What should replace the London bookfair?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
radicalgraffiti
Dec 28 2017 16:03

i think most of the people on this thread are not form london, so there is little they can do even if they want to

Wayne
Jan 10 2018 17:34

Maybe just hold it on Tumblr? Would save on venue costs and stuff? Just an idea so feel free to shoot me down.

jc
Feb 9 2018 18:41

Sorry in advance for necroposting smile

Agree with Rob Ray that criticising from the back seat's a bad idea. But there's no harm in looking at the things the London bookfair did really well:

* Childcare. Despite hearing several people talk about how much better Bristol is because they have a safer spaces policy, no-one mentions that in many years London has had a proper childcare space where you could actually leave your kids. This makes a huge difference to how inclusive it is, more than a list of policies on a piece of paper imo
* Access. Despite the criticisms, Disabled People Against the Cuts was one of the most prominent stalls and also a speaker. Having read all the effort the collective went to with lift keys, etc, I doubt any of the other bookfairs put in this amount of effort
* Internationalism. The bookfair hasn't just put in a lot of time and effort to get speakers from overseas, they've also organised speaking tours for some of them. Getting Lorenzo KomBoa Ervin and Jonina Abron Erivn (two former black panthers) to tour the UK was a major contribution to anarchist anti-racism, and hard work to organise (I was involved in one leg of the tour and we definitely didn't make it easy for the London lot!). How many letter-signers have contributed that much in practice?

Whatever happens instead of the London bookfair I hope it matches up to this, and that the other bookfairs manage to replicate the best things the London one's been doing for years!

Lucky Black Cat's picture
Lucky Black Cat
Feb 11 2018 22:15
Khawaga wrote:
Spikey wrote:
Apart from that a less ambitious seminar/bookstall style event aimed more specifically at including genuine class struggle communist organisations across the Marxian/anarchist spectrum (and excluding the more liberal/reformist elements) might be worth a go??

I'd say a class struggle book fair is a better than the usual big-tent anarchist ones.

I love the idea of a class struggle bookfair. And it would probably be easier to get more attendance from ordinary (non-radical) working class people, because they won't be put off by the word "anarchist."

That said, the Anarchist Bookfair has had an important influence in my life. It was an Anarchism 101 workshop at the bookfair that got me to give up my flirtation with Leninism.

darren p's picture
darren p
Feb 12 2018 09:27
Lucky Black Cat wrote:
I love the idea of a class struggle bookfair. And it would probably be easier to get more attendance from ordinary (non-radical) working class people, because they won't be put off by the word "anarchist."

There's already the Alliance of Radical Booksellers organised Radical Bookfair on 2nd June this year in London.

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 12 2018 11:09

Ah, I wasn't aware. I don't live round there.

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 12 2018 11:10

Still, I think "class-struggle" narrows in on a particular set of politics that I'm more likely to be down with than "radical."

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 12 2018 11:27

In any case, I don't mean any disrespect to the anarchist bookfair. My apologies. Like I said, the anarchist bookfair played an important role in my political development, and it has for other comrades I know. (Not the London one, but I imagine it's pretty much the same wherever you are.)

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 12 2018 12:21
Khawaga wrote:
by limiting it to just "anarchist" you miss a lot of people that may otherwise be receptive to the ideas put forward,

I'm rereading this thread (only skimmed it before posting) and just realized I repeated the exact point you made here as if I was the first to say it.......... even though I quoted the beginning of your post. My bad.

Apparently I'm awkward at social interaction even on the internet!

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Feb 12 2018 14:02

No worries, Lucky Black Cat. wink