A call out to Colchester!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
S-J's picture
S-J
Nov 14 2010 01:40
A call out to Colchester!

I'm looking to see if I can find anyone in the Colchester area interested in anarchist/anti-authoritarian ideas who might want to get involved in some writing/action in the community. I know there was once a Colchester Solidarity Group, (but I'm not sure who was involved or how to find out, other than that they might still post on here?) but currently there seems to be very little happening.

Over the last few months I've been involved in getting a Food Not Bombs chapter running with a small group going by the name of the Colchester Community Co-op but I'd really like to expand this to make a more visible political community in this town. One or two of us have been talking about producing a newsletter and distributing it publicly (and loudly!) in town centre - its a tactic that's worked well for groups like the Whitechapel Anarchist Group in London. Anyone interested in helping produce this or get the ball rolling would be enthusiastically welcome!

If anyone out there is in the area and interested in getting involved, message me! It would be great to finally find some other people in this town who want to do something!

DeadBroke
Feb 2 2011 22:12

No replies, eh? Now that is a group I wanna be apart of!!

Randomly typed in 'Anarchist Colchester' and up you popped. I myself am not a student, just, by the looks of it, the one and only civvie anarcho in the fair town of Colchester.

If you come by this thread again then do reply.

LBird
Feb 3 2011 11:35
DeadBroke wrote:
...the one and only civvie anarcho in the fair town of Colchester

'Civvie'? Sounds like you mean, in contrast, that all the other anarchists in the garrison town of Colchester are soldiers.

Have 2 PARA already come over to the Communist revolution? Perhaps the 26th March is going to be far more interesting than even we anticipated! The army is supposed to come over to the people after the demos.

A Challenger versus a kettle? Now that's a tactical innovation...

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Feb 3 2011 11:54

as far as i know CSG disbanded and people moved away. Some of the ex-members still post on here so hopefully they'll see this...

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 3 2011 21:49

There's a bit of campaigning going on around the Dale Farm eviction atm, might be a good place to start? savedalefarm at gmail dot com

Caiman del Barrio
Feb 3 2011 23:53

Hey sorry I was briefly living in Colchester before Xmas but I'm back in SE London for the forseeable. The Colchester Peace Campaign's still going strong and was never colonised by the SWP so maybe worth seeing what they're up to.

The student walkouts were also quite fierce in Colchester, breaking kettles and attempting to occupy the Town Hall...

Mike Harman
Feb 4 2011 03:54

I have some connections to the area but never lived in Colchester, and not even in the UK at the moment, but please keep us updated if there's any developments.

S-J's picture
S-J
Jun 13 2011 12:50
DeadBroke wrote:
No replies, eh? Now that is a group I wanna be apart of!!

Randomly typed in 'Anarchist Colchester' and up you popped. I myself am not a student, just, by the looks of it, the one and only civvie anarcho in the fair town of Colchester.

If you come by this thread again then do reply.

If you're still in Colchester DeadBroke, get in touch - a few of us have just launched a news paper. Not completely an anarchist affair, but there are one or two of us. I'm not a student either as it happens, so at least there's 2 of us!

Space Monkey
Jul 4 2011 10:57

I will be in Colchester from October till July next year (ERASMUS, studying abroad). Would really like to help you and do something when I'm abroad. Are you still publishing that newspaper? What else is going on in Colchester?

Caiman del Barrio
Jul 4 2011 17:26
Space Monkey wrote:
I will be in Colchester from October till July next year (ERASMUS, studying abroad).

Oh SHEET. Demand a refund mate. wink

Space Monkey
Jul 7 2011 08:13

Haha smile Is it that bad? I think since universities in the UK are like small towns with their own night life, shops and so on it won't be that bad, will it?

And as long as I'll meet some cool people I can survive everywhere - and there's always a train to London if I'm getting bored wink

S-J's picture
S-J
Jul 7 2011 09:49

haha, that train to London is a bit of a lifeline round here!
In all honesty, it's not that bad, you just have to get out there and really look for stuff to do... there's a few of us trying to set stuff up in Colchester, but yes we are still publishing the paper -you can keep up with it on our blog here, or if yer interested, message me and I'll email you the latest issue. If you wanna know anything about Colchester, I've lived here for years, so feel free to ask away.

Space Monkey
Jul 7 2011 11:26

The blog, the idea of the newspaper and the content look good! Good that you are doing something. Around here (Trier, Germany) there are rather a lot of anarchists, but they are all involved in work for the student's union (and even though it's political work they are limited by the law and can't express their radical ideas but have to limit it to showing the problems).

Anyway, thanks for your offer, I'm sure I will message you as soon as I am in Colchester and either bored or lost wink

cheers