AF Solfed and Liberty and Soidarity

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steve_j
Mar 17 2010 17:15
AF Solfed and Liberty and Soidarity

Hey all, first post here so hello smile

Am hoping to get a little understanding about these three organisations so would appreciate a little info from their members, i understand there is quite a difference between them.

Im particularly looking to join a group for activism and education, kinda really want to stress the education part in terms of theory discussion and such.

Do plan to attend some meetings of each to see if any fit, but would like a little bit of feedback from their members first. So yeah, why should i join your group?

Feel free to ask any questions you have of myself, past activities and political views ect (saves me writing an essy)

Really appreciate any info.

Steve

Battlescarred
Mar 17 2010 17:38

What part of the world do you live?

Steve_j
Mar 17 2010 17:51

Ah yeah thats a good point, london smile

Yorkie Bar
Mar 17 2010 19:48

Hey Steve, welcome to the board smile.

If you're interested in learning more about Liberty & Solidarity, try asking at anarchistblackcat.org, which is a forum dedicated to platformist anarchism. Afaik there are no members of L&S who regularly post on libcom.org.

Steve wrote:
Am hoping to get a little understanding about these three organisations so would appreciate a little info from their members, i understand there is quite a difference between them.

I'd say there's a big difference between L&S and the other two. SolFed and the AF are very close on a lot of issues, and where two groups exist in the same city we tend to collaborate extensively with each other.

Did you have any particular questions or were you just looking for a general outline of who we are, what we do etc?

Steve wrote:
Im particularly looking to join a group for activism and education, kinda really want to stress the education part in terms of theory discussion and such.

If you're particularly interested in discussion etc. around class issues, have you come across the commune? They do a lot of open forums and meetings in London, you might want to check them out.

Steve_j
Mar 17 2010 20:34

Thanks comrade, hadnt come across the commune but i really like what i read, will try and get down to some of their meetings.

Ok so looking at Solfed and AF, just a general outline of what they do, not sure which one your with, but in terms of london (im in the south) how active are they, what campaigns are the involed in and these sorts of things.

In general terms what im looking for is to get involved in raising class consciousness (in general society as well as my own) as well as focusing on achieveable short term goals, ie suporting strikes, migrant support, antifacism, antimilitary and to an extent student activism ect

I guess i am more just looking to network more with like minded individuals.

Yorkie Bar
Mar 18 2010 14:10
Steve_j wrote:
Ok so looking at Solfed and AF, just a general outline of what they do, not sure which one your with, but in terms of london (im in the south) how active are they, what campaigns are the involved in and these sorts of things.

I'm with the AF (if you click on users names it takes you to a profile page which has political group membership on it).

Both SolFed and the AF are formal, dues-based organisations of anarchist-communists in the UK. If you haven't already read them, the aims of SolFed are available here and the aims and principles of the AF can be found here. Basically they outline what each group's politics are, and agreement with them is required for membership. As you can see there's a great deal of overlap.

Both are federal organisations made up of local groups. (For you, these would be London AF and South London SF respectively.) Both federations produce propaganda, much of which is available on this site (here and here) or on the organisations respective web pages. We also take part in local struggles - in Brighton the local AF and SolFed groups have been heavily involved in the ongoing student occupations.

The main difference is probably size, as nationally the AF is about three times as big as SolFed. Also, SolFed describes itself as anarchosyndicalist, while the AF is simply an anarchist-communist organisation. As such the two groups use slightly different terminology and draw from different traditions within the historical anarchist movement. We're both members of anarchist internationals - SolFed are part of the IWA, one of the oldest surviving working class organisations in the world, and the AF are members of the IFA-FAI.

Quote:
In general terms what im looking for is to get involved in raising class consciousness (in general society as well as my own) as well as focusing on achieveable short term goals, ie suporting strikes, migrant support, antifacism, antimilitary and to an extent student activism ect

I guess i am more just looking to network more with like minded individuals.

It sounds to me like you would be at home in either group. I suggest you join whichever seems more involved in things that interest you.

~J.

Steve_j
Mar 18 2010 15:55

Thanks for the info J

Have read the aims of both, must say im leaning a little more with afed in that respect, also reading beyond resistance now to get a better idea.

Also must say i got a Pm from a Solfed member and appreciate that you both seem to hold the others organisation in esteem. That said i will give both a visit and have a chat to see what they are up too.

Can anyone from london afed let me know of any upcomming socials or public meetings when i can come down and have a chat? The website doesnt seem to have anything current.

