DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Dispatch - public sector pay dispute bulletin thread

70 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 3 2007 11:01
Dispatch - public sector pay dispute bulletin thread

Thread for helping to put together a bulletin about the current public sector pay struggle.

Booya.

Mike Harman
Aug 3 2007 11:14

Headlines still todo. More on it's way by the end of today.

Work to rule

Southend, Watford, Sevenoaks, South East London, South Devon and individual postmen across the country have been turning up on time, weighing their bags, not using their cars, taking the vans out and cutting off at their finish time. In other words, "doing the job as it should be done". At Southend, Royal Mail have had to bring up to 70 managers a day from all over the South East to deal with the back log from all the cut-offs. It costs you nothing to do this, and is essential if the strikes are going to be effective so backlogs don't get cleared. Why not join in now!

(in a box)
1. Don't use your personal car for deliveries
2. Weigh your bags - follow the legal maximum of 13kg
4. Take your meal break.
3. Cut off at your finish time.

2007 Pay strikes roundup
Glasgow: 600 Social Workers on indefinite strike since 23 July
Wigan: 1,000 workers at Heinz wildcatted for 24 hours 18 July over sub-inflation pay offer
Wakefield & Milton Keynes: Coca Cola workers strike 26/27 July & 13/14 August, plus overtime ban.
Highlands: Airport firefighters and engineers strike from 30 July over 2% pay offer
Manchester parking attendants wildcatted over pay and management treatment (22/05)
200,000 civil servants were on strike in May over pay and job cuts
Norfolk Bin-men worked to rule over job-cuts, and bus drivers struck over pay
More strikes at Grampian foods, Manchester NHS and information about possible strikes by PCS, Unison and Unite members at http://libcom.org/pay-2007
It's essential that we co-ordinate strike action across the public sector for us all to win. Visit picket lines of other workers, leaflet, invite them to meetings. Direct communication between workers in different sectors is the only way this will happen.

New strike dates:

Week 3
• Mail Centres and Airports - 19.00 Thu 09/08 - 19.00 Fri 10/08
• MDECs - 12 noon Fri 10/08- 12 noon Sat 11/08
• Deliveries and Separate Collection Hubs - 19.00 Fri 10/08 - 19.00 Sat 11/08

Week 4
• Network and International/HWDC - 19.00 Mon 13/08 - 19.00 Tue 14/08
• Airports - 12 noon Tues 14/08 - 12 noon Wed 15/08
• Mail Centres - 19.00 Wed 15/08 - 19.00 Thu 16/08
• MDECs - 12 noon Thu 16/08 - 12 noon Fri 17/08
• Deliveries and Separate Collection Hubs - 19.00 Thu 16/08 - 19.00 Fri 17/08

About us

We're a group of workers who are interested in discussing and co-ordinating a response to the public sector pay dispute. We work in several different sectors, including the postal service, NHS, education and local government. To contact us with feedback or comments for the next issue e-mail dispatch(at)libcom.org (not set up yet)

Discuss the strike
Postal workers from around the country are discussing this strike and the best ways to take it forward at www.royalmailchat.co.uk
Posties and other public sector workers are discussing the wider public sector strikes at libcom.org/forums/organise along with updated strike news at libcom.org/pay-2007
Mass meetings have controlled and won strikes at Royal Mail and in workplaces all over the world for decades. Don't just take your meal break, take it with everyone else and use it!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 3 2007 11:53

stuff about the wildcats is already out of date i think, we need to reword it to be more timeless

Mike Harman
Aug 3 2007 13:43

Yeah I wanted to avoid being a general WILDCATS!!!!11!!!! when it was just Oxford, but that's pointless now so could do something more general.

Mike Harman
Aug 3 2007 18:19

OK our friend in the postal service has just sent a longer and less time-bound piece on the wildcats, so scratch my one (which I'd already updated at least three times this week in a futile attempt to catch up - this is why websites are good).

