What was the last film you watched? v3

Submitted by Steven. on October 14, 2008

A continuation of several older threads...

So, what was the last film you saw?

flaneur

12 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by flaneur on March 30, 2012

The Chaser, entertaining in a sleazy way but it was a bit daft a pimp suddenly gets a conscience to convienantly push the film forward.

Il Posto was better. Italian neorealist film about how working in an office and teenage infatuations are shit.

Khawaga

12 years ago

Submitted by Khawaga on April 7, 2012

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Decent spy action.

Melancholy of …

12 years ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on April 8, 2012

Gentlemen Broncos - loved it, so surreal.
Magicians - decent as in not a waste of time but not amazing either

sabot

12 years ago

Submitted by sabot on April 8, 2012

God Bless America: Fantastic!
Horrible Bosses: Really good as well.

Harrison

12 years ago

Submitted by Harrison on April 9, 2012

Bottle Rocket, good wes anderson film about rubbish criminals

bulmer

12 years ago

Submitted by bulmer on April 9, 2012

After seeing the trailer for the remake, I had the urge to see Total Recall again. That film is Arnie's best film imo. Could definitely have some form of anti-capitalist reading into it too. The thing I love most is those faces used on special effects though :groucho:

The remake is bound to be shit though, even if the special effects actually look real.

jameswalsh

12 years ago

Submitted by jameswalsh on April 11, 2012

The Hunger games- thought it rocked.

I liked The Immortals.

Alasdair

12 years ago

Submitted by Alasdair on April 11, 2012

They're remaking Total Recall? What the fuck? Why would you do that?

Ramona

12 years ago

Submitted by Ramona on April 11, 2012

Just saw the first 3 episodes of The Good Soldier Svejk (1955 animated version, should you be intrigued). Fucking amazing.

Harrison

12 years ago

Submitted by Harrison on April 11, 2012

Alasdair

They're remaking Total Recall? What the fuck? Why would you do that?

Haven't seen the original although i've been told it is good.

The trailer for the new one looks aussom though
[youtube]gA-18LuLDEQ[/youtube]

Ramona

12 years ago

Submitted by Ramona on April 12, 2012

Mate you *have* to see the original, it's really good! [/wanker that tells everyone the original of everything is always the best]

Harrison

12 years ago

Submitted by Harrison on April 12, 2012

I'll give it a go - in desperate need of something to avoid writing essays!

This girl nerd was quite convincing as to why remake will suck. The fact they have so heavily edited the original P K Dick story makes me sceptical...
[youtube]RgkHKBO5b5U[/youtube]

Khawaga

12 years ago

Submitted by Khawaga on April 12, 2012

To be fair, the original total recall had very little to do with the PKD story.

bulmer

12 years ago

Submitted by bulmer on April 12, 2012

The mention of Big Trouble in Little China makes me really want to watch that again. I don't think I've seen it since I was about 10 and I can remember having a weird attraction to it that's hard to describe.

The most important question about TR was brought up in this too. Will the woman with 3 breasts be in it? Apparently so...

flaneur

12 years ago

Submitted by flaneur on April 13, 2012

I still don't understand why they don't remake things that were shit the first time round, that'd make more sense. That said, new TR has a Deus Ex Human Revolution vibe to it which is always good.

I saw loads of rubbish but A Bittersweet Life was worth a watch. There's not enough gangster films where the main person worries about having never been in love AND gives his boss and all the people he's sent after him a slap.

bulmer

12 years ago

Submitted by bulmer on April 13, 2012

Got round to watching Big Trouble in Little China again. Brilliant film. I think I remember why I loved it so much when I was younger now. It was because I had a thing for the 2 'brides' when they were dressed up. There was just something about the way they looked :roll:

Harrison

12 years ago

Submitted by Harrison on April 13, 2012

flaneur

I still don't understand why they don't remake things that were shit the first time round, that'd make more sense.

ie. Battlestar

flaneur

That said, new TR has a Deus Ex Human Revolution vibe to it which is always good.

Still mean to get round to playing that. Currently replaying ME2, but not sure i'm going to like the third, because apparently the ending is shit.

flaneur

12 years ago

Submitted by flaneur on April 13, 2012

Aye, I want someone to remake Bloodsport as an existentialist arthouse film but still involving underground fighting rings obviously.

I just finished it this week. It's no Deus Ex but the art direction and wee touches are interesting enough. I completed ME1 but didn't carry my save over so now I can't be fucked with the rest.

jef costello

12 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on April 14, 2012

I watched the Hunger Games, it was pretty bog standard but amusing enough and will hopefully prevent them remaking The Running Man or Battle Royale ;)
It had some decent ideas but it was a bit derivative, there were some really silly bits and some unnecessary stupidity. The magic dog monsters probably being worst.
Saw the Total recall remake advert, it looked shit.
Saw the advert for Lock Out which is basically Escape from New York in space without Snake Plissken, so it'll be shit.
The Thing (2011) ok prequel to the awesome original which suffered from a bizarrely unevenly powered alien (more so than the original) and had a few ridiculous moments, mostly the test for aliens which was first of all pretty stupid and trying to inject tension by having not asking people first was just ridiculous. No way near as good as the original but not too bad.

Choccy

12 years ago

Submitted by Choccy on April 14, 2012

jesus can you have not seen the original Total Recall???

Melancholy of …

12 years ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on April 15, 2012

Pandorum - bit like Event Horizon but w/ less Cthulhu and more sci-fi. Saw ending a mile away and there was too much shit martial arts in it - I blame it on Paul W. S. Anderson. Still, scary-ish enough and a good thrill ride.

I've also obtained Bruno Dumont's Hors Satan and Tarr's last film A Turin Horse. Very excited about watching them soon.

flaneur

12 years ago

Submitted by flaneur on April 15, 2012

Paul W. Anderson did Event Horizon though?

Soapy

12 years ago

Submitted by Soapy on April 15, 2012

Harrison

Currently replaying ME2, but not sure i'm going to like the third, because apparently the ending is shit.

I hear that ME3 suffers from a lack of Harbinger.

Melancholy of …

12 years ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on April 15, 2012

Yes, he wrote, directed and produced Event Horizon, whereas he just produced Pandorum but the similarities are there.

Khawaga

12 years ago

Submitted by Khawaga on April 16, 2012

Cabin in the Woods. First movie I bothered to watch in the cinema in over a year. It's amazing. One of the best genre movies I've seen, period.

Melancholy of …

12 years ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on April 16, 2012

The Last Exorcism LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEEEEE and terrible ending

flaneur

12 years ago

Submitted by flaneur on April 20, 2012

That's what you get for watching a remake.

I saw Modern Times and Safety Last, Lloyd was no Chaplin alas. Le Trou, probably the best prison break out film ever, and Kiss Me Deadly, noir with Nat King Cole songs and science fiction paranoia. I have forgotten what colour films look like.

wojtek

12 years ago

Submitted by wojtek on April 20, 2012

[youtube]eNK7N3AwVFQ[/youtube]Is what Bob says in the first half of this scene true? x

Fleur

12 years ago

Submitted by Fleur on April 20, 2012

Wojtek - of course it's got better if you're Bill Murray lolling on a bed next to Scarlett Johanssen. It's hard to imagine any improvement on that, no matter what angle you look at it. :)

Flaneur - Modern Times has to be in my top ten favourite movies. i always put it on when I need cheering up.

x359594

12 years ago

Submitted by x359594 on April 21, 2012

A new dye transfer print of The Birds (1963.) Very beautiful and still a disturbing open ended allegory.

wojtek

12 years ago

Submitted by wojtek on April 23, 2012

[youtube]Id0V2F0DlTk[/youtube] :D :D Will trotting hahaha. Such a great film!

bulmer

12 years ago

Submitted by bulmer on April 23, 2012

50/50

Mary and Max

Submarine

M&M probs best out a those.

wojtek

12 years ago

Submitted by wojtek on April 24, 2012

Is 50/50 good, but more importantly have you ever tried the cancer line in a club? :p

EDIT: If you're going to watch this, having some tissues handy is a must. x

proletarian.

12 years ago

Submitted by proletarian. on April 23, 2012

The Mechanic, despite starring Jason Statham it was pretty enjoyable and entertaining. Just a shame about the 'clients' all being 'bad people', pretty lame. Streamed it on-line for free. Worth a watch. Much better than his more recent film with De Niro.

Mr. Jolly

12 years ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on April 23, 2012

Werner Herzog's last documentary, Into The Abyss. A look at the case of death row inmate Micheal Perry through to his execution, looking at the lives he has fucked over, the lives the death penalty has fucked over, especially those who administer the process and generally the mess that is guns, poverty and the death penalty in the US. Definitely worth a watch.

[youtube]_HJzyIJLPlg[/youtube]

jef costello

12 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on April 23, 2012

The Hangover part II. Won a free streamed film from film4 od (try the homepage, I think it's actually a promotion and everyone wins). It wasn't too bad but it was a basically the same film, a bit shitter, had two songs and was a bit disturbing at times.

jameswalsh

12 years ago

Submitted by jameswalsh on April 27, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7_8y-McLo

The Odyssey.

Brilliant :)
Rarely bettered in history I feel, if at all.

wojtek

11 years 11 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on May 29, 2012

[youtube]SBBoxXEBrxU[/youtube][youtube]a5yoqjABeBM[/youtube]
Pervert's Guide to the Cinema with Slavoj Zizek, the man's hilarious. I'm not the film buff I should be, but it was still fascinating.

Standfield

11 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on May 30, 2012

I've had a "film week" recently, and downloaded films I've seen talked about on here - Gattaca, A Scanner Darkly, and The New Babylon. Also re-watched Fight Club. I tried to get hold of Germinal, but couldn't find a decent download with English subs, as my French isn't what it used to be. Could anyone help?

I liked Gattaca, it was well made, fairly good script, and well acted. The New Babylon is incredible, and I'm happy I've come across that one, especially being a big fan of Soviet Russian and German Expressionist cinema.

A Scanner Darkly didn't really impress me, it was a bit too mumbly really, but maybe that's the point. Didn't really seem to go anywhere, barring the last 20 minutes. I liked the animation/acting idea though, it was almost Cezannian in character, flattening out the screen if you like. Still took a while to get used to, and I think this technique can be improved.

I'm still undecided on Fight Club. I think there's just a tad too much "coolness" - by that I mean the music and cinematography. I think the style overrides the substance a little, but each to their own. It has an interesting plot, but from what I took from it, it was a critique of masculinity, that I didn't really agree with. I need to think about it more.

