"Anarchist" education?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
appledoze
May 14 2011 20:02
"Anarchist" education?

I think many of us can agree that one of the biggest threats to freedom is the politicization of schooling and education, as seen in many fascist and "communist" states. I have heard of the free skools concept for developing skills and values that would be needed in a libertarian communist society, but how exactly would this be carried out and passed on in a manner that's not indoctrinating?

NoRefunds's picture
NoRefunds
May 14 2011 20:47

It is impossible to raise children without providing them with information, information which is always skewed in some direction or another. It is impossible to be unbiased in education, and it is impossible to raise a child who is not biased in favor of an opinion, usually that of the parents or the society. However, if we raise children to have critical thinking skills, to question, and have a distrust in authority, it becomes much harder for us to call this bias "indoctrination," as questioning whatever maxims society presents would be encouraged, and acceptance for its own sake being seen as foolish. Todays education system is entirely the opposite.

Croy's picture
Croy
May 27 2011 19:40

I think I largely agree with everything you said. The thing about it being impossible not to be biased comes into history also, my history teacher hence doesn't like us using the word bias, and instead says its better to use the word perspective, but he does not agree with the people that think its impossible to be objective with history, a view which I think has some merit.

Croy's picture
Croy
May 28 2011 20:19

david tinney, a corporate big boss in sky, came to speak at our school recently. I was sickened by the presentation he gave. He talked about how to become 'successful' and talked about how people were just essentially like companies providing services. Totally de humanised people as just commodities. Heres a site of his, which is remarkably shit, you would expect a flashy one from a rich business guy. It had everything you would expect, powerpoints and made up acronyms.

Croy's picture
Croy
May 28 2011 20:21

http://www.advancedknowledgesystems.co.uk/index.html