Mike Harman
Aug 3 2007 18:45

I made an alias for pay-2007 pointing to tags/pay-2007 - this means we can put that url on there, then delete the alias later when we have the panel ready.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 3 2007 18:45

catch - see draft on internal

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 4 2007 13:39

is there a final final deadline for this?

what software you use for layout jos? cos i think the look could be improved slightly, i could guarantee to do today and tomorrow.

For reference: sector roundup re-write:
2007 Pay strikes roundup
Civil servants: 280,000 PCS members being consulted on further strike action through August, following strikes of 200,000 on Mayday, and previous strikes and action-short-of strike over a 2% pay offer.
Midwives:
Nurses:
Health workers:
Local government

Glasgow: 600 Social Workers on indefinite strike since 23 July
Wigan: 1,000 workers at Heinz wildcatted for 24 hours 18 July over sub-inflation pay offer
Wakefield & Milton Keynes: Coca Cola workers strike 26/27 July & 13/14 August, plus overtime ban.
Highlands: Airport firefighters and engineers strike from 30 July over 2% pay offer
Manchester parking attendants wildcatted over pay and management treatment (22/05)
200,000 civil servants were on strike in May over pay and job cuts
Norfolk Bin-men worked to rule over job-cuts, and bus drivers struck over pay
More strikes at Grampian foods, Manchester NHS and information about possible strikes by PCS, Unison and Unite members at http://libcom.org/pay-2007
It's essential that we co-ordinate strike action across the public sector for us all to win. Visit picket lines of other workers, leaflet, invite them to meetings. Direct communication between workers in different sectors is the only way this will happen.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 4 2007 13:51

don't know a final deadline ... catch is back online tonight. could say sunday night if you want a crack at it? using word atm - i can attach the .doc on internal if you want

also John., are you looking at the latest draft in the mod queue here, not internal? that's where it's currently at, minus a few typos/suggestions ret has made (see internal)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 4 2007 13:53

Also one thing, with "work to rule," weren't some posties particularly keen on saying "it's not a work to rule, it's just working properly"? maybe we could word differently?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 4 2007 13:56

not sure, but if so i guess so - 'doing the job properly' is in the text so could be the title too

Mike Harman
Aug 4 2007 19:18

It's been called: "doing the job as it should be done", and "withdrawal of goodwill".

Royal Mail's own briefings have said it can't be classed as a work to rule - cars on delivery were banned in the '80s and still in some offices, aren't insured, etc. etc. so it's just following basic guidelines rather than using every single one to fuck things up.

Also our postal friend says:

Quote:
I now notice that there was something missing in the
original text I sent you which remains unfilled in the
draft.
One of the sentences towards the end reads:
If the staggered action really starts to hurt them,
they may decide to by provoking us into an all out
unofficial action.

to WHAT?

I think I perhaps didn't write what they would be
deciding to do because I wasn't sure what to call such
a move. One could say
'they may decide to go for broke'
or
'they may decide to up the stakes'
or
'they may decide to settle it one way or another'
anyway it needs something.
nils

I'd say "up the stakes" fwiw.

Mike Harman
Aug 4 2007 19:21

also my comment at: http://libcom.org/forums/organise/dispatch-public-sector-pay-dispute-bulletin-thread-03082007#comment-216310 has newer text than the draft in moderation, but dunno if it's different to JK's local copy.

Plus me might as well add "Hartlepool" into the wildcat article.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 4 2007 19:21

changed to 'up the stakes'

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 4 2007 19:25

edit: ok copied in the newer text

"doing the job as it should be done" is a bit long for a title, and "withdrawal of goodwill" is kinda like, well yeah, there's a strike on neutral so is it posties or royal mail who don't like calling it work to rule, or both? just need to sort this and i can upload a new draft with the newer text from above and incorporating ret & N's suggestions

Mike Harman
Aug 4 2007 19:30

Second post on this thread:

Work to rule
Discuss this strike
both updated. Then John's text for public sector is an update of an update

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 4 2007 19:35

ok - John's thing's going to get longer then by the looks of it? neutral (important stuff too)