I'm looking forward to The Master. I loved There Will Be Blood by the same director - the cinematography, acting, script (even though I've heard it's no a lot like Oil!) and the music. Jonny Greenwood's doing the score once again for this one.

[youtube]9oZDKFoCqAw[/youtube]

Khawaga

11 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 30, 2012

Red State by Kevin Smith. Very good and not a comedy.

Chronicle. Good superhero/sci-fi shaky-cam movie.

Fleur

11 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on May 30, 2012

FFS lay off tulips! They're about the only thing that I can grow really well.

I was wondering where this thread has gone when I had an overwhelming urge to bore everyone rigid with my opinions on The Avengers. Fortunately for all, the moment passed.

Khawaga

11 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 30, 2012

Oh yeah, and The Avengers. Lots of fun.

Harrison

11 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on May 31, 2012

Gattaca is really good, one of my favourite films.

Thought Chronicle was ace...

Watched 'Iron Sky' tonight. Had a lot of satirical stuff, but it was done so heavy handedly. I'd say it was just about on the good side of meh.

Puzzled_individual

11 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Puzzled_individual on June 2, 2012

Scum.

This was on TV the other night. Gritty as hell and hard hitting. It's about a British Borstal in the 70's, loads of racism, violence etc. what you would expect.

Monsters.

This was on last night. Didn't catch the start of it, but what i did see was very good. It's about aliens, and 2 people trying to get from A to B. Reminds me of Cloverfield in terms of the point of view it's shot from, and also aliens being in it. The soundtrack worked well and caught my ear. Yeah, i like it, a good, welcome twist on 'alien' movies, like district 9 but without the turning into aliens stuff.

knotwho

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by knotwho on June 5, 2012

I've also watched a number of movies recommended by you Libcom folks. Y'all have good taste.

Gentlemen Broncos - Pretty awesome. Napoleon Dynamite director, and has one of the guys from Flight of the Conchords.

Attack the Block - Also pretty cool. It would be fun to watch with kids who are 12+.

Also watched:

Scanner Darkly - I got a similar impression as Standfield. Would like to read the book.

The Salt of Life - Upper class Italian retiree trying to find love. Pretty good.

EDIT: I also watched Live Nude Girls Unite! It was pretty good, though they should have affiliated with the IWW instead of SEIU. You can watch it for free on HULU in the US.

arf

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by arf on June 10, 2012

District 9 and Goodfellas are the last two films I watched. Not for the first time, obv.

I keep promising myself a Sam Rockwell week, but then I forget, til it hits 2am and Im still awake and the only stuff on my telly is eighties game shows.

flaneur

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on June 10, 2012

Box of Moonlight is a good Rockwell film. Has John Turturro in it and a surf soundtrack.

I saw Pale Flower last. Japanese new wave noir. Sharp.

MT

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by MT on June 10, 2012

Germinal torrent here http://isohunt.com/download/178238369/Germinal.FRENCH.DVDRIP.XVID.AC3-NIKKA.avi, English subtitles here http://www.opensubtitles.org/sk/subtitles/3798601/germinal-en

Avengers - amazing and lots of fun!!!
Chronicle - very good and fun
Iron Sky - pretty lame to be honest
Sky Captain - horrible script, very good art/design/feeling
The Thing (2011) - thought it would be shit compared to the classic, but i liked the atmosphere. still, the classic is a classic

Standfield

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on June 12, 2012

Legend, thank you MT.

Khawaga

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 12, 2012

21 Jump Street. Surprisingly good. Funny movie and quite self-aware.

My Idiot Brother - ok. Better than most movies out now, but nothing special. Paul Rudd is good as the idiot brother.

knotwho

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by knotwho on June 13, 2012

Prometheus - Pretty good, but not as good as Alien. Not by a long shot. Still, it had good acting and beautiful camera work. They just messed up the editing and the character development.

Ethos

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on June 13, 2012

knotwho

Prometheus - Pretty good, but not as good as Alien. Not by a long shot. Still, it had good acting and beautiful camera work. They just messed up the editing and the character development.

Yeah, those first couple of minutes...talk about eyegasm. As for character development, I thought it was funny that one of the few, if not the only one, who showed more emotional states was the robot. I could have done without that coda after the credits as well.

[Prmoetheus Spoiler Below]

Also, I thought the scene where the geologist comes back as a sort of zombie was silly as hell; to the point of comedy.

fnbrill

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by fnbrill on June 13, 2012

Just found this movie on Youtube:

EROS PLUS MASSACRE: BIOGRAPHY OF ANARCHIST REVOLUTIONARY SAKAE OSUGI, AS OBSERVED BY 2 STUDENTS IN 1969

The film is a biography of anarchist Sakae Ōsugi, who was assassinated by the Japanese military in 1923. The story tells of his relationship with three women: Hori Yasuko, his wife; Noe Itō, his third lover, who was to die with him; and his jealous, second lover, Masaoka Itsuko, a militant feminist who attempts to kill him in a tea house in 1916. Parallel to the telling of Ōsugi’s life, two students do research on the political theories and ideas of free love that he upheld. Some of the characters from the past and from the present meet and engage the themes of the movie.

Osugi was evidently active in syndicalist groupings. I haven't watched the movie, just passing it along because I'm sure somebody here may be interested.

jef costello

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 16, 2012

Attack the Block - lots of fun if a little cheesy at times.
Due Date - Fun enough although not much realy happened and that guy from The Hangover is playing the same part he does in every film.
RED - quite fun, a bit of shooting and a silly plot but otherwise worth a watch.

Melancholy of …

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on June 16, 2012

Prometheus - terrible in all aspects

MT

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by MT on June 17, 2012

The Pact - after a long time a horror movie with an atmosphere

Soapy

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on June 17, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom, really white, really really good. So goddamn good, Wes Anderson just proves in this movie that he is a master of the art of cinema.

Harrison

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on June 17, 2012

starship troopers

the heros are really disturbing (guess why)

flaneur

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on June 17, 2012

Bug sympathiser.

[youtube]7oTNNjRuqbE[/youtube]

MT

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by MT on June 18, 2012

shit, Heat has one of the best action scenes ever (the shooting in the streets)!

flaneur

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on June 18, 2012

"We want to hurt no one. We're here for the bank's money, not your money. Your money is insured by the federal government, you're not gonna lose a dime. Think of your families, don't risk your life. Don't try and be a hero."

Locustinferno

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Locustinferno on June 19, 2012

Boo-ya:

[youtube]ZL9fnVtz_lc[/youtube]

Melancholy of …

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on June 19, 2012

Besides Prometheus (words cannot describe how bad), I also watched the oldie Office Space. Probably it's an iconic film for a lot of libcomm-like people but I found it really depressing! Obviously the part about taking control of the office was cool, but:
1 - no thoughts about using his new found power to help his class and his co-workers
2 - just because you've taken a weird path into management, doesn't mean you're not one (and showed already a few cunt-ish actions)
3 - their plan to become 'free' was completely individualistic and relied on stealing from worker pensions (couldn't they have stolen from some rich bastard's investment fund?)
4 - they're not even caught... they turn themselves in! Worst radicals ever.
5 - finally, he seems fine taking a manual labour job because at least he's outdoors and not in the office. See how you like it when it rains or when a concrete block falls on your foot and your employer isn't insured!

Locustinferno

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Locustinferno on June 19, 2012

Speaking of Michael Mann movies, a recent favorite re-seen:

[youtube]UiqwF_Y9S5Q[/youtube]

jef costello

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 19, 2012

Locustinferno

Boo-ya:

[youtube]ZL9fnVtz_lc[/youtube]

not working. I was going to rewatch that, I remember being very disappointed when I watched it.

flaneur

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on June 19, 2012

Locustinferno

Speaking of Michael Mann movies, a recent favorite re-seen:

[youtube]UiqwF_Y9S5Q[/youtube]

Yo homie, that my briefcase? I watched both of them within a week too. I've Miami Vice downloading. Mann is a beast.

Ethos

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on June 19, 2012

Shame

I liked it, but I don't understand why people praise Fassbender's performance in this one more than they do his performance in Hunger.

bastarx

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on June 20, 2012

MT

shit, Heat has one of the best action scenes ever (the shooting in the streets)!

Word, best movie shootout ever.

Steven.

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on June 22, 2012

Soapy

Moonrise Kingdom, really white, really really good. So goddamn good, Wes Anderson just proves in this movie that he is a master of the art of cinema.

word. It's amazing.

Other things I have watched recently…
- Martha Marcy May Marlene - excellent film with the new Olsen non-twin who has left a cult
- Rampart - Woody Harrelson plays a bad cop in the LAPD during the Rampart scandal. Pretty good, but it's no Training Day
- Attenberg - Greek film from the director of Dogtooth (which is amazing) about a weird girl brought up in an oppressive modernist urban environment

I watched In Time a few months ago following a recommendation here - fucking excellent! Another good recent film with communist leanings is Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy's Tower Heist!

Downloading Germinal and subtitles now, thanks for the links. It is my favourite book!

Standfield

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on June 26, 2012

"Hitchhiker's Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" (2005) - was awful, knew it would be, I just had to watch it out of curiosity.

"Control" - the Ian Curtis thing. For all of it's good reviews, I didn't really like it. I don't think the film really did a good job of portraying what kind of state of mind he was in, it was just like, "My marriage is failing, I had a few fits, time to go now...". It was a bit cold, in my opinion - the portrayal of depression could've been a bit less simplistic.

"When A Tree Falls" - This is about the Earth Liberation Front, and the subsequent conviction of one guy for an "eco-terrorist" bombing. It was mainly discussing the events, interviews with the people involved, and the term "terrorist", and what it means. Quite enjoyed it really. A fair few dodgy politics, but overall I sympathised with the eco-warriors. They genuinely seemed to regret the bombings (which killed no-one I might add), but the film also does quite a good job of showing us why they resorted to such action, and it certain ways, it is understandable, just misguided perhaps.

MT

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by MT on June 26, 2012

A.C.A.B.: All Cops Are Bastards - i really enjoyed it. it even has neonazi squatters in it, hehe. although it is not a very funny thing as it is a real problem in italy (not only for antifascist in italy).

followed the recommendation here and watched 50/50 - it is one of the films you think "what was so special about it?" while at the same time you enjoy it a lot and hardly forget it.

i might watch Tower Heist but it has very bad reviews so Steven., pray... :twisted:

Choccy

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on June 26, 2012

SAFE - typical jason statham, inoffensive action shite, rips of LEON a bit without any depth

PROMETHEUS - watched it in 3D with Revol, he didn't understand any of it and was all 'who's the alien? is this the same alien from out of ALIENS 2? which planet are they on?' what a bellend

jura

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by jura on June 26, 2012

God I watched Prometheus with my girlfriend and she was like Revol. Should I worry?

