Sharia Law Issues

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Baronarchist
Aug 5 2011 14:39
Sharia Law Issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN6CHtGGo4g

Is this a genuine big problem or overblown to suit the reactionary press?

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Aug 5 2011 15:02

I think it is a problem, but it is a localized problem. I don't know if you noticed, but every time 'radicals' come out, it is the same 3 guys. Anjem Choudary, his ginger mate and the black guy that also spoke. These guys are media stars that do more harm than good. It is not easy to swallow the bile that they are spewing, but I think we should be careful to consider this as widely representative. I know muslims that are probably rolling there eyes over this stuff. Actually, they are probably not rolling there eyes, they are probably slightly worried that this is what the whole of Britain think they are like. Which they are not. If these guys do any of this shite (which I don't think they will), then they are going to be arrested like any other person.

Also, this is an issue I don't know much about, so maybe someone could fill it in more, but I don't think, strictly speaking, there is such a thing as THE Sharia. Sharia law has to be interpreted by an imam, then translated into a fatwa. Fatwa's do not trump British/European law, and another imam can offer a counter fatwa. There have been plenty of fatwa's against extremism of all kinds. Islam is as riven in debates as any other belief system. There are plenty of groups in Britain who are avidly against it too. The most obvious is Southall Black Sisters. I'm pretty sure earlier in the year there was another initiative called something like 'muslim women against violence and extremism'.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2011 15:53

Yeah, this is a tiny, tiny group of irrelevant weirdos. Much smaller than equally extreme groups of Christian white fascists who want to establish a Christian dictatorship here (BNP etc).

Here is a good bit of analysis about sharia law in London:

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
Aug 5 2011 16:19
Steven wrote:
Much smaller than equally extreme groups of Christian white fascists who want to establish a Christian dictatorship here (BNP etc).

lolwut?

Ed's picture
Ed
Aug 5 2011 16:28

I'd like to echo what Steven is saying here.. I grew up with loads of Muslims and none of them gave a shit about Sharia law (as these guys describe it, they would def give lip service to stuff like not drinking.. while smoking a joint).. basically, these guys with Choudery are basically a bunch of oddballs who know how to call a press conference (and sadly have better graphic design skills than much of the anarchist movement sad ).. they're basically the Muslim version of this..

Will be interesting to see what happens in sixth months time when Sharia law still isn't successfully enforced in Waltham Forest.. (even writing that sentence makes me laugh my arse off! laugh out loud )

Spikymike
Aug 6 2011 14:44

As someone who knows very little about the muslim religion and sharia law I found the short series (particularly No 3) on the historical and cultural background of Mohammed, broadcast on BBC television recently quite informative - did anyone else watch it?

It certainly placed 'sharia law' as a later culturally evolved system with very little directly related to the content of the Koran.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Aug 6 2011 15:21

I didn't see it, would have liked to have done though. I began reading up on islam (not very stringently, just in a pedestrian manner) when The Times, The Telegraph, The Mail and The Sun decided they were all of a sudden experts in it and we had opinion from non-muslims pretty much everyday on what Islam essentially is. Fred Halliday has been a really good post-9/11 voice in the shit storm. Both critical of trends in the middle east, critical of the west, and well aware of different and contested traditions within Islam.

Yeah 'sharia law' is not blankly accepted in the same way by all muslims (even talking of 'all' muslims is pretty difficult). It is taken both from the Koran and the Hadith and is a form of jurisprudence, so it is openly out for interpretation.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 6 2011 19:19
Fall Back wrote:
Steven wrote:
Much smaller than equally extreme groups of Christian white fascists who want to establish a Christian dictatorship here (BNP etc).

lolwut?

I'm not going to respond to a comment like that. If you have a point to make please make it.

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
Aug 6 2011 19:29

Okay. "What are you talking about? Do you really think the BNP are trying to set up a Christian dictatorship? That's sub-UAF."

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 6 2011 20:06

No, the BNP are actually really lovely, and have policies like the Liberal Democrats. This is derailing the thread and you are being unjustifiably dismissive and rude, again, and so I do not believe you intend to have a productive discussion here.

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
Aug 6 2011 20:21

I think your comment was non-sensical and not borne out by facts. I assumed it was a throw away comment which you'd accept as a bit silly when pointed out, hence lightly pulling it up. I'm hardly the one being rude, but I'm a bit bemused I'd you honestly think the BNP want to turn Britain into 1930s Germany.

Ignoring your ridiculous claims that I think the BNP are "really lovely". But they obviously aren't the BPP or even the BNP of the 1980s. Given plenty of parties fairly analogous have held a share of powder in Europe (eg Austria or Italy) and haven't moved to establishing an "Christian dictatorship", you're going to have a hard time demonstrating they have this goal without resorting to a UAF secret Nazis thesis.

It's obviously relevant to the thread given that a point you brought up was pretty silly.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Aug 7 2011 15:29

yeah the BNP have only half-hearted latched on to religion to meet those extremists who justify their own politics through religious reference. They have began to use the language of christianity a little bit, but you know their heart is in Odinism, the Green Man and all that other pagan stuff. But what they essentially want to say, and they will use whatever is at their disposal at the time to say it, is that 'people don't mix'.