DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Trying to understand sexual harassment

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
yoda's walking stick
Nov 3 2011 04:20
Trying to understand sexual harassment

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/ap-exclusive-third-worker-1215150.html

OK, I really hope people don't take this as trolling, because I don't mean it to be. I'm honestly unsure. What's the crime that Cain committed here? Is it that he asked a someone back to his apartment while in the workplace, or that he did so while he was the head of the National Restaurant Association? Is it specifically the employer-employee relationship which makes this harassment? Because most, or many people, I know meet their romantic partners in the workplace. Are the advances criminal because they were continued after it was made clear they were unwanted? Because you can't always know whether an advance is wanted until after they're made the first time, right? Again, I'm not trying to be a troll. I'm just a person who's trying to be less of a privilege-denying dude and fully understand the issues here. Thanks so much for any answers. smile

I wish there were some female posters here. I don't really trust the answers of dude nation here. I feel like Revol knows a lot about feminism. So I'd like to hear what he has to say.

la.rain's picture
la.rain
Nov 8 2011 19:49

Q. why is this sexual harassment?
A. read the first line of the article, the clue is in 'aggressive and unwanted behaviour'

la.rain's picture
la.rain
Nov 8 2011 19:51

Also if you're trying to be less of a privilege denying dude maybe you should think twice before lamenting the lack of women around to talk to you about women's issues. And questioning people's experiences of sexual harassment.

sawa
Nov 8 2011 21:14
la.rain wrote:
Also if you're trying to be less of a privilege denying dude maybe you should think twice before lamenting the lack of women around to talk to you about women's issues. And questioning people's experiences of sexual harassment.

This.

Certainly don't make sexual advances on women in an inappropriate place, where they are not comfortable, when you have a position of power over them, where they can't get away easily, and if ya do so be fucking respectful.
If ya aint sure, then DON'T.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Nov 8 2011 21:37

Come ooooon man. you ALWAYS know when an 'advance' isn't wanted! I don't understand how people get themselves in a position of saying 'I didn't know she wasn't interested'.

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
Nov 9 2011 00:25

The OP is just astonishing. I notice something entirely new that's wrong with it every time I read it. Like, generally I've been fine with Yoda's questions, and they sometimes (accidentally) led to interesting discussions. But how do you even begin to engage with someone who is "trying to understand" how when a man in a position of huge power over someone makes advances on someone who has made it clear they aren't interested, then "what crime has been committed".

Like, what answer are you even expecting? The original premise repeated back to you?

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 10 2011 02:17

See what I mean?

Anyway, Yoda, to actually be constructive here, a feminist woman has written a guide just for you! This is to show men how to hit on women without the danger of scaring, harassing or hurting them in any way. I wish you luck and a life without harassing or assaulting women.

Harrison
Nov 10 2011 22:58

'Sexual Harassment' - what is there to understand? The clue is in the phrase.

yoda wrote:
I don't really trust the answers of dude nation here. I feel like Revol knows a lot about feminism. So I'd like to hear what he has to say.

slight contradiction here

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 10 2011 23:22
Harrison wrote:
'Sexual Harassment' - what is there to understand? The clue is in the phrase.
yoda wrote:
I don't really trust the answers of dude nation here. I feel like Revol knows a lot about feminism. So I'd like to hear what he has to say.

slight contradiction here

Yoda only wants the opinions of previous posters with a history of sexually harassing new female posters. An inside view, as it were, of harassment.