Railyon

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on June 26, 2012

I'd find that pretty cool personally...

Prometheus is a movie I just gotta watch as well but I'll wait for a bluray rip or something.

I just watched The Nightmare before Christmas in 1080p, impressive how much better this looked than the DVD version I have. Another movie that greatly benefited from its transition to HD was The Asphyx, now that was awesome how crystal clear a 16mm movie can look like.

Speaking of blu-ray, House of 1000 corpses was twice as awesome in HD... Cpt Spalding gotta be the most awesome movie villain in the history of ever.

sabot

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by sabot on June 26, 2012

Saw Prometheus on opening day. Not great, but I don't think it was absolutaly terrible as everyone seems to think.

Also The Avengers too a while back. It was ok, although my date fell asleep during the middle.

jura

God I watched Prometheus with my girlfriend and she was like Revol. Should I worry?

If she ever says something along the lines of "Have you even read Zizek?" I'd start to worry.

Steven.

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on June 27, 2012

MT, 50/50 you mean the movie with the kid with third Rock from the Sun in? Yeah that's okay. Quite enjoyable in some ways.

If you like that kid he's also in Mysterious Skin which is great (although it's yet another film with a paedophile that looks like me in it).

Re Tower Heist having bad reviews, what do reviewers know?! Ben Stiller has never been in anything not amazing: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=ben_stiller_should_star_in_every_movie

I just watched the film adaptation of Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I've been reading a bunch of B Traven recently. Really enjoyed it, very true to the book, it's great that Traven was able to oversee it (albeit while pretending to be his own literary agent!).

Standfield

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on June 27, 2012

Steven.

MT, 50/50 you mean the movie with the kid with third Rock from the Sun in? Yeah that's okay. Quite enjoyable in some ways.

He - Joseph Gordon-Levitt - was in another film called, "Brick". Seen it? I came across on late night telly a while back, it was really good, engrossing. Though I can't for the life of me remember what it was about.

The Treasue of Sierra Madre is quality.

Just watched "Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland. Really faithful to the de Maurier's short story, and the cinematography is really similar to Hitchcock's I think. Really good film.

Steven.

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on June 27, 2012

Standfield, Brick was a high school movie crossed with a film noir. I didn't really like it…

BTW, Control was amazing. I want to watch it again

Have half finished watching If a tree falls, will post my thoughts later

flaneur

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on June 27, 2012

"I think someone should just take this city and just... just flush it down the fuckin' toilet."

Standfield

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on July 1, 2012

Le mystère Picasso - a classic, and one I like to watch every year or so.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams, by Werner Herzog. About the cave paintings in Lascaux. Apart from the annoying overly-poetic commentary by Herzog, I found it interesting. It's my dream to one day go to Lascaux, but unless I'm a millionaire film-maker, or I get a job there, it looks unlikely.

Germinal. Didn't feel like the 2hours 30mins it actually was. Really intense, very realistic, and very human. In that respects, a good film. I liked the way Zola gave the bourgeois their own relationship problems. In artistic terms, I think it worked to demystify the elite.

I read the book around 8 years ago, while studying contemporaries of Zola at uni, and this film has promoted me have to read it again in the near future. I think it's fair to say it's more of a record of those times, rather than having any political ideas in itself. If there was anything in it, it is reformist I think.

The depiction of the anarchist is typical of the shady, bomb-throwing stereotype. This probably has something to do with Zola's relationship with Turgenev, who angered Russian revolutionaries of his representation of them - despite being a friend of Bakunin's. Zola was also known for "betraying" his closest friends - Cezanne in particular.

Still, a beautiful story, and brilliantly written. I remember it reminding me of Thomas Hardy's novels wierdly enough, in it's representation of nature being this all-encompassing "beast", and it's use when dramatising the events. This was touched on in the film - the only nice days are the party and the ending - but I think it still could've done more. The storm was only referred to in passing.

I enjoyed the film overall, and I'd watch it again, definitely.

Choccy

11 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on July 1, 2012

THE DICTATOR
fairly rubbish but did have some funny moments, not the kind of thing you'd feel the need to revisit

Standfield

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on July 3, 2012

^
That reminded me to watch "The Great Dictator", by Charlie Chaplin.

Wow. Probably my favourite film now, incredible.

Full film here.

wojtek

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on July 3, 2012

The Boys from the Blackstuff series (1982) on youtube - pertinent and depressing in equal measure.

Picket

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Picket on July 3, 2012

I watched Prometheus in 3D IMAX and thought it was really good. It's an Alien film, who cares about plot? It's visually and sonically stunning. It has its scary moments. I wasn't expecting anything else. I am no fan of 3D but I thought it was done well here.

Boys from the Blackstuff - good call wojtek, I saw this the first time round on TV when I was 9 and loved it then, I've been meaning to watch it again but keep forgetting.

Oh, I also saw The Angel's Share by Ken Loach. I was a bit disappointed by a fairly weak plot but it was good to see scenes shot in Edinburgh and Glasgow. That's a poor reason to like a film, eh? It was pish!

Railyon

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on July 4, 2012

Pandorum

Best movie I watched all year, straight 10/10

Jenre

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Jenre on July 8, 2012

Railyon

Pandorum

Best movie I watched all year, straight 10/10

Watched this last night based on this recommendation (and a cheeky look at imdb)

Really enjoyed it. so thanks, i guess!

petey

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by petey on July 8, 2012

Dial 'M' for Murder
liked it less than previous times, the grace kelly character was intolerable

Melancholy of …

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on July 9, 2012

Amazing Spiderman - interesting to see that superhero films are segmenting into genres, unlike just being of the superhero genre. Amazing Spiderman is a teen adventure film (think Buffy?), with embarrassed teenage romance, pesky parents, high-school status fights, mentor figures who disappoint, etc. Enjoyable, though.

Holy Mountain - holy shit!!!!!!!! Watch it!!!!!

The Running Man - I remember watching this film when I was a child and it left a big impression and made me want to fight for truth and end the spectacle. A tragedy of our times, and of my adulthood, is that worse crimes than the ones in The Running Man are revealed (editing of footage to cover State murder, et al) and no revolution happens, not even a lukewarm outrage. The creators of Running Man (Stephen King under a pseudonym) seemed to think that if the people discovered they were being lied to, they would rebel. :(

Ellar

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Ellar on July 9, 2012

White Lightnin. fuckin amazing!!! Love, murder, insanity and Appalachian tap dancing!!

arf

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by arf on July 9, 2012

also The Running Man. And immediately before that, The Little Mermaid.

At the end of the running man, after the kissing bit, i noticed arnie grabs token love interest by the back of the neck to lead her off. Bit weird.

It will surprise noone that my favourite character in little mermaid is Ursula the sea witch. Would like to know the backstory between her and Triton.

Harrison

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on July 9, 2012

godfather, before then driving around north london with friends in someones parents meat refrigerator van and pretending to be the coglione family.

knotwho

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by knotwho on July 9, 2012

Animal Kingdom - Another Libcom recommendation. It was good. Ben Mendelsohn's character was right creepy.

Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson didn't disappoint. Awesome acting by the kids.

Railyon

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on July 9, 2012

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

More of a trash movie than straight up horror, but I liked it. Especially dug Bill Moseley.

flaneur

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on July 11, 2012

"I don't know whether to fuck him or fight him."

Melancholy of …

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on July 11, 2012

Drive - a Kitano film but w/ hipster aesthetics

Soapy

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on July 11, 2012

Melancholy of Resistance

Why do you say hipster aesthetics? Because two people were in love with each other?

Railyon

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on July 11, 2012

Soapy

Melancholy of Resistance

Why do you say hipster aesthetics? Because two people were in love with each other?

lol, by that standard every Hollywood film would be hipster.

Or is being hipster while being hipster, aka being "normal", considered hipster with the hipsters?

Hipsters are weird

MT

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by MT on July 11, 2012

Steven.

meant this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1306980/

Melancholy of …

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on July 11, 2012

Soundtrack, the retro clothes, the hairstyles, a very strong sense of morality and so on. I didn't mean it in a bad way. Let me rephrase:

A Kitano film w/ contemporary young American aesthetics.

I thought the Kitano part was more controversial! But frankly the laconic, emotionally dead on the outside but very intense loner who has lots of power but no passion where to use it is a Kitano staple (not just Kitano of course). Pacing was overall similar too, Hana-bi or Brother would be recommendations.

Also very similar is Jarmusch's Ghost Dog.

Soapy

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on July 11, 2012

Melancholy of Resistance

Soundtrack, the retro clothes, the hairstyles, a very strong sense of morality and so on. I didn't mean it in a bad way. Let me rephrase:

I thought the Kitano part was more controversial! But frankly the laconic, emotionally dead on the outside but very intense loner who has lots of power but no passion where to use it is a Kitano staple (not just Kitano of course). Pacing was overall similar too, Hana-bi or Brother would be recommendations.

ya i see what you mean

Railyon

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on July 11, 2012

The first Violence Jack movie. Nostalgic like fuck, 80s post-apocalypse anime on steroids, think Fist of the North Star but 20% cooler

flaneur

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on July 12, 2012

Melancholy of Resistance

The laconic loner is an old hat archetype of cinema, from chambara, noir and Westerns. Though Drive is unique in showing people like that are socially inept and unhinged.

And what some would call hipster aesthetics, others would call a decent haircut and a nice set of clothes. Skinny jeans and a jean jacket, that's like crazy man.

knotwho

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by knotwho on July 12, 2012

revol68

kooky retard characters in a weird timeless non-place setting.

Deep critique.

Harrison

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on July 12, 2012

everyone knows that you can't be a real hipster unless you hate hipsters, which clearly casts doubts on revol's non-hipster credibilities.

FULL DEEP SOCIAL ANALYSIS

Choccy

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on July 12, 2012

Revol wishes he was hipster cos he read about it on the internet ;)

snipfool

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by snipfool on July 12, 2012

revol68

you are trying to out hipster the hipsters, you underhand hipster fuck.

this is revol talking about revol.

