MP's Cover up expenses

1 post / 0 new
Vicky
Jan 20 2009 13:58
MP's Cover up expenses

Hi Everyone

Ministers are about to conceal MPs' expenses, even though the public has just paid £1m to get them all ready for publication, and even though the tax man expects citizens to do what MPs don't have to. They buried the news on the day of the Heathrow runway announcement. This is heading in the diametric wrong direction from government openness.
:
Please write to your MP about this http://www.writetothem.com/. - ask them to lobby against this concealment, and tell them that TheyWorkForYou will be permanently and prominently noting those MPs who took the opportunity to fight against this regressive move. The millions of constituents who will check this site before the next election will doubtless be interested.

PS here are some letter templates which people may wish to use:

Dear

Ministers are about to conceal MPs expenses, even though the public has
just paid £1m to get them all ready for publication, and even though
the tax man expects citizensto do what MPs don't have to. They buried the news on the day of the
Heathrow runway announcement. This is heading in the diametric wrong
direction from government openness.

As my Member of Parliament I would like you to lobby against this
concealment, and remind you TheyWorkForYou will be permanently and
prominently noting those MPs who took the
opportunity to fight against this regressive move. The millions of
constituents who will check this site before the next election will
doubtless be interested and know doubt so will the media.

Thank you for your assistance

Yours sincerely

Dear

In a representative democracy, it is important that those who make the rules are also required to abide by them. It would not be acceptable for any other public servant to hide expenses from public view. It is not acceptable for MPs to hide their use of public funds.

It is particularly saddening that MPs should try to hide their expenses after the High Court has ruled against the Commons authorities. When the people who make the law are not prepared to abide by the rule of law, there is little hope that the country's democratic deficit can be addressed.

I do hope that you will speak out against, and vote against, Harriet Harman's proposals on Thursday.

Yours sincerely