Heads Up (A)-Syndicalists!

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Offline
Joined: 17-07-06
Mar 17 2004 22:40
Heads Up (A)-Syndicalists!

Err, Rkn, none of the links from Anarchosyndicalism.org seem to be working. I can try and find the texts again if you want but I'd suggest that you took the thing off until then.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Offline
Joined: 17-07-06
Mar 18 2004 23:58

Yeah fucking anarchosyndicalims website has gone down!!!!!!!!!!

Well see if it comes up again.

brizzul
Offline
Joined: 7-10-03
Mar 19 2004 03:07

I'm not whinging or anything but the wikipedia page doesn't know what it's talking about & includes a link that suggests it's a tool that can be used by fascists ("national syndicalists"). Sorry I don't mean to kick you while you're down but it reads like a university propfessors version of a/s

Steve
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 19 2004 08:34

Well that's exactly why anarcho-syndicalists dislike the academic theorising that's goes on sometimes on the left. It also has a link to George Sorel who academics always quote. He had nothing to do with the syndicalist movement at all.

How about a link to the SelfEd "History of anarcho-syndicalism" course?

pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Offline
Joined: 9-10-03
Mar 19 2004 10:52

The self-ed "history of anarco-syndicalism" is an absolutely brilliant resource. SolFed should really push that: it is one of the best things I have ever found to get people interested in anarchism.

red n black star

Steve
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 19 2004 11:59

Cheers for that, glad you liked it. A collective effort! Some of us want to publish it as a book, a sort of intro to the history of but basically it's lack of time and money to a certain extent. There are also a couple of gaps that need filling notably a history of the Italian movement and maybe other European ones such as Poland and Bulgaria.

pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Offline
Joined: 9-10-03
Mar 19 2004 12:36

Hello Steve.

I think that publishing it as a cheap book would be an excellent idea: I for one would buy several copies. If this ever becomes a serious project i'd be happy to help fundraise for it. Might even be able to rope some other AFers into it...... wink

red n black star circle A

Augusto_Sandino
Offline
Joined: 21-02-04
Mar 19 2004 13:52

Yes, please do publish a book. I too, would buy several copies. And the page on anarcho-syndicalism seems really excellent, apart from that alot of the links are to the disappeared anarchosyndicalism.org. sad

Augusto_Sandino
Offline
Joined: 21-02-04
Mar 19 2004 13:55

And if you do a book it might be interesting to find out about the South American CNTs. I read a tiny bit about them in the George Woodcock book, and they seemed really active in their time.

Steve
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 19 2004 15:08
Augusto_Sandino wrote:
And if you do a book it might be interesting to find out about the South American CNTs. I read a tiny bit about them in the George Woodcock book, and they seemed really active in their time.

They are still active! At the recent SF conference we had a report from our International Secretary and it included a lot from South American IWA sections/unions. Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Colombia are very active and are involved in some very bitter disputes. There seems to be a growing movement in Latin America in general.

Augusto_Sandino
Offline
Joined: 21-02-04
Mar 19 2004 20:14

Wow, thats really good.

Augusto_Sandino
Offline
Joined: 21-02-04
Mar 19 2004 20:15

Wow, thats really good.

brizzul
Offline
Joined: 7-10-03
Mar 22 2004 04:56
Steve wrote:
It also has a link to George Sorel who academics always quote. He had nothing to do with the syndicalist movement at all.

Sorel was a massive influence on the CGT which was the first union to use *only* syndicalist tactics. He's not very interesting these days though. I think he had a big hand in the (I think) Charter of Amiens (this is off the top of my head so I might have the wrong city there) which is one of the guiding documents of USI - AIT.

I actually have a beard and now I know why....

There seems to be a renewed interest in anarcho unionism & a few a/s with experience. Maybe we could do an internet page on how to do anarchism at work and get away with it?

Steve
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 22 2004 08:52
brizzul wrote:
Steve wrote:
It also has a link to George Sorel who academics always quote. He had nothing to do with the syndicalist movement at all.

Sorel was a massive influence on the CGT which was the first union to use *only* syndicalist tactics. He's not very interesting these days though. I think he had a big hand in the (I think) Charter of Amiens (this is off the top of my head so I might have the wrong city there) which is one of the guiding documents of USI - AIT.

I actually have a beard and now I know why....

There seems to be a renewed interest in anarcho unionism & a few a/s with experience. Maybe we could do an internet page on how to do anarchism at work and get away with it?

Sorry but I think you're wrong. Years ago I did a study of early anarcho-syndicalism and one thing was clear, Sorel had no influence on the CGT and certainly didn't have anything to do with the Charter of Amiens. That was written wholly by militants of the CGT, active workers not academics. He published 'Reflections on violence' which contained his theory of the "myth of the general strike" which is picked up by marxist and liberal academics to attack syndicalism.

I know you have a beard. Why are you mentioning it?

As for the final part it's a good idea. Maybe it could be part of the future plans of the SF? A page on our site or the SelfEd site.

AlexA
Offline
Joined: 16-09-03
Mar 22 2004 16:15
brizzul wrote:
I'm not whinging or anything but the wikipedia page doesn't know what it's talking about & includes a link that suggests it's a tool that can be used by fascists ("national syndicalists"). Sorry I don't mean to kick you while you're down but it reads like a university propfessors version of a/s

Well that's the brilliance of wikipedia - if you don't like it, just click "Edit this Page" at the bottom and change it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Syndicalism&action=edit

brizzul
Offline
Joined: 7-10-03
Mar 23 2004 01:56
Steve wrote:
Sorry but I think you're wrong. Years ago I did a study of early anarcho-syndicalism and one thing was clear, Sorel had no influence on the CGT and certainly didn't have anything to do with the Charter of Amiens. That was written wholly by militants of the CGT, active workers not academics. He published 'Reflections on violence' which contained his theory of the "myth of the general strike" which is picked up by marxist and liberal academics to attack syndicalism.

That'll teach me to talk out of the top of my head then.

Steve wrote:
I know you have a beard. Why are you mentioning it?

God knows

Steve wrote:
As for the final part it's a good idea. Maybe it could be part of the future plans of the SF? A page on our site or the SelfEd site.

I meant as part of our involvement in this site. Hardly anyone here is a SolFed member (as far as I can tell) not even all the work agitators.

brizzul
Offline
Joined: 7-10-03
Mar 26 2004 02:11

Ooops, sorry mixed Emile Pouget with that other bloke.