Jenre

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Jenre on July 13, 2012

Drive is pretty shit

Melancholy of …

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on July 13, 2012

I disliked Drive before it was popular to dislike Drive.

knotwho

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by knotwho on July 13, 2012

Sure it's not hemp?

Railyon

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on July 14, 2012

Started watching the first season of Space Battleship Yamato... full retro overload, I tell you, 70s sci-fi anime in 4:3 and shit, I out-hipster you all

Soapy

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on July 14, 2012

Any of you ever check out redlettermedia.com? They gained some internet fame when they did these hilarious reviews of the new star wars movies. They're also pretty cool because they criticize the shallow corporate culture in Hollywood. Check it out http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

Toms

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Toms on July 14, 2012

Yeah, but just the plinkett reviews. Half in the bag is horrible, they called sucker punch chauvinist or something like that (don't recall exactly)

bastarx

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on July 14, 2012

Suckerpunch was chauvinist and utterly shit in everything except its visuals.

Also Drive is shit as well, maybe I was hoping too much for something as awesome as Heat. The Town tried and was ok but not nearly as good as Heat. They should have at least got an ex-SAS guy to choreograph the shootout like Heat did.

Harrison

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on July 14, 2012

thats true, sucker punch was pretty blatant about criticising chauvinist shit. problem is it still did so through the medium of a film that sold itself on sex appeal of the victims in the film

and it was also a shit film

bastarx

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on July 14, 2012

revol68

Sucker Punch was deliberately sending up of chauvinist tropes, christ it wasnt even subtle about it.

I doubt Zach Snyder has the intelligence to send anything up.

jef costello

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 15, 2012

Melancholy of Resistance

That film was awful.

jef costello

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 15, 2012

revol68

Choccy

there aren't real hipsters in belfast, just simulacra.

:)

Khawaga

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on July 15, 2012

revol68

Choccy

there aren't real hipsters in belfast, just simulacra.

How can you tell the difference?

bastarx

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on July 15, 2012

revol68

It is indeed grim times when Snyder goes over the head of most film critics, then again we do live in grim times.

You can argue that Snyder failed to do what he set out to, that in many ways it was too ham fisted and of course he can't write dialogue for shit and so his characters appear one dimensional (though that could be seen as intentionally Bretchian)but to make the accusation it was just chauvinist wank fantasy is just stupidly lazy.

I'm a fairly literal guy so maybe it went over my head but if suckerpunch was a pisstake it was too subtle for a lot of the audience. And after the outright fascism of 300 and the watchmen it would have had to be a lot more obvious in it's satire to be noticed by me.

MT

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by MT on July 15, 2012

outright fascism of 300 and the watchmen

i don't give a damn about 300 as it was simply an action movie for me, but i consider watchmen a cinematography masterpiece that makes you think and not accept everything you are told. why do you think these movies were outright facsist?!

bastarx

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on July 16, 2012

I haven't read the Watchmen comic but I understand it's a satire of the fascistic tendencies of many superhero comics. Snyder totally failed to get this satire across and seemed to uncritically revel in the vigilantism. And it was boring too like all his other movies.

300 was racist, homophobic and glorified the 'perfect' human body, if that doesn't add up to fascism it comes pretty close. And the author of the 300 comic, Frank Miller, is known for his far right views. It also wasn't very good as an action film.

Melancholy of …

11 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on July 16, 2012

MT

outright fascism of 300 and the watchmen

i don't give a damn about 300 as it was simply an action movie for me, but i consider watchmen a cinematography masterpiece that makes you think and not accept everything you are told. why do you think these movies were outright facsist?!

Go read the book instead (Watchmen). 300 is beyond recuperation of any kind.

wojtek

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on August 8, 2012

Community

A smart comedy series about higher education - and lower expectations. The student body at Greendale Community College is made up of high-school losers, newly divorced housewives, and old people who want to keep their minds active. Within these not-so-hallowed halls, "Community" focuses on a band of misfits, at the center of which is a fast-talkin' lawyer whose degree has been revoked (Joel McHale), who form a study group and end up learning a lot more about themselves than they do about their course work.

Really clever and funny, I wish all shitty former polytechnics were this honest haha. One of the main characters, Britta Perry whose played by Gillian Jacobs is a stoner AND an anarchist cat lover! :)

She's got NOTHING on Ben Chang though!
[youtube]N7k78jEQXlA[/youtube]
[youtube]VtvIW6UHQbU[/youtube]

flaneur

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on August 8, 2012

The Man with X-Ray Eyes. Doctors should not do experiments on themselves to see through things (even if that involves everyone's clothes), because they eventually lose their marbles. Confessions of a Dog is interesting, probably the most ACAB film ever, showing Japanese cops in cahoots with both courts and the media, fake busts they've set up with organised crime, drug dealing, sleeping with underage prostitutes and bit of murder when they've time.

Khawaga

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on August 8, 2012

The Hunger Games. Not exactly Battle Royale, but a decent movie.

MT

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by MT on August 8, 2012

MT

Germinal torrent here http://isohunt.com/download/178238369/Germinal.FRENCH.DVDRIP.XVID.AC3-NIKKA.avi, English subtitles here http://www.opensubtitles.org/sk/subtitles/3798601/germinal-en

I had to warn all those who want to watch it with these subtitles - it seems it is just a google translation. I finally watched it last week and had difficulties to get what's going on and sometimes it was really bad (when something important was talked about).

perhaps also because of that i really didn't understood the whole thing and the story didn't touch me much. neither zala's politics express by it. i guess i will just read some short synopsis on wiki:)

not a bad movie, it didn't bore me and even had funny bits (including the anarchist character, which was mostly funny because i could imagine people telling quite similar stupid demagogic things in the a similar stupid way even these days, hehehe), but i guess i expected more.

MT

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by MT on August 8, 2012

and btw:

Raid: Redemption - kicks ass! a very nice surprise
The Help - finally I saw it. I was amazed by the acting! Otherwise it was a bit sweet, still I liked it.

Mr. Jolly

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on August 10, 2012

Not seen this for years, Slovenias finest export,

[youtube]pyAcNwaOpgw[/youtube]

ernest

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by ernest on August 13, 2012

Tyrannosaur: brilliant; moving and well made.

Toms

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Toms on August 16, 2012

nevermind

Ethos

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on August 20, 2012

I watched Coriolanus (Ralph Fiennes re-make) last night. Ignoring the political angle it takes, I'd say it was all right entertainment.

Although, I can't help but to think that a lot of the people who raved about it only did so because of the fancy language in modern attire.

Choccy

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on August 20, 2012

This week I'm gonna watch at least one of the following
BATMAN RETURNS 3
BOURNE IDENTITY 4
EXPENDABLES 2

Railyon

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on August 20, 2012

Cabin in the woods

8/10, good cube-esque movie with plot twists out of nowhere, but the ending (and by that I mean the very very last scene) was seriously weak, thus -1 point. Overall a decent movie

Toms

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Toms on August 20, 2012

I didn't like the whole ancients thing. If it had been "oh this is how horror movies are actually made" or something like that even though it would have been much more predictable and stupid I would have still preferred it.

Railyon

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on August 20, 2012

That would have been cool too. I would have preferred the cube-style conspiracy though, unknown objectives and all that jazz

The ancient things could have been potentially awesome if it were done right. Would have loved to see Cthulhu in the mix...

NannerNannerNa…

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by NannerNannerNa… on August 22, 2012

I last saw the (I think?) Swedish film Evil. It's about a "bad" violent, working class teen getting kicked out of his school and is sent to a boarding school. Believe me, it gets crazy and depressing.

Also its based off of a semi autobiographical book written by an honest-to-god former Maoist anti-american spy so uh there's that.

Harrison

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on August 23, 2012

Good Night and Good Luck

Great film about McCarthyism and the news corporations, directed by george clooney

The main character is accused of being an ex-member of that 'subversive terrorist organisation' the Industrial Workers of the World. 8-)

flaneur

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on August 23, 2012

Made in Hong Kong, about a triad having an existential crisis and falling in love with a girl who has cancer. FAMILY FUN.

thegonzokid

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by thegonzokid on August 24, 2012

Wall Street with Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen.

jef costello

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on August 24, 2012

Shifty
British film about a drug dealer and his long lost friend, not too bad but a little basic. And the dealer's brother didn't work somehow evn though the actor was good and the part was decently written. Might just be because I recognise him from something else. IT's free on iplayer for the moment.

Choccy

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on August 25, 2012

EXPENDABLES 2 - great film, really important piece of cinema

MT

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by MT on August 25, 2012

Harrison

Good Night and Good Luck

Great film about McCarthyism and the news corporations, directed by george clooney

The main character is accused of being an ex-member of that 'subversive terrorist organisation' the Industrial Workers of the World. 8-)

thanks for the tip! it was so great to see such a good film. i don't know anything about the story, so it is hurt to be a historical-political judge but from what i've seen, i have to say that clooney made a real masterpiece. it impressed me even more when i tried to imagine it being filmed not in black and white;)

Ethos

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on August 25, 2012

Harrison

Good Night and Good Luck

Just finished watching it because of your post, Harrison. Pretty cool film.

jef costello

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on August 26, 2012

Wilde: shockingly not ruined by Stephen Fry, who was just wooden. A decent film in the end, worth a watch.

Railyon

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on August 26, 2012

The Avengers

8/10, typical hollywood popcorn action movie that despite its obvious flaws does have its moments. Looking forward to the sequel (if Thanatos at the end of the movie is not a hint I dunno what is)

Harrison

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on August 28, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbEuq54FcBg
soul

Anatta

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Anatta on August 28, 2012

Wild Bill:

Directorial debut from Dexter Fletcher about a guy coming out of prison to find his kids have been living on their own after their mum ran off abroad, and are starting to get into the same sort of bother that landed him in jail. Decent film, fairly entertaining in an East End gangster kind-of-a-way, but also surprisingly touching in places. 7.5 /10

Dream House:

Psychological, supernatural thriller with Daniel Craig. The main premise is pretty stupid, loads of plot holes, saw the ending coming a mile off, but fairly well done and quite effective in places 6/10

Anatta

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Anatta on August 28, 2012

jef costello

Shifty
British film about a drug dealer and his long lost friend, not too bad but a little basic. And the dealer's brother didn't work somehow evn though the actor was good and the part was decently written. Might just be because I recognise him from something else. IT's free on iplayer for the moment.