Caiman del Barrio
Mar 18 2010 16:30

In London, SF are involved in London Education Workers Group, London Coalition Against Poverty, solidarity work for the Belgrade 6 and FAU Berlin, No Borders, student groups at Goldsmiths and Queen Mary Colleges and a whole other bunch of shit that I've missed cos I'm not currently in the country. London AF and SF also meet regularly and collaborate on a lot of issues.

I'd also say that SF does quite a bit of internal work (although I'd like it to be more) in terms of supporting members (and members' friends) with workplace issues. I'd like it to be more.

Moreover, in addition to what BLJ says, SF is currently based around its local groups, but is undergoing rigorous internal debate as to the role of its industrial networks. If you join SF, Steve, you'll have the opportunity to organise with people in the same industrial sector as you (in theory, at least wink).

Yorkie Bar
Mar 18 2010 19:31

BTW, Choccy is a South London SFer, and Steven. is a member of London AF - you should PM them if you want a firsthand account of their groups activities atm.

Caiman del Barrio
Mar 18 2010 20:16

Choccy's NL, and Steven's in the AF?? SERIOUSLY?

Django's picture
Django
Mar 18 2010 20:40

His secret is out!

Caiman del Barrio
Mar 18 2010 21:45

Hahaha hipster till the end, too scared of being judged by his contemporaries for making a definitive move in his life. wink

Battlescarred
Mar 19 2010 09:13

I and some other AFers will be on UCU demo on Saturday in London so if you can make that look out for people handing out our monthly newsheet Resistance. Otherwise come to our next group meeting on April Ist in London. I will PM you details if you're interested. Alternately we have a Resistance distro at Camden Town tube next Week at 6pm . Again PM me if you want details.

Steve_j
Mar 19 2010 11:38

Thanks all for the info and support.

Battlescarred im out of town this weekend so cant make it but i might be at the next NCAFC meeting if you will have people there.

Either way the first of april could be good if you can pm me the details i would be interested thanks.

Battlescarred
Mar 19 2010 12:49

Erm , remind me what NCAFC stands for...??

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Mar 19 2010 12:58

national convention against fees and cuts?

Farce's picture
Farce
Mar 19 2010 19:03

Yep. Steve, if you're involved in that kind of thing, have you encountered the Autonomous Students Network at all? I'm not in it, but there's a lot of good people who are.
Also, here's a report on recent AF activity from Freedom. As far as our ideas go, have you looked at any of our pamphlets? They're all free to read here. Beyond Resistance and In The Tradition are good summaries of our ideas.

Yorkie Bar
Mar 20 2010 22:45
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Choccy's NL

Considering I've stayed at his house, this makes me a total muppet. sad

Mike Harman
Mar 21 2010 02:57

I bet he's still in South London SolFed though.

Jason Cortez
Mar 21 2010 12:43

Hi Steve, just noticed this thread. I am in the South London Solidarity Federation, we are currently involved with migrants struggles especially in solidarity with the cleaners organising efforts and attempts to resist deportations. We have members in and work closely the London Coalition Against Poverty and Community Action. We don't have any student members at present but we do have a good working relationship with Autonomy and Solidarity based in Goldsmiths. We are also involved with No Trust in Goldsmiths Trust, solidarity support work with ASI and the FAU. We were heavily involved in the Hands Off Lewisham Bridge rooftop occupation last year. We have a facebook page and website but I must admit we are rubbish at updating it.

We meet regularly (usually Fortnightly on Mondays in Deptford) so if you want to come along to one of these you are welcome. Alternatively, we meet in a pub for a more informal chat or we also have discussion meetings in a local curry house, not sure when the next one is scheduled, off the top of my head though. Any way just PM me for more details.

888's picture
Mar 21 2010 19:07

What is Community Action?

Caiman del Barrio
Mar 21 2010 23:09

I believe it's a new initiative to start a group in the London borough of Lewisham.

Steve_j
Mar 22 2010 00:11

Hey farce,

Yeah i have come across the ASN, am on their mailing list and a few of them came down to support the occupation at my uni last last year. Read beyond resistance a few days ago, must say i really identifed with the overwhelming majority of it, a couple of points was not to sure about but more so because i havent developed a firm view on them. Will go through some of the other material too, cheers.

Battlesacred and Jason will send you some pms soon

Alf's picture
Alf
Apr 9 2010 20:23

So, Steven in the AF eh?

Probably a good thing that he made a decision. And I note that he has been doing some quite clear posts about the unions recently.