IWA Congress report-backs?

171 posts / 0 new
Last post
syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 06:06

Respectfully comrade, the communication/campaign issue predates the current bad situation with the Serbian comrades.

As simply an observation, I've been around the IWA since the 1970s, to this date I think the best overall efforts were made by the former German Secretariat. That goes back to the early 1990s.

Boris Badenov
Dec 14 2009 06:07

How come the IWA has no branches in North America?

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 06:13

At one time the IWA had a very proud and dedicated section, the Workers Solidarity Alliance.
For our early history see: http://www.anarchosyndicalism.net/newswire/display_any/217

For other discussion see: http://libcom.org/forums/workers-solidarity-alliance/workers-solidarity-alliance-and-iwa

AES's picture
AES
Nov 4 2012 17:10

akai
Dec 14 2009 11:15

A few points:

Personally, I would like to have more information about Die Linke and their connection with this FAU situation. I believe that we should really stress this, if this is the case and put direct pressure on them.

One thing I have been observing is that several left parties from various European countries have been coordinating internationally with union federations which are attacking union pluralism. This is no coincidence and I think we need to examine this issue, present a deeper analysis and expose the authoritarian plan of the left to try and exert hegemony over unionism through legal repression and introduction of legislation that would limit both independent unionism and impose legal requirements which dilute the class conflict.

About the IWA Congress, maybe the comrades from SolFed will eventually publish something in English. Personally, I am new and not even sure where the lines are in terms of informing people of the discussions held. In my personal opinion, many of the discussions were internal in character and do not need to be shared. I can offer a few impressions though.

In my opinion, there was a rather good feeling at the Congress and discussion went smoothly, although perhaps sometimes chaotically, on most points.

In terms of internal proposals that were already publically discussed here, the CNT made its controversial proposal about group size and voting, and I think it is no surprise that it was not accepted. For me, this was also clear, but it was important for them as a symbolic statement. This said, most members of ZSP at our last Congress expressed doubts that CNT or other groups supporting their position would like to include us in the IWA since they could argue that we don't meet their standards - but to my great surprise this was not the case. So this, at least for me, was proof that the larger groups in the IWA want to maintain some openness, give chances and be supportive to the development of the movement - and in fact there were many references during the Congress for the need to do so, especially in places like Latin America. (It is clear EVERYBODY wants to do so, we just have to come up with a common plan that is acceptable for everybody and starts to bring some results.) We personally were very happy about this, are trying to develop ourselves and certainally hope to prove that the choice to give us a chance was a good one. That said, I think that there were not too many concrete decisions about how to go about encouraging development in new places- rather only talks between people later on and discussion on about what we can do. That is why rather than report on some intention which is not very specific, I say to wait for the projects to unveil themselves.

One project I think we can and should talk about now though is that COB has inherited the archives of Edgar Rodriquez. They would like to open a center for libertarian educational purposes in Brazil. As you can understand, such centers are much more than libraries and also serve as meeting places, places to promote the movement. They produced a document in English about it - maybe I can put it up later. IWA supports it and individual sections may later join in making appeals for further support.

Maybe later I can or other people can mention one or two other things.

akai
Dec 14 2009 11:22

Another comment about communication / information sharing: I think that this really needs improvement. In particular, it is important for people for people in places where the IWA doesn't have a present or where misinformation has been formed. Provided we have the capacity to do so, we would like to make a push towards compiling information / news / articles from IWA sections in one spot, many for local activists here, but, if we manage it well, it may also be useful for others who don't like to check 30 webpages a day. I don't want to promise too much though because first and foremost we need to do more things locally to develop the strength and organizational capacities of our local groups, which is challenging enough. smile

robot's picture
robot
Dec 14 2009 11:55
akai wrote:
A few points:

Personally, I would like to have more information about Die Linke and their connection with this FAU situation. I believe that we should really stress this, if this is the case and put direct pressure on them.

One thing I have been observing is that several left parties from various European countries have been coordinating internationally with union federations which are attacking union pluralism. This is no coincidence and I think we need to examine this issue, present a deeper analysis and expose the authoritarian plan of the left to try and exert hegemony over unionism through legal repression and introduction of legislation that would limit both independent unionism and impose legal requirements which dilute the class conflict.

While this is propably not the right threat and time to discuss that matter in details (the more as my boss hangs around wink just one small comment on it: In Germany there are generally no union built around ideologies as are/were in Spain, France and Italy. Everybody from christian conservatives over social democrats to the left advocates the lame, reformist and co-management focused DGB trade unions (They are in the board of management of a big number of mayor German companies). While many workers do feel very uncomfortable with those unions, the German leftist are their most stubborn defenders. Not only because many members of left parties carry functions and jobs in the lower union hierarchy but as well because of ideological reasons. For them those unions are the alleged transmission belts for their party politics.

