Trying to get pay owed from 2 days temp work

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
flaneur's picture
flaneur
Feb 2 2011 17:04
Trying to get pay owed from 2 days temp work

Just wondering if I'm shit outta luck here. I worked for a total of 3 days through Office Angels in December. I didn't sign a timesheet the entire time I was there on their assurance that it'd be fine. Silly mistake in retrospect, I know. Now the company is saying I was only there for a day and aren't too keen to pay the rest. Office Angels are saying without proof, there's nothing they can do, despite them ringing me at the workplace on the third day to speak to me. Is there anything I can do?

admin: this thread ended up leading to this: http://libcom.org/news/solidarity-federation-agency-workers-together-we-can-fight-back-win-16052011

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Feb 2 2011 17:20

without proof, a picket?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 2 2011 18:08

travel receipts (good old oystercard big brother)
lunch recepits?

888's picture
Feb 2 2011 20:44

Start thinking about possible targets. You could target both the company you worked at and Office Angels, plus Office Angels' managers at their homes... Maybe there are other possibilities. The more possible targets you have, the more likely you are to be able to get them to give you your pay.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Feb 2 2011 21:10

Can you confirm the days you worked, or at least prove satisfactorily to yourself you did?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 2 2011 21:52

Try to gather together any evidence you have, including:
-letter about your start date
-any e-mails you may have sent from work
-Oyster card usage or Travelcards purchased
-if there is CCTV at the place you worked, or near the office which might have filmed you going in you could put in a data protection act request.
-Written statements from any other people you worked with.
-If someone at office Angels phoned you, that is evidence as well.

You should gather everything you can and raise a grievance, which they have to do investigate properly and hold a hearing into. Ultimately, if they don't pay you you could take them to tribunal for unlawful deduction of wages. Unfortunately this happens quite a lot, although I would say it is a lot more frequent in the food service industry with migrant workers than with British people in temp jobs in offices. The threat of taking to tribunal might be enough to get them to pay up, as even if they win they will have to pay legal fees which will be way more than your wages

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 2 2011 22:00

Yeah, and to add that you could back up the grievance with the demonstration outside possibly. But if it is just an office where customers don't go, a picket mightn't be that effective

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Feb 3 2011 03:18

Jesus, don't know why the topic title makes no sense.

I will have Osyter card transactions to and from there on the days I apparently wasn't there, and I'd most likely be on CCTV, as well as the aforementioned phone call. What is even more ridiculous is that the phone call was to say I had to leave, as I was no longer needed after being late that morning.

The company is in Cheam so might be a bit aways for the Solfed lot. Though they only deal with people through the phone, not in person and the office block is located on an industrial estate.

I'm in two minds whether it's worth going to greater lengths over £60 quid or so, even though it's a bloody cheek of them to be wrangling out of paying. I'm due to speak to the manager at Office Angels so perhaps it could be sorted easily, though I'm not holding my breath.

John E Jacobsen's picture
John E Jacobsen
Feb 3 2011 06:33

This would be a perfect fight for a Solidarity Network - we win fights around stolen wages quite often. Even without one, its totally feasible to launch a campaign around this. Would you want to do this? Get in touch with me or another SeaSol organizer on here if you do.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Feb 3 2011 22:51

Have you researched the company, F? Do they have other business interests you might be able to picket? Or, as 888 suggested, have you tried to find the names and addresses of owners/managers with whom you might be able to pay a surprise visit?

Jared
Feb 7 2011 09:46

If you can get some support then it will be worth it, regardless of the amount. Anything that helps you and raises some awareness/struggle is a good thing.

May be facing a fight myself: in order to get our rent bond back, the property manager we rented from last year is making us go back and clean behind the oven — even though it was an absolute tip when we moved in and had been asking them to paint behind there all year! It's tempting to try the legal channel but I think trying more direct options first is the way to go...

Good luck with it all!

gypsy
Feb 7 2011 10:04
flaneur wrote:

I'm in two minds whether it's worth going to greater lengths over £60 quid or so, even though it's a bloody cheek of them to be wrangling out of paying. I'm due to speak to the manager at Office Angels so perhaps it could be sorted easily, though I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck mate.

Topic locked