Skipping in London

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
pamphleteer's picture
pamphleteer
May 27 2009 12:24
Skipping in London

Hey,

I'm in East London and need to really save money. I live in Little Ilford near East Ham, Manor Park, Stratford, and Ilford. Anyone know of any skipping locations near by?

Any websites

And while we're at it, making this a general thread for skipping in London would be a good idea.

pamphleteer's picture
pamphleteer
May 27 2009 12:55

Is it not an anarchist website? I thought there'd be a lot of squatters and skippers on here.

I have the means to eat. Just need to spend less money.

Caiman del Barrio
May 27 2009 14:06

Right Libcom needs to have a function which stops Weeler being the first reply to OPs. Either that or make his posts have automatic mod approval before submission. Most of his shit is moronic on here, which is a pity cos politically he's more or less right on from what I can see (if a little retarded a la Jack 2004).

As regards skipping, someone can seriously and properly explain what Weeler has butchered in his usual ridiculous fashion vis a vis the relationship between anarchism and squatting. Skipping in London is ridiculously easy, you don't need to exchange "tips" or find "locations" online, just walk down your street.

Actually wait, you live in East London so you'll probably only find eyeliner and cocaine on the street. I live south of the river and got 95% of my bedroom furniture for free.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
May 27 2009 15:10

pamphleteer is blatantly weeler.

Farce's picture
Farce
May 27 2009 15:26
weeler wrote:
Sorry Alan, are you looking for lunch money too?

I'll take the lunch money if there's any going spare. I have no pride.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 27 2009 21:36

To be fair Weeler's initial response was fine, he could have been much ruder, as such all he said was that skipping doesn't really have anything to do with anarchism.

PartyBucket's picture
PartyBucket
May 27 2009 21:50

I saw the thread and thought it was going to about jumping rope.
Please refer to it by its proper name of Bin Hoking to avoid future confusion, thanks.

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
May 27 2009 22:23
notch8 wrote:
Please refer to it by its proper name of Bin Hoking to avoid future confusion, thanks.

seriously. but it would be better if all of you would just learn to speak uhmerican. it's dumpster diving.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 27 2009 22:29
notch8 wrote:

i never noticed the guy that posted that vid's username is 'n1690'
he should join Organise

Farce's picture
Farce
May 27 2009 22:38
weeler wrote:
Funnily enough its not me but I suspect pamphleteers name is a reference to my favourite song ever. If so then they are awesome and I will stfu.

Is that the (incredibly awesome) Weakerthans one? Also, if pamphleteer is who I think he is, I've met him IRL and he's sound as.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 27 2009 23:08

Alan started a bin-hoking group at uni. It's pretty sweet, he recrtuited lots of minions through it.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 28 2009 00:14

shhh you'll annoy alan

Caiman del Barrio
May 28 2009 12:24

You're all ridiculous.

Quite clearly I was referring to picking up furniture off the street, not digging it outta bins. That is some weirdass fetishism there.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 28 2009 12:35

What about the bit where you said:

Caiman del Barrio wrote:
'I eat out of bins all the time, it is great!'

?
or

Alzo wrote:
I am a bin-hoking cunt
Caiman del Barrio
May 28 2009 15:22

Fuck, forgot Libcom had a quote function. sad

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 28 2009 18:07

Bleach in every bin please.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 29 2009 11:52
Notch wrote:
Mission 7 - Its after closing time at the supermarket. Some Crimethinc. types are approaching the skips, to bin-hoke for defrosted soggy pizzas, which they will hype up as a revolutionary act on their way to glue up the only bank machine near your house. UNLESS....you emerge from behind the skips wearing a boiler suit and gas mask, armed only with a hammer. Bludgeon them all and leave them in the skips as a message.
Bonus points if you shove bits of the pizza into the bodies mouths.
PartyBucket's picture
PartyBucket
May 29 2009 12:04
Choccy wrote:
Notch wrote:
Mission 7 - Its after closing time at the supermarket. Some Crimethinc. types are approaching the skips, to bin-hoke for defrosted soggy pizzas, which they will hype up as a revolutionary act on their way to glue up the only bank machine near your house. UNLESS....you emerge from behind the skips wearing a boiler suit and gas mask, armed only with a hammer. Bludgeon them all and leave them in the skips as a message.
Bonus points if you shove bits of the pizza into the bodies mouths.