The Berlin case is very special in itsself. One of the two members of the Babylons management board is directly linked to the "Die Linke" party which governs Berlin together with the SPD. His father is a former Wobbly from the sickest dungeons of the stalinist IWW faction of the 50th. He emigrated into the GDR in the 60th and was used by the SED government as a speaking tube for their propanda. He remained a member of the SED who later became the PDS and now the "Die Linke". During the conflict the old stalinist even made a presentation at the cinema where he talked about how fantastic the historic IWW was and that the FAU has nothing to do with that kind of industrial organization and that his son is such a nice guy, blabla blabla.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Dec 14 2009 12:13

any section expelled at the congress?

MT
Dec 14 2009 13:20

Nigerian Awarness League is no longer a section because of years without any contact.

kc
Dec 14 2009 15:37
Entdinglichung wrote:
any section expelled at the congress?

[joke on] Maybe no one from the wishlist could be expelled last week, because they had to pay for the flights and the congress [joke off]
wink

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 16:14

How about the Australian Anarcho-Syndicalist Federation? I think they been seeking readmission (or something like that) for the last two Congresses. I see no mention of their readmission, perhaps an oversight?

Somewhere I read there were 2 greetings from the US. I know the Workers Solidarity Alliance sent one, anyone know the other?

MT
Dec 14 2009 18:36

ASF is a Section.

syndicalist
Dec 15 2009 01:21

I stand corrected on the ASF. I am told they were accepted as an IWA Section at this Congress.I obviously misunderstood MT when they said it was a section..... it is ow a section and only a Friend before the congress.

A misunderstanding on my part as to what they meant.

MT
Dec 14 2009 19:18

syndicalist, would you be so kind and stop your impatient comments? is it so hard for you to wait few weeks or you just don't believe what is said here?

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 19:34

MT.... no problem. It has always been my understanding that the ASF was a "Friend" and that this, in the past, was an issue for the ASF.

Do I believe what I read here, I dunno, maybe.

AES's picture
AES
Nov 4 2012 17:10

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 20:15

I guess you're right, because my questions/clarifications are met with a certain hostility. having put in more than 20 years of my life into the IWA, I have a certain sense of curiousity.I also like to know facts, like to deal in facts and if something doesn't seem correct I'd like to clarify the point.

It's fine comrades. Not a problem. Do as you see fit.

AES's picture
AES
Dec 14 2009 20:28

portray yourself as a victim - go on.

Libertaria's picture
Libertaria
Dec 14 2009 21:16

What's a "friend of the IWA"? Does it mean anything special?

Anarchosyndicaliste
Dec 15 2009 00:23

> their news is more about the sections, etc (a good thing) then about IWA stuff

Dear syndicalist, i don't understand this ? What is IWA if it is not its sections ? IWA sections are the only IWA stuff

> If the IWA doesn't share with other anarcho-syndicalists what is talka bout

Syndicalist you know it is not true. Just ask Robot, he will explain you how FAU share with Vignoles (even if those one are not anarchosyndicalist, according to their own words …)

And who cares ? smile

Apart from that, in order to reply to « What's a "friend of the IWA"? Does it mean anything special? »

Well KC seems not to be one at least … (regarding your remark on « French CNT AIT »  on the « CNT-f AIT- What else ? » mode , if you weren't so sectarian you would have noticed that the text on our website was a translation of a ZSP message … )

A not -friend is definitely someone that only use the Congress report to make attacks on some sections or friends, in a non-explicit manner that the « uninitiated » can not understand (« CNT AIT France, Czech section, NSF-AIT … Any questions ? » So i decrypt for the uninitiated : CNT AIT France, Czech and NSF are the Holy Trinity of the dogmatiksektarianpsykotiklunatik sect that works undercover inside IWA. Am i wrong ?)

A friend on the contrary will notice on the Congress report the constructive parts : new section in Poland, development in america. And mainly will notice the call for solidarity with ASI-AIT.

A friend is someone that – truly – consider that you can talk about a succes when you are able to organize your international congress, while all the international secretary is in jail since more than 3 months. The effort of repression to disorganize IWA didn't succeed. May be is it the reason why our friends are actually under the charge of « international terrorism », a kind of privilege they share with few - if none ... - other « revolutionnary syndicalist » groups. The fact that – since more than one year - all the IWA sections and friends face harsh repression (COB militant arrested during the 1st of may 2008, a process against CNT AIT Toulouse for militant activity amongst pension house workers, ASI in Serbia, Amadeus Casellas still in jail after 23 years, the 11 of Lisboa inPortugal, and now friends of FAU Berlin forbiden !) is may be something valuable to notice too, as pointed out by Akai.

It seems that some kind of organizations are more frightening for the Power than others, that run from compromise to compromise, managing here a pension fund on behalf of the State, participating to professionnal election there, or receiving subsidies from the State elsewhere.

Sure, those last ones are NOT IWA friends neither …

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 23:08
AES wrote:
portray yourself as a victim - go on.

Sorry comrade, don't get it. I made a simple statment of fact.Are you saying that from 1978-2000 some of us here in the US didn't throw ourselves into the work of the IWA? You don't know me and I suspect I don;t know you. I did work hard for the IWA and any veteran from those years would be hard pressed to say that I didn't....even those who may strongly disagree with me. But are you saying that I have no genuine interest in the IWA because of the sad events which occured against the WSA by some in the IWA?

