Midlands Discussion Forum, Birmingham 2nd July

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
slothjabber
Jun 20 2011 14:42
Midlands Discussion Forum, Birmingham 2nd July

The next meeting of the Midlands Discussion Forum is scheduled for July 2nd at 1.30pm.

In case there are those who don't know; everyone who is prepared to discuss the history, theory and practice of the workers' movement is welcome.

I would think that there's a good chance we'll be discussing the aftermath of Thursday's strike. We do have a scheduled topic, it's Internationalism. Given recent events in Spain, Greece and North Africa/the Middle East, I guess the focus of this will be less on immigration and nationalism as bourgeois ideology (which is I think what we were intending to discuss) and more about the internationalisation of protest, international solidarity and what we can learn from movements elsewhere. I think.

If you want to come, please contact us in advance: midlandsdf at yahoo.co.uk or slothjabber at yahoo.co.uk or send me a private message.

gypsy
Jun 20 2011 16:10

Sent u a pm.

slothjabber
Jun 20 2011 19:16

Cheers, got it, replied...

slothjabber
Jun 27 2011 20:44

Bump for those interested before the demos and rallies on Thursday. Like the meeting in London on the 7th, we will be discussing the events of Thursday. All welcome.

slothjabber
Jul 2 2011 10:15

Bump, this meeting is going ahead this afternoon in the Boardroom of Bennett's Bar on Bennett's Hill at 1.30, all comrades welcome.

slothjabber
Jul 6 2011 14:23

Well, this latest MDF went ahead, and unfortunately only four of us turned up (which given recent attendances probably counts as a 'packed meeting') including a welcome return visit by Dave S from the Commune, who came to speak at one of our meetings a couple of years ago, and came back to share among other things his thoughts on organising in the current climate, anti-cuts protests and the role of the Left in blocking struggles.

There will be no MDF in August, but we are trying to organise another meeting in September. Because of low attendednces however we cannot really keep going on like this, and may have to close down as the Manchester and Exeter forums have had to do. If you're in the Midlands and interested in discussing the theory history and practice of the workers' movement please get in touch and we'll try to make sure you can attend a forum.