This United Kingdom in song...

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cas
Oct 8 2013 08:18
This United Kingdom in song...

You might enjoy this - I wrote this song and compiled a video inspired by the campaigns for refugee rights by Unity:-

http://youtu.be/TyeZe5axe1w

It is something we should be proud to be British for...

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 8 2013 08:54

If this is comedy, then it's genius. If it's for real, then it's even more hilarious.
Either way, good work Cas. Best laugh I've had in ages!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Oct 8 2013 10:10

Cas, I think you have honourable intentions in writing this song and creating this video. It's very well put together and the sentiments are nice and well meaning. However, this is a Libertarian Communist website, frequented by anarchists, communists and those with a strong class struggle perspective. This means, we have no interest in maintaining the nation state and have no love for any form of nationalism or concept of nationhood, including the 'soft' nationalism/patriotism demonstrated in your video. We are interested in what can possibly bring about the ultimate destruction of capitalism, all nation states, including the United Kingdom, and all borders. Nice work though smile

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 8 2013 16:49

I felt a bit mean for taking the piss when I read Serge's post but on reflection I actually find the song and video pretty offensive. I'm sure it is well intentioned but there are plenty of well intentioned ideas out there that we would quite rightly jump on.
The sentiment expressed may be nice and fluffy but the ideas behind it are a very long way from being benign. It's precisely this mindset that keeps many decent people believing in the state and the military etc.
Take a good look and listen to this and it's actually pretty fucking revolting. I don't think it's honourable intentions excuse it for a minute.

Tian's picture
Tian
Oct 8 2013 17:17
Webby wrote:
it's actually pretty fucking revolting.

Couldn't agree more.

Welcome to Britain:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/15/lawyer-calls-for-probe-into-widespread-sex-abuse-at-immigration-detention-centre-4017453/

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Oct 8 2013 18:47

Think very carefully about this one folks... Last time we had a music thread, disco caught us off guard. I'm still recovering.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Oct 8 2013 19:04

Webby, no need to feel bad for taking the piss. Different strokes for different folks and all that. My default mode is to rip the piss out of something like that but this time I thought I'd try and be civil to someone who's possibly well meaning but still colossally wrong on so many levels.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 8 2013 20:15

Thanks Serge.

PT - Now, I can just about put up with your views on veganism, but start knocking disco and me and you are gonna fall out!!!

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Oct 9 2013 18:56

As mama used to say, "meat good, disco bad." She was never someone to ponder the mysteries, but its served me well thus far.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 9 2013 19:08
Quote:
As mama used to say, "meat good, disco bad." She was never someone to ponder the mysteries, but its served me well thus far.

Hehehe! Good response. I've upped you for being funnier than me and downed you for exactly the same reason!

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Oct 9 2013 19:22
Cas
Oct 16 2013 20:42

Fantastic! I've managed to stumble upon a community where my music is disgusting, offensive and hilarious, I've found sides of my character I never knew I had. Thank you for listening, and for being such sports. Sadly, no offence intended... Cheers! Cas

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 17 2013 08:03

Cas - The thing with your song, personal music taste aside, is that as much as many people that aren't raging xenophobes or racist idiots but enjoy the idea of national pride and the idea that we are a caring and 'tolerant'(man, I hate that term!) nation want it to be true, the experience of so many people, both British nationals and immigrants simply doesn't bear it out. Try talking to the countless Immigrants forced to live on London's streets or the millions of Brithish nationals treated as third class citizens because of their ethnicity or sexuality. And these issues barely scratch the surface.
As for our troops dying to protect our freedom, do me a fucking favour - the idea is so naive it would be hilarious if the reality wasn't so disgusting. This sort of soft focus, soppy propaganda simply serves to tighten the blinkers on those that would greatly benefit from having them rudely ripped off.

Tian's picture
Tian
Oct 17 2013 11:47
Cas wrote:
Fantastic! I've managed to stumble upon a community where my music is disgusting, offensive and hilarious, I've found sides of my character I never knew I had. Thank you for listening, and for being such sports. Sadly, no offence intended... Cheers! Cas

I don't know what you were expecting when you posted a liberal, pro-nationalist, woolly, everything's-so-fantastic-let's-all-hug song to a revolutionary anarchist site, Cas, but it seems to me you got off pretty lightly.