Last post
888's picture
Aug 18 2015 05:43
Evilarchy

The new fad in edginess after egoism:

Quote:
In Defense of Cruelty

2:00pm – 3:30pm
The politics that seduces us is not ethical, it is cruel. Few emotions burnlike cruelty. Those motivated by cruelty are neither fair nor impartial.Their actions speak with an intensity that does not desire permission, letalone seek it. While social anarchism sings lullabies of altruism, thereare those who play with the hot flames of cruelty.There are two parts to our defense of cruelty in this workshop. First, wecritique anarchist do-gooders and prefiguration. Second, we elaborate onfour principles of political cruelty: masochism, civil war, partisanship,and revenge.

http://seattleanarchistbookfair.net/talk-descriptions

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Aug 18 2015 10:14

Strangely, upon reading that, I had this sudden desire to be cruel as fuck to the authors of such shit. I wasn't that impressed with the other talks either.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Aug 18 2015 10:15

Make for a good cage fight with the Dupontists.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 18 2015 10:25

Fucking hell Serge! Did you really have to remind this incredibly cantankerous, unforgiving, intolerant old bastard that one of the best books ever written was made into a festering pile of horseshit of a film?
Now I'll have to try to relieve my stress by posting a totally unsolicited and extremely antagonistic animal lib comment, probably on an unrelated thread.
Your fault, not mine.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 18 2015 10:35

DP

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Aug 18 2015 10:49

also "interesting":

Quote:
Horror as Subversion

11:45am – 1:15pm
There is something fundamentally subversive in cultural horror artifacts. The moment of horror, its axis point, introduces into the seemingly smooth veneer of the social totality an anachronism, an interstitial bubble that threatens, by its presence, to weaken or even subsume the edifice of civilization. In this presentation we will examine the Italian exploitation film Cannibal Holocaust (1980) as an example of the subversive potential of horror artifacts. Cannibal Holocaust (CH) is easily one of the most controversial films ever made and distributed, on release the director Ruggero Deodato was arrested for homicide and the film was subsequently banned in a number of countries, including the UK, Germany, Iceland and New Zealand. In the film a TV documentary crew is sent to locate and record cannibal tribes in Amazonia; in doing so CH calls into question the Cold War, Third World resource extraction, the veracity of the mainstream media and contemplates the nature of civilization and the Primitive. The main critical themes of the movie will be discussed and some scenes will be shown to illustrate these plot elements. One reviewer described CH as an,” angry, ugly film,” and we will be viewing and discussing some of the most repugnant scenes. Viewer discretion is advised.

reminds me of an article I've read around 20 years ago in an leftwing Austrian government science student rag about Nightmare on Elm Street, basically saying that the main topic of that movie is middle class discomfort about proletarian virility

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Aug 18 2015 11:14
Webby wrote:
Fucking hell Serge! Did you really have to remind this incredibly cantankerous, unforgiving, intolerant old bastard that one of the best books ever written was made into a festering pile of horseshit of a film?
Now I'll have to try to relieve my stress by posting a totally unsolicited and extremely antagonistic animal lib comment, probably on an unrelated thread.
Your fault, not mine.

Sorry. This any better?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 18 2015 11:21

Shit! That looks uncannily like me. Now you know why I'm such a grumpy old bastard.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 18 2015 11:31

DP

Fnordie's picture
Fnordie
Aug 18 2015 12:05

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Aug 18 2015 13:54

I dunno about Cannibal Holocaust or the Walking Dead (also referenced), but you'd have to say from that bookfair talk list that if anyone ever invents an anti-hipster virus, Seattle is going to look like 48 Days Later.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 18 2015 15:50
Webby wrote:
Your fault, not mine.

Right then, as promised. All meat eaters have smelly feet and rarely change their knickers.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 19 2015 10:35
Webby wrote:
Your fault, not mine.

The film and the book aren't the same but the film is still good .

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 19 2015 12:43

I'll grant that it's beautifully shot with great sets but the positive ends right there. Surely if you're going to use a title and follow the storyline then you should be making the same point as the book. Well, if for no other reason than the film missing the third section of the book, it fails in this spectacularly. I know that the American publication of the book missed the third section too but that's no excuse. Add to this the horrific miscasting and the blundering script which is devoid of the fabulous wit and intelligence of little Alex this is nothing other than a pretty shock movie. The book extracts the very essence of individualism and exposes it's futile nastiness, whilst the film exposes nothing at all other than the ego and dumbfuckery of the film industry.