Just watched the trailer on Imdb, looks decent, reckon I'll check this out, cheers

kent anarchists

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by kent anarchists on August 28, 2012

Alien Hunter..... NOT GOOD! :confused:

flaneur

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on August 28, 2012

Blade Runnah again. So bloody perfect but the love scene is very rapey. When a woman is leaving Harrison, you don't block the door.

Harrison

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on August 29, 2012

flaneur

Blade Runnah again. So bloody perfect

i might re-read the PKD book. its been a couple years since i last read it...

my favs have to be that, and martian time slip. maybe also penultimate truth. 3 stigmata was a bit too much of a trip.

flaneur

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on August 29, 2012

Me as well but I probably prefer the film. Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said is the best thing of PKD's that I've read.

Harrison

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on August 29, 2012

flaneur

Me as well but I probably prefer the film. Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said is the best thing of PKD's that I've read.

i'm in a library right now that has a copy. i shall withdraw it

flaneur

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on August 31, 2012

The Set Up, a real time noir about a boxer whose manager has set up a fall but he doesn't know it. And The Night of the Hunter based on a real bloke who married and killed all of his 25 wives. It was Robert Mitcham to be fair, how could you say no?

jef costello

11 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on August 31, 2012

Night of the hunter is awesome

flaneur

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on September 2, 2012

The original 13 Assassins.

Time theft in the 1840s.

JoeMaguire

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by JoeMaguire on September 2, 2012

I watched the Last King of Scotland, which despite Whitakers' standout performance, the film didn't have much to offer. It wasn't the Constant Gardner, nor was it Hotel Rwanda.

Ethos

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on September 6, 2012

Stranger than Fiction.
Existentialism and literary theory for the layman. I think the real thing is garbage, so this was no better.

jef costello

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on September 7, 2012

Gone baby gone. Decent acting from Amy Ryan but aside from that not very interesting. Overuse of the technique of killing the 'real' sound in the scene and too many welling strings.
The main character bored me and I am not quite sure why I am supposed to care that this is Boston.
Not a bad film but at most two actual characters and a plot that managed to seem convoluted although it was easy to follow.

jura

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jura on September 9, 2012

I didn't like Gone Baby Gone either.

Recently I watched or re-watched these, all of which I'd recommend:

- Salvador (1986) by Oliver Stone, on the civil war in El Salvador. Featuring Jim Belushi as a crazy American.
- Mississippi Burning (1988) with Gene Hackman, set in 1964, on the KKK
- The Great Escape (1963), I was surprised by how realistic it was, especially towards the end. When I first saw it as a kid I had no idea it was based on real events

Mark.

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Mark. on September 13, 2012

[youtube]8hEojBYmR-o[/youtube]

Searching for Sugar Man - this was actually pretty good.

MT

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by MT on September 15, 2012

Prometheus - very good atmosphere, but with a script that would be a waste of time to even talk about:D

Game Change - great body talk by Harrelson, generally entertaining as well

Cabin in the Woods - nothing groundbreaking but a very solid average at least

bastarx

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on September 16, 2012

John Carter, what a gigantic piece of fail. Fuck Hollywood has no clue whatsoever, it's like the technical ability they now have to put pretty much any images imaginable on screen has developed in inverse proportion to the ability to write, direct and act a coherent story.

Railyon

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on September 16, 2012

Iron Man (2008) - still my favorite Marvel movie, Tony Stark is way cooler than he should be to someone like me.

Dark Shadows (2012) - Burton movies with Depp in them always work. What made this move come alive was the style clashes between vampire movies, hippie flair and the canning industry - love how dead serious Depp was all the time, the end was a bit too abrupt (in a sense the opposite of what I usually think about endings - that they drag on too long). Contrary to my expectations, Victoria didn't have the big female lead role I thought she'd get though. Which kinda felt like there was something missing. Not sure about the rewatch value of this movie, but the humor certainly was compatible with mine.

snipfool

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by snipfool on September 16, 2012

Railyon

Burton movies with Depp in them always work.

There are Burton movies without Depp???

Railyon

11 years 7 months ago

snipfool

Railyon

Is that a serious question? ;)

Helena Bonham Carter was also pretty cool in Dark Shadows, though IMO her best role was in Sweeney Todd. Which was a fucking masterpiece.

snipfool

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by snipfool on September 16, 2012

Railyon

snipfool

Railyon

Is that a serious question? ;)

Helena Bonham Carter was also pretty cool in Dark Shadows, though IMO her best role was in Sweeney Todd. Which was a fucking masterpiece.

Hehe. Not a big fan of Burton, I just don't find him that dark or that quirky- two characteristics he's supposedly famous for. Depp's disappointing too. For some reason I still hold on to this idea that he's a good actor, even though he keeps making terrible movies.

Railyon

11 years 7 months ago

I'm a big fan of both, but Burton stuff I wouldn't actually call dark or quirky. Hard to describe.

Depp is a great actor to me and I generally love all the movies he does. Can't say I've ever been disappointed by him though the Pirates movies got worse each installment. Wouldn't say that's Depp's fault though... IMO he really shines in the 'strange' roles. Was kinda shitting bricks when I rewatched the first Nightmare on Elm Street, and a young Depp was the male lead.

Ethos

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on September 16, 2012

The Dictator. I think someone else already pointed out the similarities between Cohen's speech at the end of the film and Chaplin's speech at the end of The Great Dictator...I thought that was pretty good. The rest of the film was sort of "ehh". I chuckled occasionally, so I guess it's all right.

Railyon

Iron Man (2008) - still my favorite Marvel movie, Tony Stark is way cooler than he should be to someone like me.

Are we still going to be allowed to watch movies with capitalist heroes post-revolution? 'Cause I friggin' love There Will Be Blood; so much that I'm kind of willing to become a liberal just so I can continue watching it. ;)

wojtek

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on September 16, 2012

Robert Hughes examines the relationship between art and authority by looking at Dadaism and the art of political movements such as fascism and Soviet communism. Featuring works by Marcel Duchamp, Max Ernst, Otto Dix and George Grosz.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074qfm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKSp6j8UNw

Fascinating, particularly for a newbie.

Edit:

Railyon wrote:

Forgive me if I get my marvel and DC mixed up (I'm sured you won't and rightly so! ;) ), but it has to be Kick-Ass for me, though I haven't seen the Dark Knight Rises yet... oops that's DC, so yeah definitely Kick-Ass.

jef costello

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on September 16, 2012

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Wasn't enjoying it too much and then realised that I'd only been watching for 40 mins and couldn't face over an hour more of it.

flaneur

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on September 18, 2012

Motorway, a Cantonese love letter to Drive without the melodrama or skinny jeans, although more's the pity.

Alasdair

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Alasdair on September 18, 2012

I rewatched Gattaca the other day; it could be really interesting, but in the end the politics are shite. Looks amazing though.

MT

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by MT on September 18, 2012

Resident evil 5 3D - incredible opening scene plus some nice bits in the rest of the movie but poor screenplay and not likeable actors. still, a good entertainment if one doesn't expect much.

JoeMaguire

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by JoeMaguire on September 18, 2012

Bound for Glory - Woody Guthrie biopic. Really baggy, poorly scripted, but the songs are worked well in the film, so it just about scrapes through. It really went for the early background of the dustbowl period, which didn't make for the best viewing, but in retrospect probably made more sense. It did abruptly end pre-New York (where he took off in a big way, apparently) which was odd.

Dungeon Masters - Documentary which shows the worst side of three socially akward gamers. Good for observation, reminded me of certain personality traits that exist out there, but not very entertaining.

If a Tree Falls... - Award winning documentary ;-) on the recent repression against the ELF. Made all the good points along the way about the terrorism tag being shoehorned onto a non-violent group, about the conciousness/civility arc of people involved in direct action politics. Not being clued up about the events, somethings panned out different than I anticipated - basically who co-operates with the police etc. Interesting, but not a scratch on the Weathermen documentary from awhile ago.

Inheritance - Total emotional headfuck. The daughter of Amon Goeth, who ran the Plaszow death camp, discusses her life and we are subsequently taken on a journey with her to Plaszow to meet one of the survivors. Pretty gut-wrenching. Peppered with some really memorable scenes, because Goeth's daughter is plagued by her fathers actions.

Noa Rodman

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Noa Rodman on September 19, 2012

Rollover (1981)
(spoiler alert)

here is the scene depicting Global Worldwide Economic Collapse:
[youtube]6butfe1f9Hg[/youtube]

- "gold over 2000"

- "by tonight that will be cheap"

flaneur

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on September 20, 2012

Seconds, about a man in his 50s who begins a new life with plastic surgery and under a new name. Course, you can't escape your past and he dwells on the things he left behind, even if he is now Rock Hudson. Hudson was gay, but lead his public life as a straight married man, so there's a fair bit of parallels. He realises that all the nice things he had and his fancy job mean nothing, and he's led a wasted life which he's doomed to repeat. Made my corn flakes hard to swallow.

Soapy

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on September 23, 2012

The World of Apu, bollywood film from the 1950s, loved it, great music. The one Satyajit Ray film I've watched that doesn't have blatant pro-British and pro aristocracy propaganda in it.

jef costello

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on September 24, 2012

The breakup. prety pointless

wojtek

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on September 28, 2012

Hangover 1 & 2 were ace, Lesley Chou is a god and very surprised to see Yasmin Lee lol. Really hope there's a third! Oh and why isn't 'Bridesmaids' nearly half as good??

Just started watching 'The Trotsky' (2009), the opening few minutes are hilarious:

http://laborfilms.com/2012/06/04/the-trotsky-2009/

Fleur

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on September 29, 2012

Loved the Trotsky. Especially struck a chord with me, remembering my scowling young self who wandered about declaring everyone "facists!" There are loads of jokes in it which are nods to some of the absurdities of Quebec politics. There are 2 parallel school systems in Quebec, french and english, and at one point the kids are standing in front of a sign saying that their school is part of the Jacques Parizeau English School board. Jacques Parizeau was the Parti Quebecois Premier at the time of the 1995 referendum, and an absolute vehement opponent of allowing wider access to the english school system and restricting english across all sectors of Quebec society as a whole. Blamed the no vote on "the anglos and the jews, " an irony not lost on the anglos and jews when he was hospitalized in the Jewish General Hospital a few years back.

Last film I saw was Dredd. I grew up reading 2000AD and I thought it was amazingly faithful to the spirit of the comic, the oppressive, alienating nature of Megacity One, not trying to turn Dredd into some kind of charasmatic, sympathetic character, he's a nasty bastard. And loads of graphic, slow-motion gore. Best 90 minutes I've spent in a while.

slothjabber

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by slothjabber on September 30, 2012

Talk to Her: Pedro Almodovar.

