DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Anyone heard of the League of Communists in Great Britain?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
jolasmo
Offline
Joined: 25-12-11
Oct 21 2012 14:20
Anyone heard of the League of Communists in Great Britain?

http://www.commies.org.uk/

Who are these guys? They seem like they're based in Leeds but I've never heard of 'em. Skim reading their principles they seem okay, but one of their upcoming events is a talk about the "revolution" in Nepal eek . Anyway they recently contacted AFed asking about possible joint work so I thought I'd see if anyone else has come across them before.

~J.

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Oct 21 2012 16:32

https://twitter.com/leaguecommies

Theft's picture
Theft
Offline
Joined: 17-08-11
Oct 23 2012 10:49

Wasn't sure what they meant by post-leninist, but having looked into it they seem to be maoists.

There social/meetings just confirm this
"Viva Cuba! Revolutionary Social"
"Developments in Nepal - Where Next for the Revolution?"

taken from Group for the Foundation of the Union of Communists of France Marxist-Leninist (UCFML)

Quote:
Our conviction that Maoism is a stage of Marxism—its post-Leninist stage—dates back to the moment of our foundation. It is rooted in the experience, the universal significance, and the assessment of the Cultural Revolution. Between 1966 and 1976, and especially from 1966 to 1969, this revolution in China has seen the first political mass revolt against the new revisionist bourgeoisie present in the party and in the state. Mao has given the very first Marxist indications as to the novelties of this revolutionary class struggle, which is characteristic of our era.

georgestapleton's picture
georgestapleton
Offline
Joined: 4-08-05
Oct 23 2012 11:06

That was Badiou's group, so I'd say its the nasty influence of Zizek and Badiou etc.

Theft's picture
Theft
Offline
Joined: 17-08-11
Oct 23 2012 15:45

Should say I didn't find that UCFML quote on the League of Communists in Britain site, but when I was looking up post-leninism.

jolasmo
Offline
Joined: 25-12-11
Oct 23 2012 16:17
Theft wrote:
Wasn't sure what they meant by post-leninist, but having looked into it they seem to be maoists.

There social/meetings just confirm this
"Viva Cuba! Revolutionary Social"
"Developments in Nepal - Where Next for the Revolution?"

I feel like you might have got the wrong end of the stick here - Viva Cuba! is a Tapas bar in Leeds, so that's the venue, not the name of the event. But yeah the Nepal angle is pretty dodge.

Theft wrote:
taken from Group for the Foundation of the Union of Communists of France Marxist-Leninist (UCFML)

Quote:
Our conviction that Maoism is a stage of Marxism—its post-Leninist stage—dates back to the moment of our foundation. It is rooted in the experience, the universal significance, and the assessment of the Cultural Revolution. Between 1966 and 1976, and especially from 1966 to 1969, this revolution in China has seen the first political mass revolt against the new revisionist bourgeoisie present in the party and in the state. Mao has given the very first Marxist indications as to the novelties of this revolutionary class struggle, which is characteristic of our era.

Interesting.

~J.

jolasmo
Offline
Joined: 25-12-11
Oct 23 2012 16:19
georgestapleton wrote:
That was Badiou's group, so I'd say its the nasty influence of Zizek and Badiou etc.

Excuse my ignorance, but who's Badiou when they're at home?

~J.

Theft's picture
Theft
Offline
Joined: 17-08-11
Oct 23 2012 16:57

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Badiou

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Oct 23 2012 17:10
Quote:
League of Communists wrote:
Congratulations to Syriza and KOE comrades in their stunning victory - now to build the opposition to austerity in the streets! #syriza

https://twitter.com/leaguecommies/status/214747967893147648

They retweeted this statement by KOE:
http://kasamaproject.org/2012/06/19/40117/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium...