Labour cuts

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
T La Palli
Offline
Joined: 9-02-09
Sep 29 2011 11:45
Labour cuts

Went to another meeting yesterday where Labour tried to present themselves as opponents of privatisation and cuts. We have a Lib-Dem/SNP coalition. I just wondered whether people living in Labour controlled councils would tell me what the situation is. What are they cutting? How are the going about it? etc.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Offline
Joined: 1-11-09
Sep 29 2011 12:26

I read something a while ago that said that so far labour councils are cutting 50% more than tory councils on average. It sounds like a insane amount more but I cant remember the source.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Offline
Joined: 14-03-06
Sep 29 2011 13:55

I think somewhere in South London a councillor (and/or Trot?) said something like 'Vote Labour for democratic socialist cuts'... Tommy Ascaso?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Sep 29 2011 16:53
Ellar wrote:
I read something a while ago that said that so far labour councils are cutting 50% more than tory councils on average. It sounds like a insane amount more but I cant remember the source.

TBH I think this would be more to do with the fact that more labour councils contained large areas of social deprivation, and these are also the ones which are being hardest hit by cuts.

More affluent, more Tory areas are having fewer cuts in their funding.

So I'd say pretty much they are about the same. Basically, every council is cutting services equivalent to the reduction in funding central government are giving them. Which in most areas is around 20%.

There was a fair bit of news about the cuts in Manchester council (labour), and there have been similar 20% cuts in Hackney (also labour)

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Offline
Joined: 28-01-11
Sep 29 2011 17:49
Joseph Kay wrote:
I think somewhere in South London a councillor (and/or Trot?) said something like 'Vote Labour for democratic socialist cuts'... Tommy Ascaso?

Flippin heck that is genius, I hope jim comes up with the goods because i really want this to be true

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
Offline
Joined: 24-12-08
Sep 29 2011 18:13
Arbeiten wrote:
Joseph Kay wrote:
I think somewhere in South London a councillor (and/or Trot?) said something like 'Vote Labour for democratic socialist cuts'... Tommy Ascaso?

Flippin heck that is genius, I hope jim comes up with the goods because i really want this to be true

it was Mike Harris Labour Councillor for Lewisham Central, only record of it i can find is this blog post.

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/hundreds-attend-deptford-anti-monarchy-party/

jonthom's picture
jonthom
Offline
Joined: 25-11-10
Sep 29 2011 19:31

There's also this article (http:// liberalconspiracy org/2011/02/22/five-reasons-why-the-left-should-support-labour-council-cuts/) by a leader of a Labour group of councillors arguing that, were the author in power, they "would be proposing a cuts package from a socialist position." So the left should support Labour making cuts, because otherwise the Tories might get in and make cuts. Apparently.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Offline
Joined: 14-03-06
Sep 29 2011 19:44

who needs anti-parliamentary critiques when you've got parliamentary politics eh?

Caiman del Barrio
Offline
Joined: 28-09-04
Sep 29 2011 20:51
Between Your Teeth wrote:
Arbeiten wrote:
Joseph Kay wrote:
I think somewhere in South London a councillor (and/or Trot?) said something like 'Vote Labour for democratic socialist cuts'... Tommy Ascaso?

Flippin heck that is genius, I hope jim comes up with the goods because i really want this to be true

it was Mike Harris Labour Councillor for Lewisham Central, only record of it i can find is this blog post.

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/hundreds-attend-deptford-anti-monarchy-party/

This is true btw. Outside said party, which he was refused entry to, he said "you should have seen what I saved"...

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Offline
Joined: 28-01-11
Sep 29 2011 23:29

Fuck! That's genius! (well its shit, but pretty funny). The mayor of lewisham has been a proper shitbag too hasn't he?

Caiman del Barrio
Offline
Joined: 28-09-04
Sep 30 2011 16:15

He called anti-cuts protestors "fucking idiots" (TBF, many of them are in the SP lol...)

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Offline
Joined: 28-01-11
Oct 1 2011 17:22

....says the guy with the New Labour egg all over his mug....

EGADS
Offline
Joined: 10-09-11
Oct 20 2011 11:45
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
He called anti-cuts protestors "fucking idiots" (TBF, many of them are in the SP lol...)

I used to be part of the SP... embarrassed

But only for a short time, mind.

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
May 26 2013 22:33

Warrington councillor Kevin Bennet refused to administer local cuts so the Labour Party suspended him 'indefinitely'.

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Jun 4 2013 13:41

.