Cultural Marxism

Submitted by Scallywag on December 30, 2016

Can anyone explain what exactly the right means by "cultural Marxism" it seems to be one of their common tropes, does it mean anything to them other than "leftist propaganda"? Also what does it actually mean?

Part of the reason I ask is because there is a group called "young Britons for liberty" (anyone encountered them) that are trying to become active in the university I go to, and they oppose things like feminism, safe spaces, trigger warnings and accuse universities of being bastions of "cultural Marxism" and no platformism, basically they are a bunch of far right scumbags masquerading as "libertarians".

Fleur

7 years 3 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Fleur on December 30, 2016

Strictly speaking, it's a criticism of the Frankfurt School. I don't think it's original use, way back, was much more than a criticism of the Frankfurt School from more orthodox Marxists. But....

Cultural Marxism as it is meant by the right is a conspiracy theory with a strong anti-semitic streak. The Frankfurt School (predominantly Jewish) developed a form of Marxism which instead of attacking capitalism through economic theory, set out to undermine Western values, Christianity, etc through the culture industry, which in cahoots with Marxists has been bombarding society with messages of sexual liberation, feminism, messages that undermine white pride, blah blah blah. The obvious outcome of that is political correctness gone mad, which then leads to the greater prevalence of cultural Marxism in society. Cultural Marxism is then an assault on free speech, especially when sexism, racism, transphobia, or whatever bigoted crap these people like to express, is questioned or condemned, hence the assault of these jizz-stain's warped definition of liberty. According to cultural Marxist theorists, universities in particular are hotbeds of communism, polluting young minds and this probably explains why the right are so obsessed with student politics and start yelling about free speech and threats to intellectual freedom every time a student union no-platforms a racist or has a safe space policy. To be fair though, there's a fair few leftist academics who complain about the same thing.

Generally speaking, cultural Marxism is in the vocabulary of people who rail against SJWs, special snowflakes, victim culture etc.

In my opinion, the strongest argument for cultural Marxism not being a thing is that after decades of being bombarded by messages aiming to undermine capitalism, patriarchy etc, the destruction of "Western values" hasn't actually happened, which is a shame if you ask me. Man, if cultural Marxism was as all-pervasive as the right would have you believe, there ought to be a damned sight more Marxists about by now. ;)

Reddebrek

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on December 30, 2016

The actual term Cultural Marxism refers to several groups mostly the Frankfurt school and personalities associated with them, but also groups like Neo Marxists and the Situationists (sort of) but unless your in a sociology class or media criticism or critical thinking lecture any usage of the term refers to a conspiracy theory much like what Fleur describes.

I think the reason this red scare is starting to gain traction is that of all the Marxists, "Cultural Marxism" is one that's still acceptable to teach in academics, books like the Society of the Spectacle and from Caligari to Hitler are quite popular on some courses, and in the 60's counter culture years Frankfurt Marxists like Adorno experienced renewed popularity.

I remember my first encounter with the Cultural Marxist conspiracy was about six years ago in the youtube comment section. I had a polite back and forth with a confused user. I was surprised that a random fellow knew about the Frankfurt school. I knew who they were in a limited sense, but I was leftist who took sociology.

One thing he said that was really telling was he asked me if I could name another period of time when society had changed so quickly. That was his main argument Western society is changing so quickly a shadowy group must be responsible. I just gave him a list of revolution, he disputed the Industrial Revolution and the American Revolution because they were about "factories and taxes". That actually caused me to pause for a bit, this guy is worried that a group is undermining social relationships and cultural institutions, but he didn't know what those things are.

That's pretty much the level this conspiracy theory is on, not only does it not know what the Cultural Marxists actually believe and argue, they don't even know what they're trying to defend beyond a "leave the things I like alone" attitude.

Craftwork

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Craftwork on December 30, 2016

Anti-semitic conspiracist bollocks.

Here's a documentary on the Frankfurt School, featuring Marcuse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm3euZS5nLo

[youtube]vm3euZS5nLo[/youtube]

slothjabber

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by slothjabber on December 30, 2016

Yeah, a group called 'Young Britons for Liberty' talking about 'Cultural Marxism' I'm pretty sure means 'British neo-Fascists' talking about 'Jewish influence'.

petey

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by petey on December 31, 2016

i hadn't picked up the anti-semitic angle, though i'm sure the term appeals to antisemites. i've heard david letterman called "culturally marxist." i took it as code for "all those liberal things that aren't economic and i don't like" but putting the word "marxist" makes it worse/more serious than calling it "liberal".

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

httpCOLON//dailycallerDOTcomBACKSLASH2016/09/29/cultural-marxism-is-destroying-america/

Scallywag

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Scallywag on December 30, 2016

Cheers for the replies, it sounds totally ridiculous. None of it makes any sense, but I don't know how universities can be bastions of communism when their the training places of future workers and when their courses reflect what businesses want.

Khawaga

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on December 30, 2016

Anders Behring Breivik was a firm believer in this conspiracy. One of his target groups for murdering was cultural Marxists.

Reddebrek

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on December 30, 2016

Forgot to ad this video explains the whole thing.

[youtube]vYQo6LI3Y7c[/youtube]

bastarx

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on December 30, 2016

Khawaga

Anders Behring Breivik was a firm believer in this conspiracy. One of his target groups for murdering was cultural Marxists.

Banging on about cultural Marxists is a way for fascists to assimilate anyone to the left of mainstream conservatism into the same enemy group. Breivik massacred Labour Party youth rather than actual Marxists.

Of course a lot of the left does something similar with the overuse of the term fascist although they don't tend to take it so far as murdering teenagers.

Khawaga

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on December 31, 2016

Yeah, he used cultural Marxists as a way to categorize those that should be killed or expelled. Labour Youth (AUF) were in that category IIRC though it could have specifically referred to journalists, artists and academics.

adri

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by adri on December 31, 2016

I hate having to keep up with internet culture and all the different superficial terms people throw around (cuck, cultural marxist, sjw, "red pill," ad infinitum). It's vulgarizing having to research what "sjw" means, like this is not a recognized or respected word. It's hard to ignore unfortunately. It's just a way of sidetracking people from having a real conversation.

Craftwork

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Craftwork on December 31, 2016

Cultural Marxism :D

https://www.facebook.com/rob.griffiths.77736/posts/10210705389167184

Ivysyn

7 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Ivysyn on January 1, 2017

Well there are a few things here. Hitler viewed Marxism to be a cultural conspiracy by the Jews since many of the premier Marxists were Jewish. As such he came up with this idea of "cultural bolshevismus", or "cultural bolshevism". Cultural Marxism is basically an adaptation of that, with Marxists being the conspirators to destroy western culture rather than Jews. This was in response to the Frankfurt school which focused on cultural critique. The idea usually is that the Frankfurt school infiltrated culture and injected Marxism into it to slowly transform western civilization into a repressive Soviet Union type society. It's basically just a neo-conservative adaptation of anti-Semitic Nazi conspiracy theories.