DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Paul Goodman..on 'hipsterism'

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ya_Pasta
Dec 4 2011 22:50
Paul Goodman..on 'hipsterism'

from the Paul Goodman (1911–1972) reader, p155 PM press:

"... the hipster cannot afford to lose himself [sic], or even to become unselfconscious. He must be ahead of every game. Then he cannot grow by loving or believing anything worthwhile, and he exhausts himself in business with what he holds in contempt, deepening his own cynicism and self-contempt. But hipsterism does provide the satisfaction of mastery and victory which ward off his panic of powerlessness, passivity and emasculation. Hipsterism is a philosophy of chronic emergency,during which communication consists of camouflage and secrecy, 'playing it cool', or of gambits of attack to get the upper hand."

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Dec 4 2011 23:47

"Hipsterism" is just another boogeyman like "individualism" and "lifestylism" anyway. More often than not, turned into some kind of pejorative catch-all for basically anything.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Dec 5 2011 02:46

^hipster

Ya_Pasta
Dec 5 2011 06:00

I'm not into hipster bashing at all. It's a tedious joke at best. But Goodman's characterization definitely describes a mindset I'm familiar with. Bear in mind that he wrote this at least 40 years ago, long before "the hipster" became the butt of all jokes.

Goodman is pretty great actually. I'm just reading him for the first time. I've read some of his essays on education and a few short essays of his on anarchism - so far haven't found anything disagreeable.

Ya_Pasta
Dec 5 2011 06:01

ps: how can i change my username?! : [

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 5 2011 07:50

I think it's a great username!

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Dec 5 2011 10:24
Ya_Pasta wrote:
I'm not into hipster bashing at all. It's a tedious joke at best. But Goodman's characterization definitely describes a mindset I'm familiar with. Bear in mind that he wrote this at least 40 years ago, long before "the hipster" became the butt of all jokes.

Didn't mean to imply you were, but to me the whole hipsterism thing has gotten just so nebulous, it's come to describe basically anything... kind of like "petty bourgeois" or "middle class", lol.

And I like your name too.

riot_dude
Dec 5 2011 12:25
Quote:
And I like your name too.

It's a bit middle class.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Dec 5 2011 17:37

I like pasta, though I read it as it sounds as in the Glesga 'Ya_Basta'. I took it as a kinda pun.

Ya_Pasta
Dec 5 2011 20:38
Auld-bod wrote:
I took it as a kinda pun.

Yeah, I definitely meant it as a play on Ya Basta. It's a bad pun, but I guess I'll live with it...at least it isn't a tattoo

Croy's picture
Croy
Dec 6 2011 20:16
Railyon wrote:

Didn't mean to imply you were, but to me the whole hipsterism thing has gotten just so nebulous, it's come to describe basically anything... kind of like "petty bourgeois" or "middle class"

I am guilty of this a lot it seems. Although I always mention the middle class as part of taking the piss out of them, not anywhere else, because I don't really there is such thing as middle class anymore.

Anyway, I think I read this article, although I cant remember where from. Has this been on libcom before ?

Picket's picture
Picket
Dec 6 2011 20:23
Ya_Pasta wrote:
I'm not into hipster bashing at all. It's a tedious joke at best.

Nathan Barley is pretty fucking funny though...

Boris Badenov
Dec 6 2011 20:39

Somewhat off-topic, but there is a new documentary about Paul Goodman that just came out (last year I think).

mikail firtinaci's picture
mikail firtinaci
Dec 7 2011 00:17

Hipsterism is the darkest expression of lumpen-petty bourgeois nihilism - it is hippie stupidity turned sarcastic. So it is a proof of correctness of decadence theory grin

Alf's picture
Alf
Dec 7 2011 08:33

Saw this joke in some Middle Class colour supplement recently:

"How many hipsters does it take to change a light bulb?"

"What, you don't know?"

the button's picture
the button
Dec 7 2011 08:43
Alf wrote:
Saw this joke in some Middle Class colour supplement recently:

"How many hipsters does it take to change a light bulb?"

"What, you don't know?"

^ Alf was into the communist mileau before it went mainstream. cool

Alf's picture
Alf
Dec 7 2011 10:40

I knew teh button before he learnt to spell 'the' (although, lacking my savoir faire parisienne, he still can't spell 'milieu').

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Dec 7 2011 10:44
mikail firtinaci wrote:
Hipsterism is the darkest expression of lumpen-petty bourgeois nihilism - it is hippie stupidity turned sarcastic. So it is a proof of correctness of decadence theory grin

I always thought "hippies turned bitter and sarcastic" ended up in the Doom scene.

Like, early Black Sabbath and the music scene that sprung forth from that... Electric Wizard, Goatsnake, Reverend Bizarre...peaking in the really fucking dark stuff like Suma, Accept Death and Men In Search Of The Perfect Weapon.

Also, if I ever hear someone say hippie in a pejorative way, I'm gonna kill a kitten.

Think of the kittens.

mikail firtinaci's picture
mikail firtinaci
Dec 7 2011 10:58
Quote:
Also, if I ever hear someone say hippie in a pejorative way, I'm gonna kill a kitten.

I thought hippie was a pejorative word. Is there anybody calling herself hippie still? smile

About black sabbath: please Railyon... Metal music is the genuine expression of THE proletarian art form and its contemporary relative decline is only the expression of the fact that the old mole is in the underground for now...

see: motorhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZxelSc62Y

the button's picture
the button
Dec 7 2011 11:23
Alf wrote:
I knew teh button before he learnt to spell 'the' (although, lacking my savoir faire parisienne, he still can't spell 'milieu').

You've had more practice writing it than me, to be fair. I was using the same mnemonic I use to spell "beautiful," i.e. "Bad Eggs Are Useless."

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Dec 7 2011 11:25
mikail firtinaci wrote:
About black sabbath: please Railyon... Metal music is the genuine expression of THE proletarian art form and its contemporary relative decline is only the expression of the fact that the old mole is in the underground for now...

Lost me on the "old mole"...

And I can't say metal is a proletarian art form anymore, gotten so mainstream it's become middle class or worse, "cross-class" LOL.

Especially those metalcore guys seem to be predominately rich kids teen angsters. Though there is some good stuff in there, All Shall Perish have some nice lyrics (on The Price of Existence, I'm thinking of songs like "Wage Slave" or "There's No Business To Be Done On A Dead Planet")

Though stuff like Job For A Cowboy, the old one, is a fucking joke.

...but hey, I guess we're drifting away here.

bastarx
Dec 7 2011 11:40

The full communist position is that metalcore is shit.

Way to take the worst parts of metal and punk and make something far worse you retards.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Dec 7 2011 11:52
Peter wrote:

Way to take the worst parts of metal and punk and make something far worse you retards.

That kind of sounds like the old GDR First Secretary Walter Ulbricht when he condemned rock'n'roll music.

"We don't need to import all the bullshit that's cool in the West", my paraphrasing.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Dec 7 2011 13:21

In my opinion only boilermakers can truly appreciate heavy metal. To the rest of us it’s only a distant echo of the resounding rivet gun.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Dec 7 2011 14:35

BLACK FUCKING SABBATH MOTHER FUCKER YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Dec 7 2011 14:49

Sabbath looking particularly bad at Live Aid

Croy's picture
Croy
Dec 7 2011 18:40
Peter wrote:

amen

regoose jeter's picture
regoose jeter
Dec 7 2011 23:16

lol

i don't think i like paul goodman anyway!!