There are now two current threads illustrating why this game should be invented for real.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 29 2009 12:30

Imagine Pamphleteer, Alan, and Tacks skipping some bins -

Tacks: oh come look this bin's great, got lots of old scones in it, yummy!
Alan: let me see, begsy the cherry scones!
Pamphelteer: you guys are great, i'm so glad i met youse through that skipping thread on libcom
Tacks: SKIPPING!
Alan: totally mate, totally
Tacks: this 3-day old scone is yum, what time are we heading back up to occupy your uni Alzo?
Alan: better head soon, lets bring a bag of food to hand out that the meeting, that'll be totally rad
Pamphleteer: I'll probably give it a miss, becasue I am a completely a-political lifestylist, I just wanted free food and to pretend it was a revolutionary act
Alan: no sweat, we'll have anyone in our group
Tacks: hang on... did you hear that? that noise over there
Alan: I think someone's there, WHO IS IT OVER THERE?
[guys in boiler suits and gas masks emerge]
Tacks: who... who are you? what do you want?
Boilersuit#1: alright lads
Alan: wh...wh.... WHAT are you?
Boilersuit#2: doing some 'revolutionary acts' are yis lads?
Pamphelteer: yeah, we'rte skipping, wh, wh... what's it t...t...to you?
Boilersuit#1: oh nothing, we're just stalking the area looking for pieces of shit
Tacks: did....[gulp] did you find any?
Boilersuit#2: yeah I think we found a few...
Alan: ye...yeah?
Pamphleteer: hey, is...is that a hammer you've got
Boilersuit#3: yep, wanna see it?
*SMASH*

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 29 2009 12:53
revol68 wrote:
Choccy wrote:
Imagine Pamphleteer, Alan, and Tacks skipping some bins -

Tacks: oh come look this bin's great, got lots of old scones in it, yummy!
Alan: let me see, begsy the cherry scones!
Pamphelteer: you guys are great, i'm so glad i met youse through that skipping thread on libcom
Tacks: SKIPPING!
Alan: totally mate, totally
Tacks: this 3-day old scone is yum, what time are we heading back up to occupy your uni Alzo?
Alan: better head soon, lets bring a bag of food to hand out that the meeting, that'll be totally rad
Pamphleteer: I'll probably give it a miss, becasue I am a completely a-political lifestylist, I just wanted free food and to pretend it was a revolutionary act
Alan: no sweat, we'll have anyone in our group
Tacks: hang on... did you hear that? that noise over there
Alan: I think someone's there, WHO IS IT OVER THERE?
[guys in boiler suits and gas masks emerge]
Tacks: who... who are you? what do you want?
Boilersuit#1: alright lads
Alan: wh...wh.... WHAT are you?
Boilersuit#2: doing some 'revolutionary acts' are yis lads?
Pamphelteer: yeah, we'rte skipping, wh, wh... what's it t...t...to you?
Boilersuit#1: oh nothing, we're just stalking the area looking for pieces of shit
Tacks: did....[gulp] did you find any?
Boilersuit#2: yeah I think we found a few...
Alan: ye...yeah?
Pamphleteer: hey, is...is that a hammer you've got
Boilersuit#3: yep, wanna see it?
*SMASH*

You worry me sometimes.

because you don't get jokes

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 29 2009 13:01

avoiding my phd makes me amazingly lol-productive, and anarchy productive

pamphleteer's picture
pamphleteer
May 29 2009 13:28
Quote:
I'll probably give it a miss, becasue I am a completely a-political lifestylist, I just wanted free food and to pretend it was a revolutionary act

!

