DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

What's a good companion to Capital Vl. 2

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
yoda's walking stick
Jul 23 2011 17:33
What's a good companion to Capital Vl. 2

I'm thinking of taking on Volume 2 at some point. But I know I can't do it by myself. I'm really looking for something like David Harvey's lectures for Vl. 1, but I don't think he's done it for the second title yet.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 23 2011 17:44

There is no companion as far as I know (at least in English or Norwegian). I've been looking for one as well. There might be stuff in other languages. Harvey is supposed to do a series of lectures on both Vols. 2 and 3.

Still, I don't think you need a companion necessarily. Vol.2 is much easier to read than Vol. 1. It's only the last third that gets difficult, but that's because it's filled with one algebraic example after another.

Mavis
Jul 23 2011 18:53

Actually Harvey has supposedly finished the recording for Vol. 2 and it is currently in the editing process so it should probably go online in a few months.

http://davidharvey.org/2011/06/update-on-capital-volume-ii-course/

Angelus Novus
Jul 23 2011 20:08

Michael Heinrich's Critique of Political Economy. An introduction to the three volumes of Marx's Capital

Hopefully to be published someday in English.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 23 2011 20:10

Have you found a publisher yet?

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Jul 23 2011 20:59

the first section/third of luxemburg's accumulation of capital (and to a lesser extent the rest of the book) is a pretty good 'companion' to the difficult third part of volume II

as Khawaga says the first two parts are fairly easy going (if fairly dry, but important) stuff. You definitely notice a difference in the writing style though and lack of 'gothic-ness', which i guess is partly due to the subject matter, but also because he never got the chance to polish it off/complete it himself - so it does have the feel of a half finished work in parts (particularly the third part) - also the lack of richness of the footnotes is another thing that is quite striking about it compared to vol 1

anyone who has got through volume I shouldn't be intimidated by the other two volumes though - although it's worth taking as much time as it needs to get your head round the third part. For all its faults, inconsistencies, contradictions and half thought through ramblings, this area is massively under appreciated and overlooked by most marxist chin scratchers and other than luxemburg hasn't really been engaged with in any way since. The amount of time they spend wanking over things like the transformation 'problem' or value-form or internal (in)consistency is ridiculous, when important areas like this are relatively ignored

S. Artesian
Jul 23 2011 21:34

To vol 2? 750 ml of Stolichnaya Cristal

yoda's walking stick
Jul 23 2011 21:39

I for one aspire to be a marxist chin scratcher

edit: and i'm bummed there's no libravox recording of vl. 2. Get on it Libcommers!

jura's picture
jura
Jul 23 2011 22:06

Artesian, the proper way of saying that is "750 grams of ..." smile