Look, you can portray what you wish, I'm not bothered by that. And the IWA and its affiliates will obviously conduct business as it chooses. That's cool. But if I ask a question or ask for clarification of fact, I hardly see that as playing anything.

If ASE you would like to discuss something with me, fine, I've no problem with that. If you have an issue with me, go ahead and lay it out.

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Dec 15 2009 00:08

I'm baffled by the complete weirdness of this thread.

petey
Dec 15 2009 01:02

as am i

Quote:
if you weren't so sectarian

well that's the first time i've heard syndicalist called that

Quote:
development in america.

i'm in america, so what is this development? honestly.
i may have missed it on some website, a link will do.

syndicalist
Dec 15 2009 03:27
Quote:
Anarchosyndicaliste: The fact that – since more than one year - all the IWA sections and friends face harsh repression (COB militant arrested during the 1st of may 2008, a process against CNT AIT Toulouse for militant activity amongst pension house workers, ASI in Serbia, Amadeus Casellas still in jail after 23 years, the 11 of Lisboa inPortugal, and now friends of FAU Berlin forbiden !

Ah, my Parisian comrade is back with a new name... bonjour once more.

On point..... I think the above information is generally not known by many people. Aside from the ASI situation, many comrades in the english speaking world may not be familiar with the other situations. I would think-and hope- that news about the other situations can be shared in some sort of organized way, like the old IWA Secretariat;s used to do. This information, if circulated bi-monthly or quarterly, as an external multi-lingual (english-spanish-french?) Press Release or Circular would, in my opinion, be helpful. Rapid Response emails would also be helpful for those times requiring immediate action.

syndicalist
Dec 15 2009 01:14
petey wrote:
as am i
Quote:
if you weren't so sectarian

well that's the first time i've heard syndicalist called that

Quote:
development in america.

i'm in america, so what is this development? honestly.
i may have missed it on some website, a link will do.

Hey Petey... sorry, where was I called sectarian?

On america, they may mean latin ameerica or not. i gather both he COB and the argentine FORA have a full sails up and to the wind now.

"Weirdness". No, I think alot of subtext with nuances that only folks who have been or active in the IWA may get.

petey
Dec 15 2009 01:19

i'm sure you're right, i should learn to keep mum until i know what's going on! (and not just here ... embarrassed )
in post 53:

Quote:
Well KC seems not to be one at least … (regarding your remark on « French CNT AIT » on the « CNT-f AIT- What else ? » mode , if you weren't so sectarian you would have noticed that the text on our website was a translation of a ZSP message … )
syndicalist
Dec 15 2009 03:23
Quote:
peteygrinevelopment in america.

See this from the COB: http://www.ainfos.ca/en/ainfos23401.html It's a shitty machine translation from Brasilian. At the bottom there's a bunch of COB links and you'll get the press release in the original Portugese.

robot's picture
robot
Dec 15 2009 05:34

I find much in this thread somewhat weired. Our work is done in our sections, locals, job-floor branches. If you want to know more it, you can read about in in our leaflets, on our websites, talk to us or soever. It is upon the different organisations linked to the IWA to rate what they think might be successes or failures of their respective contribution to the fight for libertarian communism. The spanish CNT might find its capability promising to return into lots of labour conflicts within the past few years and to win many of them. The COB might find it promising for them to set up a some sort of documentary center. Others may be glad to predominantly maintain their existence as a group under difficult external conditions. It is about the workers of the different regions to decide whether all this are useful and sufficient contributions to the class struggle or whether they are not. The IWA is at present little more than a framework for those activities. Sometimes the IWA is even capable to launch certain coordinated campaigns in different places. You will know it, once it really happens, but it makes little sence to talk about those things while there is only a decision to do it, but it is not yet put into practice in the different corners of the planet.

Anarchosyndicaliste
Dec 15 2009 12:06

Yes, definitely yes !

PS :

>>if you weren't so sectarian
>well that's the first time i've heard syndicalist called that

I wasn't talking about my old friend syndicalist (Salut ! i have to send you some pictures by the way smile !) . He is certainly not that kind of guy.

> On point..... I think the above information is generally not known by many people. Aside from the ASI situation, many comrades in the english speaking world may not be familiar with the other situations.

You are totally right.

But why would it be always the non-english that have to make the effort to learn this crazy english language ... It would be good that english speaking world's anarchist start to make an effort to get out of their language imperialism ...

i think this language barrier is a real problem : english speaking world anarchists know few about latin speaking world anarchists (and i don't talk about slavic or asian languages ...) and vice versa.

Esperanto is also maybe an interesting replyu to this isuse, even if few make the effort to go on this way seriously (i am the first to be blammed for that ...

But this is definitely off topic ...

Anarchosyndicaliste
Dec 15 2009 12:15

> How come the IWA has no branches in North America?

Well if you - or others - are interested to launch one, or at least stay in contact, you may contact the international secretary. The email in on the IWA webpages http://iwa-ait.org