The trials and tribulations of two men looking after women in comas. Strangely for an Almodovar film the main characters aren't the women. I enjoyed it, it's looking at some heavy themes of love and loss, and the performances (especially from Javier Camara, as Benigno, a nurse at the hospital whose obsession with one of the women is one of the film's main drivers) are excellent. Highly recommended for those who haven't yet seen it (it was released in 2002).

snipfool

... Depp's disappointing too. For some reason I still hold on to this idea that he's a good actor, even though he keeps making terrible movies.

Depp is a good actor - who keeps making terrible movies. I think his last great performance was probably in 'Once Upon a Time in Mexico'. Or maybe 'The Rum Diary' (also not a great movie I thought).

flaneur

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on September 30, 2012

He is a one trick pony that has coasted along for yonks on his 'good' looks. Even actually good looking Brad Pitt has acting chops. Dead Man was an awful long time ago now.

Monsters, about an alien invasion but not really. Disaster films wish they were this calm and soppy, and it helped with the hangover. And then Pierrot le Fou before going out again. "Why do you look so sad? Because you speak to me in words and I look at you with feelings."

Railyon

11 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on September 30, 2012

So much Depp hate... I think I'm gonna have a crisis of fanboy butthurt overaccumulation...

Silent_Wage_Slave

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Silent_Wage_Slave on October 1, 2012

Tried watching In the Mood for Love (2000) and The Double Life of Veronique (1991) but stopped halfway through both the films. I was finding the former quite slow, while the latter I found more ... engaging but progressively incomprehensible. Plus it was late at night and I had better things to do: lurk this forum, read up more anarchic texts, and since I follow cricket, update myself with the latest scores (England are out of the T20I; how does that make everyone feel? :P ) . ;)

Silent_Wage_Slave

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Silent_Wage_Slave on October 1, 2012

Soapy

The World of Apu, bollywood film from the 1950s, loved it, great music. The one Satyajit Ray film I've watched that doesn't have blatant pro-British and pro aristocracy propaganda in it.

I would hate to be a pedant here but, strictly speaking, "Bollywood" tag is used only for those films wherein the language used is primarily Hindi. Some people also oppose the term "Bollywood" as they claim it makes the Hindi cinema sound like a poor cousin of Hollywood.

Satyajit Ray directed most of his films in his native language Bengali at his native state Bengal. Therefore, majority of his films form a part of cinema of Bengal, rather than the much larger "Hindi Cinema" (or "Bollywood").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Bengal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood

wojtek

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on October 1, 2012

Soapy or Silent Wage Slave, do either of you know where I can watch The World of Apu? Thanks you :)

proletarian.

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by proletarian. on October 4, 2012

Not as mental as title suggests, some good reminders of what happened and how.
[youtube]THlaMUq6MKU[/youtube]

Standfield

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on October 4, 2012

Watched loads of films recently, but one that stuck out for me was "Looking For Eric", by Ken Loach. Even though Cantona was a boy-hood idol of mine - though never a United fan - I was kind of wary it would be another one of those glory-filled football films. So I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a really good, intelligent film, with a good blend of seriousness, and light humour. The scene in the pub where the fans are debating about the merits of F.C. United was brilliant.

Soapy

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on October 4, 2012

wojtek

Soapy or Silent Wage Slave, do either of you know where I can watch The World of Apu? Thanks you :)

Sorry about referring to it as a bollywood film.

I torrented it from here http://kat.ph/the-world-of-apu-apur-sansar-xvid-bengali-mp3-sub-ita-eng-por-rom-gre-tntvillage-t4297052.html

Mark.

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Mark. on October 4, 2012

[youtube]-Zi3k0JpivY[/youtube]

Tabu - A kind of low budget Portuguese art house version of Out of Africa. Which doesn't sound that promising - most of the Portuguese won't go to see Portuguese films - but I liked it.

wojtek

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on October 4, 2012

Cheers Soapy.

Watched loads of films recently, but one that stuck out for me was "Looking For Eric", by Ken Loach.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2012/9/6/manchester-united-a-lifetime-on-the-left.html

Melancholy of …

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Melancholy of … on October 4, 2012

Mark.

[youtube]-Zi3k0JpivY[/youtube]

Tabu - A kind of low budget Portuguese art house version of Out of Africa. Which doesn't sound that promising - most of the Portuguese won't go to see Portuguese films - but I liked it.

I watched it here in London. First half absolutely pure cinema, perfect. Second half a bit of bourgeois/colonialist wankery, but hard to say if it was intended or not.

Standfield

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on October 5, 2012

wojtek

Watched loads of films recently, but one that stuck out for me was "Looking For Eric", by Ken Loach.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2012/9/6/manchester-united-a-lifetime-on-the-left.html

Cheers Wojtek, great article, appreciated.

flaneur

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on October 5, 2012

Silent_Wage_Slave

Tried watching In the Mood for Love (2000) and The Double Life of Veronique (1991) but stopped halfway through both the films. I was finding the former quite slow, while the latter I found more ... engaging but progressively incomprehensible. Plus it was late at night and I had better things to do: lurk this forum, read up more anarchic texts, and since I follow cricket, update myself with the latest scores (England are out of the T20I; how does that make everyone feel? :P ) . ;)

Aye, you don't want to watch Wong Kar Wai films if you want something to happen.

I saw Hara Kiri, about the bushido code being a load of shite. And hara kiri obviously.

MT

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by MT on October 6, 2012

Diaz: Don't Clean Up This Blood - primarily about police raid on Diaz school during Genoa G8 summit. i'm still not sure what to say about this movie. for people without any background info it could be quite uncomprehensible. after those years, it was a bit unclear even to me who took active part in solidarity activities with the detained comrades. anyway, the movie depicts the events in a rough way and i am afraid this was the main focus. i say i am afraid because it feels like if the authors were not sure what else the movie should contain. there is a bit of antiG8 politics but very vague, there is a bit the non-violence vs. violence idea, there is a bit of some other things. also, sometimes it looks cheap, but sometimes very "profi".

in brief, most of the movie is very intense, rough, emotional. i wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sensitive to violence. all in all, it is really hard to judge this movie. but maybe this is the good thing about it.

wojtek

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on October 6, 2012

Beyond contempt police beat up hippie festival go-ers with commentary by all round good egg Nick Davies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHyDaAXw8Ck

Standfield

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on October 7, 2012

Ellar

Cosmopolis by David Cronenberg, with Robert Pattison. Absolutely fucking brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ZmIwteUAY

Can you please explain to me what it was all about?

I found it incomprehensible, saved by great cinematography, colour and the clever use of the "soundproof limo".

I probably didn't enjoy it also because a couple of hipsters sat behind us kept saying, "Brilliant!" "Genius!" "Haha! What a line!" etc. through the whole fucking film. They were laughing too! What the hell were they laughing at?

I'm honestly curious, I tried to do research on the original book when I got back home, but I'm still none-the-wiser as to it's genius.

flaneur

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on October 8, 2012

23 proletariat classics. Blue Collar is the best one, communist car factory noir :rb:

Night of the Living Dead 1990 remake. Barbra's back and this time she's pissed offfffffffffff.

Ellar

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Ellar on October 8, 2012

Can you please explain to me what it was all about?

I found it incomprehensible, saved by great cinematography, colour and the clever use of the "soundproof limo".

I probably didn't enjoy it also because a couple of hipsters sat behind us kept saying, "Brilliant!" "Genius!" "Haha! What a line!" etc. through the whole fucking film. They were laughing too! What the hell were they laughing at?

I'm honestly curious, I tried to do research on the original book when I got back home, but I'm still none-the-wiser as to it's genius.

It was about lots of different things innit....

On the one level it's about how capitalists create their own crises and their egoism brings them close to possible destruction i.e Pattison's character insisting on going to get the haircut even tho his security guards constantly advises him otherwise and as the situation gets more and more dangerous for him.

But is also just a interesting prediction of what people will be like in the future, not 1000s of years in the future but just a few decades ahead. Plus the acting is great and the cinematography like us said is very good.

Sorry about the hipsters, the only bit I laughed at was the scene where he gets his prostate examined "it's sexual tension!" "you have a aspherical prostate".

Standfield

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on October 9, 2012

I just felt I was missing the "in-jokes" for intellectuals or something... That was probably more to do with the couple sat behind me, like I said. And found it really hard to follow the dialogue. But, as previously said, the acting and the aesthetics of it still made it engrossing to watch.

I'll watch it again, this time in piece and quiet ;)

On a side note, one film I've definitely been looking forward to for a while now is The Master.

[youtube]fJ1O1vb9AUU[/youtube]

Ellar

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Ellar on October 9, 2012

Yes! Can't wait to see The Master, There Will Be Blood was incredible :)

knotwho

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by knotwho on October 15, 2012

Searching for Sugar Man - A brilliant doc about a Detroit musician named Rodriguez who never 'made it' back in the 70s, though his recordings were really good. Somehow or another he blew up in South Africa (like, bigger than Elvis) and sold half a million records. The movie is about a couple S. Africans trying to track down Rodriguez. It has a great narrative and footage from Cape Town and Detroit. I don't really know anything about apartheid, but that plays a role here, as does the working class culture of Detroit. If you're familiar with the Moth Podcasts, this is like a two-hour long one. Highly recommended.

Ramona

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Ramona on October 15, 2012

Looper, which I enjoyed, but possibly found funnier than it was supposed to be. It was all the funnier because the first time I saw Jeff Daniels on screen I was convinced it was a surprise cameo by Žižek, and was kinda disappointed it wasn't, since he'd be all over the Freudian shit in that film, the totalitarian father figure, the pure ideology...

(a cursory google for "Looper Žižek" confirms I'm not alone in this...)

Agent of the I…

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on October 16, 2012

'Promised Land' with star Matt Damon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQt1NAkhIo); it hasn't come out yet, so I haven't watched it. But it's premise is basically the people of a small town versus a $9 billion natural gas company. So it looks kind of interesting.

wojtek

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on October 16, 2012

Brokeback Mountain...
[youtube]-0MrczERAe4[/youtube]
imfao

Railyon

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Railyon on October 16, 2012

August Underground

Loved the broken tape look, and the effects were pretty awesome... not quite bloody enough for my taste though, but luckily the sequel offers more (never watched it in full, only bits and pieces but that'll change)

AU lost itself in random and quite trivial and pointless scenes to accompany the torture and killing (though that was of course intentional), but it still delivered the good stuff; that is, bloody vicious degraded misanthropy on film.