Mike Harman
Aug 4 2007 19:41

Yeah but work to rule is shorter wink

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 4 2007 19:44

ok, i'm sure we can squeeze it. can always shrink the banner a bit if necessary

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 4 2007 20:04

ok, draft 1.1 in moderation waiting on John.'s extra public sector stuff (i've created space) and a possible change of title for the 'work to rule' bit

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 4 2007 20:11

posties refuse unpaid extras?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 11:29

i'm having a go at the the design end now in publisher - any of you guys have publisher?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 12:06

right got the design looking pretty good now i think, writing up the sector roundup properly now.

the back page stuff is very long, it's good but it's hard to fit on the page in an easilyreadable format. would it be ok if i cut it down a bit?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 12:28

pay roundup so far:
Civil service
280,000 PCS members being consulted on further strike action through August, following strikes of 200,000 on Mayday, and previous strikes and action-short-of strike over a 2% pay offer.
Health
The Royal College of Nursing is consulting its members in England and Wales on a ballot for strike action, and the Royal College of Midwives is undertaking the first ever ballot of its 23,000 members over a 1.9% pay offer. Unison health workers have also rejected the pay offer as “insulting.”
Local government
Unison is consulting its one million members in local government over a 2% pay offer. Areas which have been counted so far have overwhelmingly rejected the offer and voted to ballot on industrial action.
600 Social Workers have been on indefinite strike since 23 July over other pay cuts. Parking attendants in Manchester went on wildcat strike over pay and management treatment. In Norfolk bin-men worked to rule over job-cuts, and bus drivers struck over pay

Education
http://www.nut.org.uk/

Private sector

Elsewhere

Glasgow: ~ Wigan: 1,000 workers at Heinz wildcatted for 24 hours 18 July over sub-inflation pay offer ~ Wakefield & Milton Keynes: Coca Cola workers strike 26/27 July & 13/14 August, plus overtime ban ~ Highlands: Airport firefighters and engineers strike from 30 July over 2% pay offer ~ (22/05) ~ Norfolk Bin ~ More strikes at Grampian foods, Manchester NHS and information about possible strikes by PCS, Unison and Unite members at http://libcom.org/pay-2007

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 12:38

draft tiff saved in email a/c. couldn/t attach to draft file here

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 5 2007 13:26

John., you can attach it on internal or on the post in moderation

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 19:14

no, you can't attach tif files. It's in the email a/c anyway, gonna get back to work on it now...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 19:46

i've edited the end of the public sector bit to put in something about the role of the unions. it's a bit clunky though. anyone any suggestions on a rewrite?

Quote:
It is essential that we co-ordinate strike action across the public sector for us all to win. Some of the unions are talking the talk about fighting together, but in practice are keeping all of us separate when we’re fighting for the same thing. Visit picket lines of other workers, leaflet, invite them to meetings, discuss the strikes online. Direct communication between workers in different sectors is the only way collective action will happen.
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 19:49

also was reminded by ICC leaflet to tie in with crown post office strikes:

Quote:
seeking the active support and solidarity of other workers. Immediately by linking up directly with the Crown Post Office workers who are facing the same rotten deal. But other workers in the public sector are facing exactly the same attacks. In fact the postal workers are being set up as a test case in order that these attacks can go forward. No sector of workers can gain from struggling in isolation. Real solidarity means waging a common struggle.

mention in sector news, and co-ordinate paragraph.

also is it worth mentioning other postal workers - the private competition? cos if those workers got organised too, there would be no more advantage over royal mail... but maybe for another issue.

with this, the first strike date shown is this coming thurs, and it's valid 2 weeks after that. so i think that's our main time window for distro. anyone who can help with distro please let us know!

Mike Harman
Aug 5 2007 21:05

allowed tif files.

Public sector attempt:

Quote:
It is essential that we co-ordinate strike action across the public sector for us all to win. Some of the unions talk about fighting together, but in practice we are being kept apart while we get picked off sector by sector despite facing the same attacks. Visit picket lines of other workers, leaflet, invite them to meetings, discuss the strikes online. Direct communication between workers in different sectors and between posties and Crown Post Office workers is the only way collective action will happen.
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2007 21:10

uploading now, tho have added in more text since. workin on now until heroes starts wink