Anarchisty places of interest to visit?

Submitted by wojtek on November 14, 2018

As the title says, can be anywhere. ^^

adri

5 years 5 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by adri on November 14, 2018

I was interested in Kronstadt at one point. Never been there, but would be cool to visit places you've read about.

google earth

Noah Fence

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on November 14, 2018

I’m currently working at the William Morris Gallery in London. His politics don’t even get a mention! So I guess that’s no good.
On the other hand, you could always come to my house - I’ve got Crass records, vegan stew and an ACAB sticker on my bed. You don’t get much more anarchisty than that, right?

darren p

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by darren p on November 14, 2018

Get Nick Lloyd's "Forgotten Places: Barcelona in the Spanish Civil War"

R Totale

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on November 14, 2018

Depends on your budget/what else you're into, surely? Gulai-Polye would probably be a bit out of the way and doesn't sound like it'd be a great holiday overall, but if you're into Ukrainian countryside it could be great? Berlin, Hamburg, Paris, Athens, most Italian cities? Obligatory Rojava and Chiapas mentions. Could go Buenos Aires or Shinmin if you're looking further afield/for something a bit more original? Chicago, Seattle, Montreal? Visit the pit village where Dave Douglass used to work, idk.

fingers malone

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by fingers malone on November 14, 2018

I can do brilliant tours of the class struggle history of East London

Entdinglichung

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on November 14, 2018

when going to Berlin, visit Erich und Zenzl Mühsam's grave at the Waldfriedhof in Dahlem

Noah Fence

5 years 5 months ago

fingers malone

I can do brilliant tours of the class struggle history of East London

Really? Is that an offer?

adri

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by adri on November 14, 2018

Could just go ahead and visit the grave of every prominent anarchist, if that's your idea of tourism... Bakunin's in Switzerland.

fingers malone

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by fingers malone on November 14, 2018

is that an offer

yeah sure, send me a PM

Noah Fence

5 years 5 months ago

fingers malone

is that an offer

yeah sure, send me a PM

Wow, great! I’ll do just that.

R Totale

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on November 15, 2018

Oh, if you've not seen it, https://radar.squat.net/en is good for euro-squat type listings stuff, although it seems not to cover Greece/

Noah Fence

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on November 17, 2018

wojtek

Thnks for the recommendations :) Has anyone been to Exarcheia? I know an ancap has lol.

I remember someone posting this on here somewhere years ago. God, I’d love it to be true! “You’re breaking the NAP!”. Priceless.

redschlog

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by redschlog on November 18, 2018

Huliaipole as it's now written has a golden statue of Makhno and the local museum has one of his machine gun carts (replica?).So yes certainly on my itinerary. Apparently Kropotkin's grave in Moscow is really difficult to find. Again on my itinerary. T'other lot at t'other end: I did a tour of the old anarchist communes in southern Aragon last year. It was fucking shit. But there you go. Also did some key sites in Madrid and Barcelona. Farted around for ages at the back of the hospital finding where Durrutti was shot. His grave in Monjuic is way easy. You might like to know there is actually a CNT themed bar in Barcelona. I went in with a local CNTer. It was mucho kitschio.

R Totale

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on November 19, 2018

Does the bar have any actual connection with (any of) the existing CNT(s), or is it just kitschy decor? For more contemporary anarchisty places to visit in Barcelona, I'd recommend looking up Info Usurpa, although with the caveat that there seems to be a lot of anti-tourist sentiment among Barcelona @ types at the moment, it is definitely a city that's been massively reshaped by the tourist industry so best to be mindful and respectful of that.

Flava O Flav

5 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Flava O Flav on November 29, 2018

R Totale

Does the bar have any actual connection with (any of) the existing CNT(s), or is it just kitschy decor? For more contemporary anarchisty places to visit in Barcelona, I'd recommend looking up Info Usurpa, although with the caveat that there seems to be a lot of anti-tourist sentiment among Barcelona @ types at the moment, it is definitely a city that's been massively reshaped by the tourist industry so best to be mindful and respectful of that.

If it's La Libertaria I'm pretty sure it's run by the CNT or at least a group of CNT members. I was there (not for the first time) last weekend. On the tourist thing agree, If you're going don't stay Air BnB as like here in Dublin it's been responsible for meteoric rises in rents. There's a CNT run café called Café 365. It has a big CNT sign over the door so you can't miss it. Pretty standard café inside. It's a couple of doors down from La Rosa de Foc, the CNT bookshop, which has a small English language section, some nice posters and T shirts, badges, flags etc. Worth stopping in.

The Spanish Civil War Walking Tour is very anarcho sympathetic. I've done it twice, once with Nick Llyod who started it off and again last weekend with Catherine Howley. The tour finishes up in La Libertaria and if you book in advance they send you a pdf of suggested reading and suggestions of other stuff to do.

Montjiuc cemetary is worth visiting too. Durruti's grave is there along with monuments to CNT fighters, international brigades, Maquis fighters and civilians.

Any time I come back from there I'm extra furious with tankies.

wojtek

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on November 30, 2018

Is there still a petit clothes store called 'ACAB' along one of those streets?

Ed

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Ed on November 30, 2018

Never been but I've heard great things about Carrara in Tuscany. They've got a statue to commemorate Alberto Meschi, anarcho-syndicalist who organised the marble quarry workers there (Carrara marble is world famous and I think the statue is made out of marble as well).

Serge Forward

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on November 30, 2018

There's also a monument to Gaetano Bresci there, the anarchist who assassinated king Umberto.

Flava O Flav

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Flava O Flav on November 30, 2018

wojtek

Is there still a petit clothes store called 'ACAB' along one of those streets?

Yes! Saw that. All Clothes Are Bonnie or something haha

Flava O Flav

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Flava O Flav on November 30, 2018

zugzwang

I was interested in Kronstadt at one point. Never been there, but would be cool to visit places you've read about.

google earth

Was considering going in 2021. Assume the authorities wouldn't be happy with any overt anarchist presence mind?

adri

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by adri on December 1, 2018

Flava O Flav

zugzwang

google earth

Was considering going in 2021. Assume the authorities wouldn't be happy with any overt anarchist presence mind?

Took me a while to understand the 2021 bit... Not the person to ask about traveling advise, or anything really. Kronstadt uprising wasn't exactly an "anarchist event" I guess, more like a reaction to war communist policies/Bolshevik government from all types of political affiliations.

Sike

5 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Sike on December 2, 2018

If in Chicago there is the Haymarket Martyrs' Monument in the Forest Home Cemetery which is sadly one of the few such memorials in the United States commemorating anarchist and radical labor history.