U GUYZ R SO MEAN!

I only wanted free food!

I don't particularly think it's a revolutionary act, I'd rather do proper political stuff and feed myself with shit from the back of supermarkets while I'm at it because I'm skint.

I used to live/work in a homeless community/charity so the terminology comes from the people I knew there, which is fairly old fashioned. "Skipping" also means to sleep wherever you can find "oh I'm skipping on his sofa" "I'm skipping under the bridge tonight".

Pamphleteer isn't after a song, sorry. It refers to zine-making. And Frank Key, who refers to his zines as pamphlets.

So yeah, skipping doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anarchism, but it's not unreasonable to expect there to be an overlap, izzit? A bit like starting a thread asking about Harrington jackets or Hamlet cigars or something.

My TIP is to check the satellite on googlemaps and find your local supermarket and see if the back is closed off or not.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 29 2009 13:39

I was joking, sorry!!!
I am very mean, but still think skipping, as eating from bins, is nonsense apolitical shit unless you are actually homeless.

pamphleteer's picture
pamphleteer
May 29 2009 13:41
Quote:
I was joking, sorry!!!

I know, I lolled.

Well, I did actually gawp and go OMGUDIDN'T but I also lolled my tired withered little heart out.

pamphleteer's picture
pamphleteer
May 29 2009 13:54
Quote:
but still think skipping, as eating from bins, is nonsense apolitical shit unless you are actually homeless.

I don't really understand why you think it being apolitical invalidates it. I shit and piss, it's not political but I still do it for good reasons.

I don't understand why being homeless suddenly makes it alright. Surely you can be skint without being homeless. And the food they throw away is completely edible, good stuff. If you're skint and need to save money one of the things you can do is cut out your food bill completely and skip bins. It's a quickfix while you try and get to grips with giving up smoking or drinking or whatever.

When I was on the dole I was put on a work placement. I had to work for free in this shit office and didn't get any money for lunch and was made to buy office clothes. One day I had no money at all for my lunch, so I had to go around the back of budgens and grab some food out their bins. I was hungry and I had no money. It's not political to skip bins, but it's sensible.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 29 2009 14:03

yes, i shit and piss, I don't think it warrants discussion on the regional forum of a class struggle anarchist site

and being actually homeless makes it different because you've literally no choice but to eat from bins. Fetishising eating from bins is daft. If you're short of money to buy a sandwich, ask a workmate to spot you 2quid.

Nor is it sensible to advocate eating from bins, you don't know what the fuck is in them, and almost every shop I've worked in the alleyways, and bins have been unsanitary deathtraps.

Farce's picture
Farce
May 29 2009 17:43
pamphleteer wrote:
So yeah, skipping doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anarchism, but it's not unreasonable to expect there to be an overlap, izzit? A bit like starting a thread asking about Harrington jackets or Hamlet cigars or something.

I want to read the thread about Hamlet cigars. Also, there needs to be a thread about trilbies.

Choccy wrote:
yes, i shit and piss, I don't think it warrants discussion on the regional forum of a class struggle anarchist site.

Tbf, most people don't need tips about the best places to shit and piss. Altho I suppose that could also be a worthwhile thread.

Wellclose Square
May 29 2009 18:22

Perhaps there could be a separate 'Lifestyle' section, to go with the 'News', 'Theory' sections - after all, the Sunday supplements have them. Any good elderflower champagne recipes?

pamphleteer's picture
pamphleteer
May 29 2009 23:51

If anyone starts a shit and piss thread I'm totally there.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jun 3 2009 21:52
pamphleteer wrote:
I don't really understand why you think it being apolitical invalidates it. I shit and piss, it's not political but I still do it for good reasons.

I've got a tip on where you can do both of those, but I'll pm it to you so word doesn't get out wink

dee
Jun 4 2009 09:13
weeler wrote:
There is a lifestyle section, its called libcommunity, the whole anarchist movement bitches about it because we lead average 20 something year old male lives

except for the women in libcommunity, obv.