DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Looking for Marx quote

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
yoda's walking stick
Jul 4 2011 14:37
Looking for Marx quote

Jeez, I just read Capital a few weeks ago and I already forgot where in the book what I'm looking for is.

Anyway, I'm writing an essay about Modern Times, by Charlie Chaplin. I'm looking for a particular quote from Capital in which Marx says the division of labor turns the works into a fraction of a person, that it castrates her or something. I can't remember the exact wording, but I remember it being almost like a medical metaphor.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Jul 4 2011 14:55

Probably this one - section 5 of chapter 14 of volume 1:-

While simple co-operation leaves the mode of working by the individual for the most part unchanged, manufacture thoroughly revolutionises it, and seizes labour-power by its very roots. It converts the labourer into a crippled monstrosity, by forcing his detail dexterity at the expense of a world of productive capabilities and instincts; just as in the States of La Plata they butcher a whole beast for the sake of his hide or his tallow. Not only is the detail work distributed to the different individuals, but the individual himself is made the automatic motor of a fractional operation, and the absurd fable of Menenius Agrippa, which makes man a mere fragment of his own body, becomes realised

yoda's walking stick
Jul 4 2011 14:59

That's it! Thank you.

Somehow fragment became fraction in my mind, and crippled became castrated.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 4 2011 16:28

Fuck, Marx really is a beautiful writer.