Stomach acted up in one scene, I consider that a good sign... (only watch this if you're a gorehound or a masochist)

wojtek

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on October 19, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WiRGcExb0E

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jun/19/potiche-film-review

David in Atlanta

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by David in Atlanta on October 24, 2012

Recently made movies I've seen are Loopers, Seven Psychopaths and The Master, all of which I enjoyed. Older stuff includes Village of the Damned and Lord of War. The special effects in the former were laughable by todays standards but the cast and story were excellent.

S. Artesian

11 years 6 months ago

Submitted by S. Artesian on October 24, 2012

Holy Motors. But don't ask me to explain it more than this: Scenes within movies, within a movie, within a movie, within a limousine.

flaneur

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on November 23, 2012

Escape from L.A, The Big Lebowski which I should have watched sooner and Ghost Dog which is better than Le Samourai. Yeah, I said it.

Comrade Motopu

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Comrade Motopu on November 23, 2012

Harlan County War with Stellan Skarsgard and Holly Hunter. Also features the guy who plays "Monk's" boss in the tv series, and he is great. It is about 1970s Kentucky miners and is almost a dramatization of Harlan County USA, with many of the same developments over the course of the strike. Still, it's a good sister movie. Sadly, Hunter was in the recent anti-union "Won't Back Down," a movie promoting school privatization and demonizing unions. Not sure what the hell she was thinking, but I have no idea what her actual political views are. Matewan is classic, but Harlan County War is worth watching.

I appreciated that they portrayed the female lead character working closely with the male union organizer, but the idea that an affair would occur was never even raised, even as their friendship deepens. That seemed pretty mature and uncharacteristic of Hollywood to me. There is tension between the husband and wife, but it stems from the miner husband's sense that he is neither providing for the family nor able to be as radical as he wanted to be given the parameters of the strike. The characters are fairly well developed and very sympathetic.

fnbrill

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by fnbrill on November 24, 2012

Cockneys Vs. Zombies: Dumb, fun UK Zombie Film. Zombies kind of stand in for gentrifiers.
Juan of the Dead: First Cuban horror film. Fun zombie film with lots of social satire.
Evil Dead 3: A "where have you been all my life" moment. SO fun
Moonshine Kingdom: very sweet, enjoyable, probably Anderson's best film, but doesn't have the underlining commentary/sadness of his other films. Life Aquatic is still my fave.

Ethos

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on November 24, 2012

Watched "Lincoln" the other night. Y'know, fanfare, oscar-bait and grandiose. The amazing part was that Fredrick Douglas wasn't even mentioned. It's kind of like making a movie about Kennedy and the civil rights movement without mentioning or showing Martin Luther King, jr. Way to go, hollywood.

S. Artesian

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by S. Artesian on November 24, 2012

Riding Giants about the history and development of "big wave" (9+ meters) surfing in Hawaii and California. Loved it. Growing up in Chicago, always dreamed of going to California and becoming a surfer. Pity I hated (and still hate) water.

flaneur

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on November 24, 2012

[youtube]9fuPsC_UD1Q[/youtube]

Like a Nestor Makhno and (spoiler alert) Ted Kazynski on steroids.
tc1984tc 1 day ago

jef costello

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on November 25, 2012

flaneur

Ghost Dog which is better than Le Samourai. Yeah, I said it.

How the fuck have you not been banned.
You shouldn't even be allowed to watch films.
Inception: quite fun, although a bit silly. Made me want to rewatch Dark City.
Scott Pilgrim: Another fun film, I'm not sure if it quite worked but the combination of music and visuals was really good, although it did sometimes stick out a little bit.

MT

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by MT on November 25, 2012

Total Recall (2012) - i regret i didn't go to cinema to watch it. no doubt much better than the original one with Arnie.
Ted - it felt so nice and good to watch it.

flaneur

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on November 25, 2012

jef costello

flaneur

Ghost Dog which is better than Le Samourai. Yeah, I said it.

How the fuck have you not been banned.
You shouldn't even be allowed to watch films.

Dannny

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Dannny on November 25, 2012

Just watched The Way We Were with Redford and Streisand on bbc2 while my flat filled up with the smell of chicken stock simmering along. Excellent Sunday afternoon fare. And to think I nearly stayed in the pub to watch Chelski - Shitty! She's a communist, he's not, they fall in love in interesting times. Very sweet, and Streisand is ace. "You think you're easy? Compared to what - the 100 years war?!"

Cooked

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by Cooked on November 25, 2012

East of Eden

Some awesome scenes and photography. The one where the weeping willow (or whatever) obscures just enough and the brother stands with his back to the camera...

Can't make up my mind if I like James Dean's "I'm a troubled kid so I walk by sort of falling" thing or not but I think I'm coming out in favour of it.

Definately recommend the film.

MT

11 years 5 months ago

Submitted by MT on November 25, 2012

Cockneys vs Zombies - cool working class zombie comedy:)

ernest

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by ernest on December 1, 2012

Haeven/A better world. Excellent Danish film about violence, revenge and moral choices. Stunningly filmed well worth the watch. Acting is excellent.

jef costello

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on December 1, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - found it a bit dull, none of them really emerged as characters and the plot was too obscured to grab my attention.

Soapy

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on December 1, 2012

jef costello

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - found it a bit dull, none of them really emerged as characters and the plot was too obscured to grab my attention.

I highly highly recommend the BBC miniseries with Alec Guiness by the same name

bastarx

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on December 2, 2012

jef costello

This. Maybe if I'd read the book it would have been OK, but it was tedious and mystifying.

jef costello

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on December 2, 2012

bastarx

jef costello

This. Maybe if I'd read the book it would have been OK, but it was tedious and mystifying.

I've seen a few reviews that said if you'd seen the mini-series or read the book then it was a lot better. I didn't find the plot too hard to follow (although I wasn't quite sure about the bit at the end) I just found that they didn't tell me enough about it to make me feel as if anything was really at stake.
I would like to see the mini-series, it's a shame that the BBC don't put old stuff up on the iplayer.

flaneur

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on December 6, 2012

knotwho

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by knotwho on December 6, 2012

Still Bill - Doc about Bill Withers. Slightly corny, but pretty good. He was like 30 when he learned to play a guitar. Then he got famous and then he faded away. There's a good parallel story within the film about his daughter's quest to be a musician.

Stranger: Bernie Worrell on Earth - It's got interviews with everybody but Bernie (David Byrne, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Dr. Know, etc.). Basically, the dude's an under-appreciated genius on the keys whose innovations -mainly with Parliament/Funkadelic- have really crept into mainstream music. Sadly, he's been screwed out of all kinds of royalties. The movie shows him playing with all kinds of people: Les Claypool, Government Mule, Talking Heads, P-Funk.

Weather Underground - I think the film is excellent. Certainly nothing about class self-organization, but the time period is portrayed with such anxiety and the development of the central personalities is really well done. If they had been anything but (rich?) white folks, these people would be dead by now. I like what Mike Davis had to say:

I’m trying to argue against people who are doing histories of the ’60s. They’re looking at far too much from the top down, the media-appointed celebrities, old-guard leadership, the rich kids who became the Weathermen. They’re not looking at the rank-and-file kids. They’re not seeing how the ’60s were cultivated and made possible by this massive anti-authoritarian youth rebellion that began in the late ’50s. First of all by first-generation, young black northerners. Then amongst white kids of all kinds. My kind of pre-politics was with this stuff—drinking, racing cars, breaking windows, stealing cars. It wasn’t just trivial. There was a deeper and very serious aspiration.

That's a film that needs to be made.

Stan Milgram

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Stan Milgram on December 8, 2012

I watched "Drive" online the other day. I saw "Valhalla Rising" before Drive and like Winding Refn's style. Valhalla Rising reminded me of Tarkovsky's style. Very surreal, a good hangover movie. With Drive I didn't think Ryan Gosling could pull off the role but he did. The elevator scene was good. Violence as art. It works. Him stepping out of the darkness to have his last embrace with her in the light before stepping back into the darkness, the jacket with the scorpion on it signifying the old tale of the scorpion and the frog. Good stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

[youtube]PDNGe60co4k[/youtube]

thegonzokid

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by thegonzokid on December 10, 2012

Halfway through re-watching Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Fleur

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on December 13, 2012

Skyfall.
I don't actually expect much from a Bond movie, they're not Bunuel, Fellini, they're not going to provoke many interesting thoughts or send me away enlightened in any way, but I do expect fast cars and exotic locations. With Skyfall I got the London Underground and Scotland. No disrespect to Scotland, but no-one's going to emerge seductively out of Loch Lomond in a swimsuit. Bond seemed to be having the mother of all mid-life crises and where it was nice to see the Aston Martin again, he did have the look of a man who would have probably preferred a Volvo.
I suspect that I might have enjoyed it more if I had gone for a couple of beers first.

omen

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by omen on December 13, 2012

Wrath of the Titans

I watched this while drunk, so I think it only fair to review it while drunk. Also, for no particular reason, I'm going to write my review in the form of a single incomprehensible sentence.

So from what I could make out some Australian bloke who looks like that northern actor from those annoying job website adverts, but probably isn't, because why would he put on an Australian accent in a movie set in ancient whereever the fuck it is set (greece or rome? it just looked like they stood a bunch of extras on the beach and cgied everything else in, to me), so as I was saying the Aussie bloke, goes to find Xena and a cockney Jesus, played by Russell Brand, or someone like that, and they all set off in search of Liam Neeson, who has a beard but doesn't yet look like Gandalf, because someone else who does look like Gandalf tells them too right before he dies, and they have to go and find Dumbledore (he really does look like Dumbledore, you know) who it turns out comes from Manchester, and then I chased this really anoying fly about the room with a tissue for ten minutes, and by this time there were all these cgi rocks whizzing around and exploding, in the film, and this really big bloke with a face made of lava who keeps mumbling about something or other, who's hanging out with that bloke from the Harry Potter films who had his nose removed by a computer, but in this film he has a nose, and a beard, and there's also this arsehole with a beard, (this film has too many beards), and then Aussie bloke turns up and rescuse Liam Neeson, who by this time has turned into Gandalf, and I thought the bloke who didn't have a nose in the Harry Potter movies died here as the fly distracted me for a moment but it turns out he didn't later on, anyway, then there's this big battle where these cgied extras who you don't care about get slaughtered, and old Lavaface is mumbling, and the Aussie kills the arsehole with the beard to impress his son, or something, then flies down Lavaface's throat on a horse and, I can only assume, out of his anus, and he explodes, the cgied extras no one cares about (the one's who haven't been slaughtered) all cheer, and No Nose turns out to be helping the goodies now (buh?) and Liam Neeson, who doesn't look so much like Gandalf anymore, turns to dust (I think he was a vampire or something), and Aussie bloke kisses Xena (it turns out she was the love interest - who knew?) and Russel Brand cracks a joke, and also something about Aussie bloke bonding with his son in a vague attempt to make us care about him which failed miserably, and right at the very end it turns out the Titan in "Wrath of the Titans" is spelled with a backwards "N" which is really clever.

