Public meeting at Goldsmiths, London: OCCUPIED!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caiman del Barrio
May 21 2009 20:52
Public meeting at Goldsmiths, London: OCCUPIED!

2009 - the year of the recession - is also the year of the OCCUPATION. From workers
in a Ford factory in Enfield demanding their redundancy pay, to parents in a primary
school in Glasgow demanding it stays open, to university students just about
everywhere (even Goldsmiths) demanding greater access to education, everywhere it is being demonstrated as a viable tactic.

Whats the potential of OCCUPATION as a tactic for getting what we want?

Come find out - open to all students and non students

Speakers from the OCCUPATIONS at:
LEWISHAM BRIDGE PRIMARY SCHOOL (SE13)
CHARLOTTE TURNER PRIMARY SCHOOL (SE8)
LONDON METROPOLITAN UNI (E1)
FORD VISTEON CAR FACTORY (EN3)

followed by a QUESTION & ANSWERS session.

RHB308 (Main building, 2nd floor, follow signs)
GOLDSMITHS COLLEGE
LEWISHAM WAY, SE14 (British Rail: New Cross/New Cross Gate)
WEDNESDAY 27TH MAY FROM 6.30PM
REFRESHMENTS FOR THE EARLY BIRDS
(hosted by Autonomy & Solidarity)"

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 21 2009 23:11

This meeting sounds very interesting and if I was about i'd definitely support it.

but yeah, the Goldsmiths campaign earlier this year was an embarassment

oisleep's picture
oisleep
May 22 2009 05:06
Quote:
Can you draw a link between activistas looking for palestinians to get free education in the UK and the Visteon factory occuption?

to be fair, other than both employing occupation as a tactic to get what they want, i don't see any other link being inferred

it's clear the meeting is about the tactic of occupation, rather than the underlying events which have resulted in said occupations

Caiman del Barrio
May 22 2009 09:33

For once, Oisleep is onpoint. I agree with the general tone of criticism as does everyone else from the group, but considering how a bunch of our mates and other interested students will (hopefully) come along, it would be counter-productive to ignore the "occupation" a few months back. I'd actually maybe even take the opportunity to make a few pops at how "we" did it in the Q&A.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 22 2009 09:40
weeler wrote:
... the other is the result of too much free time between anthropology classes.

do I sense an unfounded prejudice against anthropologists?

spitzenprodukte's picture
spitzenprodukte
May 23 2009 10:05
weeler wrote:
that shit is for reals.

roll eyes is this 4 realz?

raw
May 25 2009 09:20
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
2009 - the year of the recession - is also the year of the OCCUPATION. From workers
in a Ford factory in Enfield demanding their redundancy pay, to parents in a primary
school in Glasgow demanding it stays open, to university students just about
everywhere (even Goldsmiths) demanding greater access to education, everywhere it is being demonstrated as a viable tactic.

Whats the potential of OCCUPATION as a tactic for getting what we want?

Come find out - open to all students and non students

Speakers from the OCCUPATIONS at:
LEWISHAM BRIDGE PRIMARY SCHOOL (SE13)
CHARLOTTE TURNER PRIMARY SCHOOL (SE8)
LONDON METROPOLITAN UNI (E1)
FORD VISTEON CAR FACTORY (EN3)

followed by a QUESTION & ANSWERS session.

RHB308 (Main building, 2nd floor, follow signs)
GOLDSMITHS COLLEGE
LEWISHAM WAY, SE14 (British Rail: New Cross/New Cross Gate)
WEDNESDAY 27TH MAY FROM 6.30PM
REFRESHMENTS FOR THE EARLY BIRDS
(hosted by Autonomy & Solidarity)"

Good luck with this sounds on the ball.

The point it seems is to promote direct action and occupations as a means of further the interests of those struggles. It brings together people who have gone through the lobbying root only to be ignored and have then moved beyond it. Sounds like alot of connections can be made on that level. As for the struggles, they are different but it will be education for all involved to hear the issues involved - circulation of struggles...etc.

I can't make it down that day sorry.

A

flaneur's picture
flaneur
May 29 2009 09:30

How did this go? Don't reckon they'll be a sum up of what was discussed?

Caiman del Barrio
May 29 2009 10:29

Er a couple of people were taking notes...I'll see if I can't get a writeup. I'm not sure it'd be fair to ask someone to summarise the discussion though, seeing as how it lasted 2 hours or so and had various tangents, angles and conclusions.

From memory, 40-50 people (split roughly half and half between students and non students) listened to quick presentations from a parent occupier of Lewisham Bridge Primary School, an activist from the Charlotte Turner campaign from Greenwich NUT and an occupier from London Met and Unison (unfortunately noone could make it from Visteon cos of their celebratory party...don't blame 'em heh). All 3 gave context to their struggles and spoke about the successes and failures they have had thus far and what will happen next.

Then there was a free-flowing and largely unfettered discussion on a variety of subjects, including the role of the unions in these and other education sector struggles (with there being a general consensus - even from the two unionist speakers - that they mediate and undermine struggles and that the union bureaucracy represents another obstacle of direct action), the potential for school occupations as a medium term strategy rather than as a temporary protest (with reference to free schools) and responses to the impending academies Goldsmiths is funding in Lewisham. There were also contributions from members of Defend Council Housing on their brief occupation of a council flat in Streatham, the possibility of a social centre in New Cross once again reared its head, and we heard from a student from UEL who had occupied a few months ago over Gaza. A couple of Goldsmiths students also spoke - critically, of course wink - about their own experiences in Goldsmiths' fleeting and somewhat farcical "occupation" in February.

Finally at 9.40 odd we were kicked out by security who wanted to lock up. By the end the poorly ventilated and stuffy room was quite uncomfortable, although the vast majority of attendees stayed till the end so I don't think the meeting's length was a problem. Lots of fruitful discussions in the pub, although I wasn't party to most of them cos I was drunk and exhausted by that point. smile

flaneur's picture
flaneur
May 29 2009 10:43

Sounds good.

A write up would be appreciated

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 29 2009 11:08

Yeah that does sound pretty good smile

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
May 29 2009 15:51

Big shout out to the A&S crew, it was wicked. More of this sort of thing would be great. In depth dicussion many of the main actors behind the occupations was very positive. Although bit too long towards the end.