neoliberalism is a high-dividend (obviously) strategy, but also carries with it risks.

We might even see some new more militant unions along the lines of COBAS in Italy or SUD in France although such a move would be fairly unprecedented in Oz. AFAIK the unions that exist now can trace their lineage through various mergers back to the early days of unionism here.

I kind of disagree that neoliberalism is a high-dividend strategy. More like capital has no choice. They can vary the pace but something along those lines is necessary to try and restore or even maintain profit rates.

Pete