MPs expenses- anarchist action protests against parliament?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Skips
May 9 2009 07:59
MPs expenses- anarchist action protests against parliament?

Surely there will be a few marches/direct against the latest expenses relevations? burning effiges of david Cameron, Clegg and Brown should capture the publics imagination? I know how pissed of the working class are atm.

Caiman del Barrio
May 9 2009 14:04

Are you Ian Bone?

Auto's picture
Auto
May 9 2009 14:30

I know that my own family are very angry about the revelations MPs expenses... and they are generally quite an apolitical bunch.

I think that an anti-parliamentary campaign could do a lot of good provided it wasn't simply restricted to the single issue of 'expenses' or even 'electoral reform'. You and I know the corruption of Parliament goes much deeper than that, the whole system itself is rotten to the core.

We, as libertarians, have the 'benefit' in this country of being ruled by 'the mother of all parliaments', a huge, ancient creation that has remained largely unchanged since the days of Cromwell. The benefit, for our movement at least, is that unlike many other countries all of the elements of the capitalist, conservative system under which we live are all represented by Parliament. Be it capitalism, bureaucracy, oligarchy, taxation, state religion, monarchy... all are intertwined in a single, highly symbolic entity.

So I think that there is a potential action to be taken here. There are not many 'ordinary' people (that is, members of the non-political class) who wouldn't find some measure of agreement with it, and more importantly, it could lead on to more widespread discussion of alternative forms of governance and social organisation.

Alderson Warm-Fork
May 9 2009 15:45

I think there might be some merit to such a plan, but I think a point to insist on is that the supposed distinction between "public" and "private" money is bogus. We're pissed off by the government taking people's money and wastes it, supposedly because doing so makes us all better off. We should be equally pissed off by capitalists taking people's money and wasting it, supposedly because doing so makes us all better off. So it would be good to use the expenses claims as one illustration of a broader point, bringing in stuff about bonuses, stagnant wages, growing inequality, vanity projects, etc.

Auto's picture
Auto
May 9 2009 16:17
Alderson Warm-Fork wrote:
I think there might be some merit to such a plan, but I think a point to insist on is that the supposed distinction between "public" and "private" money is bogus. We're pissed off by the government taking people's money and wastes it, supposedly because doing so makes us all better off. We should be equally pissed off by capitalists taking people's money and wasting it, supposedly because doing so makes us all better off. So it would be good to use the expenses claims as one illustration of a broader point, bringing in stuff about bonuses, stagnant wages, growing inequality, vanity projects, etc.

A good point, and the fact is both private and public robbery can be highlighted by opposition to parliament. The number of politicians in hock to unbridled capitalism on all sides of the house is clear for anyone to see.