New in Sheffield

Submitted by oscha on August 10, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Sheffield in September and was wondering if you had suggestions on groups to link up with.

I saw there was some organising done by the Autonomous Students Network a couple of years ago. Is is still active?

Thanks

infrared

6 years 8 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by infrared on August 10, 2017

Hiya,

Sheffield resident here. Yeah ACORN are getting active - the group hasn't been active that long and this was the first public "action" I believe but yeah they seem quite ambitious and got good numbers out for that demo. The IWW have a fair few members and are organising an education workers' one day event at the end of August. I think the Autonomous Student Network is defunct but has been replaced by the Free University group. Some Sheffield people going to the Plan C festival if that's your thing. It's a great city but would say maybe not the most active/exciting politically..

oscha

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by oscha on August 12, 2017

Thanks Ed and Infrared. I had heard of ACORN yeah, will definitely try to see if I join them when I get there.
Will look into Free Uni group as well. I remember occupying my uni 3 years back and hearing of them as well.
Plan C festival is at the peak district?

cheers

infrared

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by infrared on August 12, 2017

Yep, near Grindleford https://www.weareplanc.org/blog/fast-forward-2017-programme/