DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Supporting Freedom

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Feb 6 2013 09:40
Supporting Freedom

After the arson attack Freedom needs a lot of support if they're going to get back on their feet so I thought it would be worth creating a thread to help co-ordinate some of this. I know a number of people are already working on this but think we can probably all do a bit more. Freedom have a page on their website outlining ways people can help but I think there are three main things people not in London can do:

- donate money
- donate books
- organise benefits

Several SolFed locals have said they'll organise benefits and nearly every group I'm involved with is planning on donating some money. I've also been in touch with a couple of radical publishers who've said they're going to be donating books and pamphlets. What's everyone else doing? Do you know any bands that can play benefits near you or any publishers who can spare some stock?

Croy's picture
Croy
Feb 6 2013 11:31

I'm going to be making a track to get on the A New World In Our Hearts compilation and going to try and get down to donate a book next week if I can. Croydon Solfed plan on donating in the near future.

jolasmo
Feb 6 2013 17:53

There's going to be a benefit night in Leeds on the 15th (see https://www.facebook.com/events/339567986152700/?fref=ts).

~J.

infrared
Feb 6 2013 18:10

There's going to be a benefit dinner in Sheffield on Saturday 9th, at New Roots on Spital Hill. I'll post details today or tomorrow when they are worked out.

infrared
Feb 7 2013 01:04

Freedom Press benefit dinner this Saturday! 7pm at New Roots Cafe, 86 Spital Hill, Sheffield. It'll be a two course vegan meal, for £10 waged or £8 concessions suggested donations. If you can let us know you're coming or have any other questions, please email sheffieldanimalfriends@gmail.com or message an admin on the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/401677413258264

wojtek
Feb 7 2013 12:00
Quote:
- donate books

Best scan (not necessarily upload) whatever literature you're going to donate first so that it's not lost forever if the shop gets attacked again.

syndicalist
Feb 8 2013 22:12

Workers Solidarity Alliance (WSA), Presente! We'll be in touch about solidarity donation.

jolasmo
Feb 8 2013 23:50

Poster for the Leeds benefit night (design by Uncreative):

~J.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 9 2013 15:20

FAO the freedom folks a poster on here sent me a private message saying he has been trying to donate you guys money from Australia and has e-mailed freedom but not got a response yet

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 9 2013 16:15

The person responding to that stuff has been a bit swamped so might be a while getting back to everyone. It might also be the email being sent to, the one for people who want to do BACS transfers is subs .at freedompress.org.uk

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Feb 10 2013 14:13

Newcastle SolFed benefit for Freedom - 23rd Feb.
All welcome!

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 10 2013 14:24

Cool, like the cybermen wink

Ingersoll
Feb 13 2013 01:40

Does Freedom catalogise its books? It would be very important to estimate the damage and damaged collections/holdings.

This is obviously a political attack and we shouldn't overlook the specialness of this act considering the library/bookshop (revolutionary and libertarian books) is the target.

Maybe it would be good to make a solidarity portal which would help friends organise, donate and reconstruct the lost collections. (If you need an extra pair of hands PM me) Also I think a mailing list for solidarity actions would help.

Expect serbian translation of donation appeal soon..

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 13 2013 08:04

Hiya, in straightforward terms we lost a little over 200 books and another 150 or so may have to be chucked if people don't fancy them as slightly singed, so headline loss for that would be £2,000-3,000ish. It's a bit lower in reality though as a lot of the titles on that corner were our publications, so we would only have lost out on the original production cost there. Losses on pamphlets is anyone's guess.

We've actually been doing pretty well using the system we've got (I'm reasonably confident given what we've got so far and what's been pledged that we'll have no trouble getting back on our feet and may well come out with the place looking better than it has in years!) so I don't reckon a separate portal is necessary.

Tbh I'm actually a bit worried that we're getting donation offers from countries where there is a serious fascist presence and a lot of danger already, which would probably be better spent on security and as funds for things going wrong at home (and while I'm not specifically mandated to say so, I doubt I'd get in a lot of trouble for saying to people please don't divert money needed for those sorts of projects).