Driving tests in anarchist society? Would the system change?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Skips
Apr 28 2009 09:40
Driving tests in anarchist society? Would the system change?

I have a problem with dvla in the UK. The tests are at a ridiculous price. I guess in an anarchist society the test would be more affordable? Also what about the position of power any examiner has? How would this be kept in check? Or am I being too specific.

Skips
Apr 28 2009 09:50

forget about it then

slothjabber
Apr 28 2009 10:00

No really sickdog, we're obviously talking about different things. I don't think there's many people on Libcom who would consider that there'll be 'money' as we know it after the revolution. Even money-as-we-don't-know-it (labour-time vouchers or ration cards) are up for debate. So the 'cost' of the driving test won't really come intoi the equation for most of us.

Also, I think most of us assume (I could be wrong here) that there'll be an awful lot less car-use after the revolution.

How any system for ascertaining that anyone driving a vehicle will work is not, to be honest, high on the priority list for most of us. On the railways, then the railway workers will be responsible for day to day safty, in consultation with the communities through which the railways pass. On the roads, that's a bit more problematic, I'll grant you. But comparatively minor, compared to the ending of war, famine, poverty and all the rest.

Skips
Apr 28 2009 10:20

Yeah sorry I know what you guys are on about. I want an anarchist communist future aswell. Forget I mentioned money its just hard to go between the two worlds at times. Weeler I would want a society where power and decisions were from the bottom up -workers councils,communes communities etc and where people helped each other rather than compete. Obviously it would work towards abolishin money and to developing mutal aid..etc Im pretty sure thats basic anarchism, ok i may not be the best at getting my point across but believe me I do wanna learn from you guys.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Apr 28 2009 10:53

I thought, shooting/re-educating driving instructors was a crucial part of the revolutionary process?

knightrose
Apr 28 2009 11:43

I guess any tests would be a lot more rigorous and harder. The point wouldn't be to create new generations of drivers to consume more cars and petrol, but to ensure that those trusted to drive were really competent.

Quite how we'd do that is another matter.

Skips
Apr 28 2009 13:32
weeler wrote:
The affordability of the test is not an issue really, or ought not be in a communist society.

I would be interested in how we would ensure people have licenses, don't drink drive and obey road safety laws? Workers traffic safety militia?

Or maybe this;

this is more like it. =)