Whole Foods solidarity pickets - feedback from the US?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 22 2011 17:21
Whole Foods solidarity pickets - feedback from the US?

London SF held a picket today in support of a victimised Whole Foods worker. I know pickets were taking place all across the US and I'd be keen to hear if any of our American posters were involved or have any further info?

------------

Today saw the London Solidarity Federation hold a picket in support of a victimised Whole Foods worker. The action was held in conjunction with protests in Boston, New York, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, Reno and San Francisco.

The demonstration had been called in defense of Natalia, a San Francisco Whole Foods worker who was sacked for speaking up in support of herself and her workmates and took place outside the Soho branch of Whole Foods in London.

The picket was a resounding success. SF members turned up from both the North and South London locals (including a visitor from Hull SF) and were supported by Anarchist Federation members and trade unionists. Public reaction was overwhelmingly positive, with numerous customers not only vocalising support, but refusing to go into the shop. Some of the most vociferous supporters even went into the store to speak to management about the abuses taking place in San Francisco. This activity was bolstered even further as SolFedders entered the store to speak to and flier customers directly.

Our message to Whole Foods is simple: International solidarity will continue until Natalia is reinstated with back pay.

syndicalist
Dec 22 2011 23:06

Sorry, I've not heard about this. Can someone provide some background or a link?

tastybrain
Dec 22 2011 23:15

Wow yes totally missed this or I would have hit up the one in Boston.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Dec 22 2011 23:26

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Natalia-at-Whole-Foods/237561452981445

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Dec 22 2011 23:33

Sorry I couldn't make it down people, had too much christmas shite to do. Looks pretty successful though. Well done to all that went!

sabot's picture
sabot
Dec 23 2011 06:24

I heard there were a few from Portland picketing but found out about the action to late to see for myself.

syndicalist
Dec 23 2011 16:33

Right. I get the issues of the campaign. That's all I was interested in.

action_now
Dec 23 2011 18:36

this should have been played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myZU2DZoD9w

ludd's picture
ludd
Dec 23 2011 20:57

maybe better

Awesome action! Though I wish I had known about it earlier (before it happened).

Harrison
Dec 23 2011 21:20

it was great fun

the boss tried to buy us all coffee at one point !

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 23 2011 21:34
Quote:
Though I wish I had known about it earlier (before it happened).

Yeah, a lot of folks have been saying that. I think the plan was spring it unknowingly on Whole Foods in a big coordinated action. So there was no public advertising beforehand.

Do send an email in support of Natalia if you haven't done so already:

Quote:
Please voice your demand for Natalia's reinstatement at Whole Foods by signing this petition and contacting Whole Foods Regional President David Lannon by emailing david.lannon@wholefoods.com or calling 510-428-7400.

Online Petition at Change.org: 
http://www.change.org/petitions/justice-for-natalia-at-whole-foods-reinstatement-now

action_now
Dec 24 2011 11:08
Harrison wrote:
the boss tried to buy us all coffee at one point !

i hope you took it.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 24 2011 11:15

What?! We would never engage in such blatant class collaboration wink

They were shitting themselves tho, they really had no idea what to do about us. Also, a comrade there introduced me to "cop whispering", which is a hell of a skill to have.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Dec 24 2011 13:18
Chilli Sauce wrote:
What?! We would never engage in such blatant class collaboration wink

They were shitting themselves tho, they really had no idea what to do about us. Also, a comrade there introduced me to "cop whispering", which is a hell of a skill to have.

????? is that like horse whispering, but with cops?

Caiman del Barrio
Dec 24 2011 13:21

Chilli Sauce, yesterday:

Harrison
Dec 24 2011 19:15

the com explained it quite well; you can't reason with police, so instead you talk carefully crafted rubbish in order to try and nudge them toward letting you get your way

tastybrain
Dec 24 2011 19:45
ludd wrote:
maybe better

Awesome action! Though I wish I had known about it earlier (before it happened).

haha this is hilarious

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 26 2011 17:55
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Chilli Sauce, yesterday:

So which one am I in that picture? cool