Quandry

Submitted by Picket on November 15, 2013

I should probably be pleased but I'm not. I've just had a phone call from a former employer saying he's looking to replace two guys who have just handed in their notice, and I was the first person he thought of. It's an IT job in the financial sector.

I haven't been working for a couple of years, been living off savings which I am lucky to have had, but I'm at the stage where I need to start looking for work. I applied to get into a university course to train for nursing last year and was in the final stages when I got into some trouble - I was depressed and abusing drugs and alcohol quite heavily, jumped out my bedroom window, broke my foot, police were involved, charged with possession. I was advised by family to be honest with the university who were going to take me on but that didn't work out well as they turned down my application after I told them (eventually, after a long bureaucratic process where my case went to a national board). The charges were dropped shortly after I'd been refused admission.

Anyway I had been thinking about applying again for next year. I was fed up of working in IT, especially in finance, and I have no reason to want to go back except money and I think it would actually help my application for nursing if I'm in work rather than not. It would probably help me looking for any other work too.

I don't know what to do, should I go for a job I actually hate but that gets me back into work and a "stronger" position generally? Or am I kidding myself that it makes any difference? I've also been getting involved in the local SolFed group and I'm excited about that and the possibilities for organising, but I think there is limited scope for organising in this company as the workers do have comparatively good conditions and are generally pretty complacent. There is no class struggle activity, just a "mock" union which is organised by the company (it's a former mutual).

I'm really not happy about going back to work at this place but it's not great for my CV that I've been out of work for so long so it's sort of an easy option. The immediate manager wants me to email him today (a confused request for my contact details which he already has).

Any help to clarify my thinking would be appreciated.

edit: I'm sorry for asking this here as it's not a careers advice board :) But my thinking includes "does this have scope for class struggle activity" and you're the only people I know who would understand that!

AES

10 years 5 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by AES on November 15, 2013

Pikel, It's up to you, what you intend doing. For some people being out of work for a period is useful to clear your head. You could say you were working as a self-employed sole trader doing research/writing on a project as a feasible explanation for a long unemployed gap.

Almost every workplace is difficult to organise in, see Meet my mates, the bastards amonst many others. . .

Croy

10 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Croy on November 15, 2013

For the love of god don't choose a job or generally any important life choice based on the level of class struggle in the work place. Look after yourself dude, you gotta let politics wait for a bit sometimes. I hope your well.

Picket

10 years 5 months ago

AES: Yes, you're right, it is up to me, and I've made an edit to my post which apologises for asking about this here but the edit is pending moderation :) The possibilities for organising and engaging in struggle are part of my thinking, though. Maybe they shouldn't be.

Being out of work has been useful to clear my head, I know I don't want to go back to this job! I'm actually scared of it. It could only be a stepping stone, but maybe I don't need one, and you're right, there are ways round gaps.

Croy: Yes you're probably right, but I can't help myself! And yeah I'm a lot better thanks for asking ;)

AES

10 years 5 months ago

In that case, if you're on a low income (in Scotland) you could apply for a waiver of fees at some universities (if you're intending on studying further). Tbh, if you are wanting to build up your thoughts on struggle through you own experience directly in struggles, then it's worthwhile remembering that capitalism affects social relations in every aspect of our lives, just as much at an employed position as with the unwaged and including (mature) students.

Picket

10 years 5 months ago

They actually pay you to complete the nursing training (here in Scotland anyway) and there would be no fees, it's all paid by the govt. Even if you've been to uni before and had fees paid (which I have). You work through the summers in placements.

edit: maybe that's changed since last year.

AES

10 years 5 months ago

Once you have had an updated look at your current work and study options you can make the best decision for you. Let us know if you want help to overcome some of your other worries (hastles with applications, cops, isolation, etc)

Picket

10 years 5 months ago

Thanks, that's very decent of you, I am OK though :)

Your confidence in my decision making abilities exceeds my own!

edit: I've emailed the manager in a very vague way, I would love to say "stuff your job" but can't quite bring myself to do that.

jef costello

10 years 5 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on November 15, 2013

If you can stomach the work and need the cash then do it. I tend to always take work because I hate not having a job even more than I hate working when I have a job :)
If it is financial pressure take it easy so you don't end up making yourself ill. And if you hate it try to think of a way out (like nursing) to make it easier.
Don't feel guilty about taking a job and although we should try and organise at work it isn't always possible.

Picket

10 years 5 months ago

I'm just rubbish at being grown up. Regretting making this thread now! Sorry! Please make it stop :D

Shorty

10 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Shorty on November 15, 2013

If you apply for next year, I guess studies start in September? Take the job, save up some money, work til the summer, quit and enjoy a few months off in the good weather before starting school.