ftony
Feb 7 2006 16:10

well touché!

i never saw that coming

roll eyes

enelpozo
Feb 8 2006 17:40
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
We don't need a group before we can have a forum! :)

that's true. But it's a little disheartening when all these forums and email lists pop up, and you think progress is being made etc. etc. but it never does.

The internet is useful for some things, but it mostly serves as a distraction in my opinion.

The important thing is actually getting stuff done (whatever 'stuff' is roll eyes )

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Feb 8 2006 19:20
enelpozo wrote:

The internet is useful for some things, but it mostly serves as a distraction in my opinion.

Sorry but i think thats a very old fashioned attitude which sadly the left is riddled with, but then i'd have to think to that to justify what i do!

As for a lewisham forum - nah bad idea, once this forum is full of people tlaking about lewisham, then maybe there can be a lewisham forum wink

enelpozo
Feb 8 2006 20:02

I don't think it's old fashioned at all. Like I said, the internet has it's uses: these forums bring people from all over the country, and the world, together so as they can discuss politics and other things and hopefully organise 'actions' etc.

But when you're talking about a forum which would bring together people from a small geographical area (like Lewisham), there's not much point.

These people should be meeting regularly in real life.

What I mean about the emails lists and forums being a distraction is that you can spend so much time on them, discussing anarchism and all the various related ideas, and discussing how many stickers to get printed and when meetings should be held... there's a feeling that you're actually doing something. And I get this feeling too. You get the feeling that this is progress. I don't think it is.

It makes me wonder how much more would get done towards creating an anarchist communist society if we went back to the turn of the 20th century when we had no choice but to communicate face-to-face with people.

Anyway, I'm allowed to be old-fashioned now, I found my first grey hair the other week, and I've not long turned 21 cry

martinh
Feb 9 2006 15:11
enelpozo wrote:
I don't think it's old fashioned at all. Like I said, the internet has it's uses: these forums bring people from all over the country, and the world, together so as they can discuss politics and other things and hopefully organise 'actions' etc.

But when you're talking about a forum which would bring together people from a small geographical area (like Lewisham), there's not much point.

These people should be meeting regularly in real life.

They should, not sure whether they do, though.

Quote:
It makes me wonder how much more would get done towards creating an anarchist communist society if we went back to the turn of the 20th century when we had no choice but to communicate face-to-face with people.

Anyway, I'm allowed to be old-fashioned now, I found my first grey hair the other week, and I've not long turned 21 cry

Face to face is good, and a lot better than internet where people are too quick to respond without the check of having a real life person in front of them.

Anyway, I can think of uses for a Lewisham forum, such as needing a babysitter for Saturday (or Sunday) night wink

Regards,

Martin