Why traveller kids got purged from CrimethInc.?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
AR
Jun 29 2009 13:55
Why traveller kids got purged from CrimethInc.?

This text is a commentary to http://www.crimethinc.com/texts/selected/purged.php

There is much ado on topic if anarchists should work or not, much of the debate is simply moralistic. It is surprising how far anarchists have evolved from materialism, which was such an influence to it in the 19th century. I do not say that anarchists should become hardcore materialists, as materialism may be brought to absurdity, which is the case with the primitivists. However a good dose of materialism would bring much sense to this and many other debates.

I am not a moralist and I do not want to criticize drop outs for their lack of “work ethic”. Any dropout has way much more to do with working class mentality than an idealist, who goes to work in a factory in order to “share reality of the working class” and to “organise them”. Much of the working class would take attitude of the latter one as an insult, whereas it would rather envy than disdain the first. Vast majority of the people do not become wage-slaves if they do not have to.

Also, not many of the dropouts are proposing, that their lifestyle is an alternative to capitalism. Most of them figure out very well, that it is just one way to survive capitalism, at times more bearable, at times less. So there is no any “ideological” problem in dropping out. And just as any other ideology, ideology of dropping out is borne from material conditions of the reality, which in their turn are shaped by ideology, so we have a recursive relation between the two. However dropping out has some problems from materialistic point of view, and these problems are good to consider for anyone who plans to dropout.

To put it shortly – whereas main antagonist of wage labour is the capital, main antagonist of a dropout is pretty often another dropout. Dropouts live in the margins of the capitalistic society, feeding from the waste and surplus capitalism produces more while economy of the scale is rising. Formation of the class of dropouts is conditions of advanced capitalism is mere a law of nature, as differently from capitalism, nature does not waste.

However no matter how much economics of the scale of capitalism grows, amount of waste is always limited. Thus more people are dropping out, more scarce the resources you may extract from waste become. You maybe have experienced the disappointment upon revelation, that someone has visited your favorite dumpster diving spot few hours before, and there is nothing usable left. And enter the survival of the fittest.

And this is where ideological struggle comes to play. Suddenly, not every dropout is cool – only your original vanguard posse is cool, rest are just parasites and unimaginative plagiarists, eating from dumps you found first and exhausting scams you were first to exploit. But in reality, only moral argument against these “traveller kids” is that you were there first – same argument right-wing populists in the West use against immigrants, and zionists use against palestinians.

More squats there are in a city, more closed they are. My friends have stayed overnight in a squat only to hear the next morning that guests are billed for staying there. Some hangaround-lefty acquintances of mine from North of Europe with a less crusty outlook visited a squat in Barcelona just to read event announcements at the wall, next day there was a placate “not for tourists” at the entrance.

Is this moral corruption of the movement, which could be combatted at the ideological level? No it is not, as enclosures and elitism are just logical result of the class composition of the dropouts. For a free cake, there will be always more takers than supply, so if you got your piece you will have to learn how to defence it. Thus purge in CrimethInc. was not the first such a purge, nor it will be the last one.

Of course, one may point to primitive hunter-gatherer societies, which reached equilibriums which lasted up to tens of thousands of years without elitism and enclosures. But difference between between paleolithic and urban hunter-gatherers is that latter do not live in a closed system, but in a larger society, where everyone has a choice wether to drop out or not. In a way, it is ideal situation if state and capital get worried because of the popularity of dropping out, and start to combat it, by legistlation against squatting and free parties, CCTV cameras, biometrics in ID cards, putting locks on trashbins and by other usual means such as the good old beating the shit out from you. This may create some unity and solidarity between dropouts, so that they are less focused on fighting each other. However due to enlarging and unavoidable global economical crisis and failures to control migration, state and capitalists are getting less and less worried about guaranteeing a steady supply of labor force. Thus in future, we will see less and less attempts which may consolidate class of dropouts, thus we will see more and more of them attacking each other.

futility index
Jun 29 2009 22:02
Quote:
Any dropout has way much more to do with working class mentality than an idealist, who goes to work in a factory in order to “share reality of the working class” and to “organise them”.

So what exactly makes your hypothetical 'idealist' not part of the working class?

Quote:
Much of the working class would take attitude of the latter one as an insult, whereas it would rather envy than disdain the first. Vast majority of the people do not become wage-slaves if they do not have to.

AR
Jul 1 2009 10:56

I did not claimed that idealist is not part of the working class, just that his attitude is different from vast majority of the working class.

bzfgt
Jul 6 2009 06:05

What's "materialist" about primitivism?

Sheldon's picture
Sheldon
Jul 6 2009 20:56
bzfgt wrote:
What's "materialist" about primitivism?

That's exactly what I was wondering.

GoaRedStar
Jul 10 2009 02:33

Primitivism is more in line with idealist thought, in fact I doubt there is any shred of "materialist" or scientific thought in their approach to viewing the world.