Any good Xmas family arguments?

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on December 28, 2015

So, who's uncle got drunk and made a racist comment? Who's grandma is voting for Trump? Who bashed all this out over the dinner table?

Full disclosure here: I don't actually think family arguments are good way to win people over, but sometimes you've got to call people out on their shit. And, let's be honest, we all know the way things go.

As for me, we had a hell of a family bust-up this year, but (for once) politics weren't involved. Some time back, however, I got into a debate with a Christian fundamentalist uncle about capitalism. A few weeks later I got a stack of books in the mail - mostly accounts of "Christian martyrs" who'd been tortured in the Gulags - with a note that basically said "this is what your politics will lead to".

Anybody beat that?

Soapy

8 years 4 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Soapy on December 28, 2015

relative hates trump but loves Paul Ryan. I asked said relative to tell me one demonstrable way in which Ryan's policies differ from Trump and he stammered for a while and gave up.

Chilli Sauce

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on December 28, 2015

I've got a cousin who hates the Fed. I send him links about the class struggle, he sends me links about "who really controls America's money supply". They're entertaining but totally fruitless exchanges.

Noah Fence

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on January 6, 2016

Well, there was Ultraviolet's thread. I think that counts as we are a bit like a family. I mean, we're kinda stuck with each other and we love each other really, don't we?

Sleeper

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Sleeper on January 6, 2016

All my family are dead. Thanks for reminding me again though.

Chilli Sauce

So, who's uncle got drunk and made a racist comment? Who's grandma is voting for Trump? Who bashed all this out over the dinner table?

Full disclosure here: I don't actually think family arguments are good way to win people over, but sometimes you've got to call people out on their shit. And, let's be honest, we all know the way things go.

As for me, we had a hell of a family bust-up this year, but (for once) politics weren't involved. Some time back, however, I got into a debate with a Christian fundamentalist uncle about capitalism. A few weeks later I got a stack of books in the mail - mostly accounts of "Christian martyrs" who'd been tortured in the Gulags - with a note that basically said "this is what your politics will lead to".

Anybody beat that?

Chilli Sauce

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on January 7, 2016

FAI, I can't tell if that's a serious post.

If it is, I'm sorry to hear that, man. If it's not, that's one seriously dark joke.

Serge Forward

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on January 7, 2016

No family arguments but this comment from one of the in-laws was met with stunned silence and has now passed into family folklore with me and the kids. It was...

The Embassy Club has never been the same since Bernard Manning died

:D

Mr. Jolly

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on January 10, 2016

Last xmas I visited my partners mum and stepdad for xmas.

My partners stepdad is the most xenophobic, homophobic, sexist cunt I've ever come across. Knowing that he was a big big big fan of cliff richard, I broached the subject of the paedophile accusation with him, having picked up a cliff christmas card off the mantlepiece.
I lulled into a false sense of security by saying,

"Yeah all that child molestation stuff about cliff is bullshit"

He smiled (at least one person on his side on this one). Then I hit him, with the best line.

"No the reason all these conspiracies about cliff have come about because he is a homosexual"

He went bright red started shaking I mean physically shaking, I thought he was going to chin me, but he said nothing and walked away...

Mr. Jolly

8 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on January 10, 2016

Sleeper

All my family are dead. Thanks for reminding me again though.

So are mine (except for my brother), ah that xmas warmth of bereavement.