What do you think of our draft introductory guide to libertarian communism?

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
Croy's picture
Croy
Aug 12 2014 14:11

But you've got to realise who this is aimed at? This is an introductory guide written in plain english. If it was littered with the word anarchism or anarchy people won't think "ah, yes, what a glorious ideological tradition that I am already familiar with, I am glad it has been mentioned", they'll think "what no anarchists are just like against organisation and want chaos, all they do is smash windows and wear masks". You've got to meet people at their own level. This guide isn't for us.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Aug 12 2014 18:03

While I think that's a fair point, I'm not sure the word communism conveys conjures up any more positive connotations. But your point about plain language and knowing your audience still stands.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Aug 12 2014 18:55

I saw a link to a Turkish version of the text in the Intro. Do you accept translations, or was that a one-time thing?

Ed's picture
Ed
Aug 12 2014 19:17
Railyon wrote:
I saw a link to a Turkish version of the text in the Intro. Do you accept translations, or was that a one-time thing?

We love translations. Did you have any you fancied doing? Any you wanted to do would be greatly appreciated..

bakuninja's picture
bakuninja
Aug 12 2014 19:47

I'm doing a Dutch one right now

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Aug 12 2014 20:28
Ed wrote:
Railyon wrote:

We love translations. Did you have any you fancied doing? Any you wanted to do would be greatly appreciated..

Well, I'd love to do a German translation of the Intro, for example. As far as other translations go, there's tons of stuff that I'd love to translate to English if the texts were only shorter than 100 pages on average. And they're about minutiae of value theory, so I'm not sure if that is time well-spent. wink

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 12 2014 22:34

Yeah, thanks, guys we love having our stuff translated, so please feel free!

MT
Sep 14 2014 16:23

Just curious - is the pamphlet going to be edited, or the initial text is at the same time the final text?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 15 2014 12:40
MT wrote:
Just curious - is the pamphlet going to be edited, or the initial text is at the same time the final text?

sorry, which pamphlet? Do you mean this intro? If you mean this article, it initially went up as a draft, but following feedback we incorporated some of it and now it is the final version (although in the future we may make slight tweaks to improve it or keep it up-to-date)

MT
Sep 15 2014 19:59

I was not sure, if there were any changes. there was an idea to translate it into Slovak. I asked just to avoid translating unfinished document.
this is the final version now, right? - http://libcom.org/library/libertarian-communism-introduction

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 15 2014 23:00
MT wrote:
I was not sure, if there were any changes. there was an idea to translate it into Slovak. I asked just to avoid translating unfinished document.
this is the final version now, right? - http://libcom.org/library/libertarian-communism-introduction

yes, that is the finished document. It would be brilliant if you translated it, we would be very grateful! If you could post it to libcom as well when it's done that would be great!

MT
Sep 18 2014 17:19

I could not post this to the other thread where the final text is, so I use this thread:

Quote:
The principle concern most people hold as to whether a communist society could is asking if humans really can produce enough for us to survive without the implicit threat of destitution, enforced by the wage system.

isn't there a gramatical error in this sentence?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 18 2014 18:13

Yes, thanks!

It should read:

Quote:
The principle concern most people hold as to whether a communist society could actually work in practice is whether humans really can produce enough for us to survive without the implicit threat of destitution, enforced by the wage system.

I will update the final text

no1
Sep 19 2014 10:19

still has a typo -

Quote:
The principle concern

should be:

Quote:
The principal concern

Croy's picture
Croy
Oct 1 2014 19:33
no1 wrote:
still has a typo -

Quote:
The principle concern

should be:

Quote:
The principal concern

I think that is a US english vs english english thing?

the button's picture
the button
Oct 1 2014 21:07

"Big" is easier to spell.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Oct 3 2014 13:21

I keep scanning this as daft introductory guide.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 5 2014 14:53
the croydonian anarchist wrote:
no1 wrote:
still has a typo -

Quote:
The principle concern

should be:

Quote:
The principal concern

I think that is a US english vs english english thing?

Nah, I think No1 is right on this one:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/principal-versus-prin...

Spikymike
Feb 24 2016 20:11

Without retracting any of my earlier friendly criticism of the texts references to the concept of 'democracy' thought I would recommend again this text looking in more depth at the concept of communism as a 'human community':
http://libcom.org/library/communism-points-consideration-linsecurite-soc...