So, in summary, Grenache Noir, £10 for three at a popular supermarket, is full bodied, fruity, red, 13% by volume, and has a really difficult to remove cork.

Also, the fly continues to elude me.

Fleur

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on December 13, 2012

That's probably the best film review I've read in a long time. Wrath of the Titans is a truly dreadful movie, which is best avoided without a serious amount of alcoholic lubrication. It is not as bad as Immortals however, which apparently had a lighting budget of about five bucks, you couldn't actually see what was going on half the time but in it's defence it should take home the award for the most ridiculous headwear in any film ever.
This weekend I will be taking a medium sized herd of small boys to see the Hobbit and unfortunately because of that responsible adult clause, I will have to sit through the full three hours stone, cold sober.

Wiggleston

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Wiggleston on December 14, 2012

omen - holy fuck dude that was just absolutely superb

Soapy

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on December 14, 2012

Stay tuned for my review of the Hobbit. I plan on getting really baked tonight and seeing it at midnight.

Soapy

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on December 14, 2012

The Hobbit
Pretty fucking awesome.

Look for the Zionist subtext that probably didn't really exist but I noticed anyway.

omen

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by omen on December 18, 2012

OK, so I've got to the booze again, and this probably isn't a good idea (and goes against everything this thread title stands for), but the next film I am going to watch is Clash of the Empires, which was originally titled Age of the Hobbits before the suing began. I shall watch it tomorrow, with booze, and post my review here then, if I haven't passed out/killed myself.

Basically it's a thinly disguised attempt to make money from people too thick to realize that major Hollywood movies don't get released straight to DVD the day before they premiere in the cinema.

Now, unlike all of The Asylum's other movies, this one isn't technically plagiarism, as, and I quote: "Age Of The Hobbits is about the real-life human subspecies, Homo Floresiensis, discovered in 2003 in Indonesia, which have been uniformly referred to as ‘Hobbits’ in the scientific community."1

I can't wait!

[youtube]vfGk-5Fvduw[/youtube]

• 1Though the dragon at the end of the trailer suggests that it may not be as entirely palentologically correct as advertised.

Noa Rodman

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Noa Rodman on December 19, 2012

The Hobbit
Pretty fucking awesome.

Any movie with a mountain of gold in it is awesome.

omen

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by omen on December 19, 2012

My Movie Review, by omen

Age of the Hobbits is the latest [s]movie[/s] combination of moving pictures and sound from The Asylum. It features people, who occasionally do things and speak words, events, which happen for 87 minutes and then stop, and places, in which the events happen. It stars Some Guy who used to be on television, in an actual television show.

OK, so it starts with some hobbits wandering about, and they get attacked by some dudes wearing plastic halloween teeth, then some more dudes with halloween teeth flying on dragons turn up at the hobbit village, and they all run round and round in circles, and no one seems to be actually doing anything other than running around in circles, because that's what the director told them to do! Now the hobbits are all played by Indonesians, and despite apparently speaking English, they are all dubbed with cheesy American accents. So, one of the hobbits gets dangled from a dragon and flown away, but she drops rocks so the other hobbits can find her. Now the rocks are supposed to be magic or something, but they're really big, and I've no idea where she hid all of them, as she's tiny! Maybe that's how they are magic? But anyway, her family follow the magic rocks, and on the way they rescue Some Guy from a wolly rhino - in a tropical rain forest! Some Guy, who it turns out is called Anthea, I think, and also turns out to be playing exactly the same character he played in his TV show, is so grateful he takes them back to his village, where his incompetent and over acting king, who has manky teeth and wears a fur hat (in a tropical rain forest!) with tiny antlers on it, has them tied to a tree, with very loose rope, which they could obviously escape from, but they don't until Anthea comes to set them free, by ever so lightly pulling on the rope. One of the warrior women from the village steps out to block them from escaping, and for some reason or other she has to walk about in her underwear for the whole movie. Also, she is the only non-American who gets to speak with her own voice, as presumably her agent put a clause in her contract saying don't dub over her voice you racists, or something. Anyway, she offers to help the hobbits as well, and they all set off together, with enough extras to get picked off along the way, to rescue mother hobbit.

At this point I ate a bag of pickled onion monster munch.

Now, much of the rest of the movie consists of wandering about in some woods a lot, and cutting to a cave where mother hobbit and some other hobbits wander about a cave a lot. Also, a giant spider spits venom (like they do) into the Underwear Woman's face which blinds her, but then she's OK again almost immediately, phew! And then Anthea gets bitten by a giant venomous lizard, and spends the next 20 minutes or so sweating and generally slowing the hobbits down, even though he's supposed to be helping them which was the whole point of his going along! So underwear Woman catches one of the halloween teeth men by whacking him in the balls with a big stick (remember that bit, it is important later!), then he trips up for no reason and smashes his head on a rock and dies. Then almost immediately one of the goodies wanders into a spikey trap, and gets stabbed by wooden spikes, which we don't even get to see! Now, there's a lot of this: people dying in gruesome ways which we don't quite get to see! So anyway, two of the hobbits sneak stealthily into the halloween teeth dudes cave, and immediately begin making loud bird noises, for some reason or other, even though they are trying not to attract attention, and the halloween teeth dudes have such lax security that pretty much all the remaining characters are able to wander freely about the cave making as much noise as they like.

Then I ate a mince pie.

So it turns out the halloween teeth men want to eat the hobbits after making them wander about the cave, and their queen even kills one, but it looks more like attempted cannibalism to me, as although they keep talking about eating them, you never once see them eating anything! Then we get the money shot, as someone (I didn't see who) throws a spear through the halloween teeth queen's eye, and you actually get to see it go in the eye and out of the back of her head! (So like why couldn't we see all the other gore, hmmmn!?) So then, for no reason at all, the incompetent king from earlier with the tiny antlers turns up with some warriors to save the day, and he's killed straight away, as he's rubbish. Underwear Woman whacks a guy in the nuts with a big stick again, but this time nothing happens, and the guy just says "coconuts!" so she stabs him in the face instead. (This is the pay-off for the previous nut-whacking gag.) Oh, and the big battle scene consists of a bunch of men waggling sticks back and forth like its a sword fight in a school play, or something. No one actually tries to hit each other, they just keep hitting each other's weapons! And the goodies basically wipe out the halloween teeth men, and then after they've all been wiped out Underwear Woman looks into the camera and shouts "I will avenge you brother!", even though everyone's already dead! Then one of the hobbits, for no apparent reason (at that time), in the aftermath of the battle invents a musical instrument, made from a coconut and two horns, which looks coincidentally like a bow, and also, unrelatedly, invents a small sharpened stick. One of the halloween men gets up, and the quick thinking hobbit shoots him in the head with his makeshift ukulele bow and arrow. So it turns out that hobbits invented the bow an arrow, after all - which is the big reveal at the end!

Right at the very end, Anthea says to the hobbits in dramatic fashion: "May your descendants live for 10,000 years!" Which is somewhat ironic, as the movie, we are told at the beginning, is set 12,000 years ago, and the hobbits are supposed to have died out around 12,000 years ago. So presumably just after the titles roll, the hobbits walk around a corner and are all eaten by a dinosaur, or something, even though dinosaurs died out millions of years ago, but it's not like this movie is striving for accuracy or anything.

Top that, Peter Jackson, with your big budget, well written script, special effects, and actors.

In summary: Hawksridge Cider, £2 for two litres, 4.2% by volume, best served chilled, and comes with free alcoholism.

slootdewoot

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by slootdewoot on December 20, 2012

Soapy

Look for the Zionist subtext that probably didn't really exist but I noticed anyway.

ahhh... marijuana

flaneur

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on December 21, 2012

ALPHABET CITY.

flaneur

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on December 21, 2012

And Life Without Principal, a Cantonese noir about the financial crisis, banks purposely misleading people investing and working a soul destroying job doing it. Probably the realest film about the crash.

omen

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by omen on December 22, 2012

Dredd 3D in 2D (to show solidarity with cyclops).

I liked Sylvester Stallone's performance, but you couldn't see his face - he shoulda took his helmets off so you could see his face! That's what the fans paid to see, damnit! Also, where the hell was Rob Schneider? A Judge Dredd film isn't a Judge Dredd film unless its got Rob Schneider gurning into the camera and capering about like he's having an embolism or something. Hey! Give the public what they want to see, Hollywood, you assholes!

[youtube]ZxYA6duF-9E[/youtube]

omen

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by omen on December 24, 2012

Back to the Future: Part 2.

Things I learned from this film: 1) It's only two years to go before we get flying cars! Yay! 2) Analog TV will make a come back, for some reason. 3) It had more plot-holes than I remembered. 4) Still good though.

Noah Fence

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on December 26, 2012

Just watched 'There Will Be Blood'. Amazing film about an oil hunter in California around the turn of the 19th/20th century. The performance by Daniel Day Lewis is incredible. Seriously, you have to see this film.

papercupmachine

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by papercupmachine on December 28, 2012

I saw thuppaki (Tamil film)

fnbrill

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by fnbrill on December 28, 2012

7 Psychopaths, written by same guy as "In Brugges". Fun but not great film. Somewhat disconcerting because American characters talking like Irish (ie the screenwriter). But probably the best role I've ever seen Christopher Walken in, funny, scary and over the top all at the same time.

flaneur

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on December 29, 2012

[youtube]-YRvDh-T6UY[/youtube]

thegonzokid

11 years 4 months ago

Submitted by thegonzokid on December 29, 2012

The Flight of the Navigator. On telly today, one of my favourite childhood films.

petey

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by petey on December 30, 2012

zero hour, the film on which airplane! is based. a B movie, it has its own drama, but it's hard to watch without comparing every scene with the spoof (which is much more elaborate a movie, btw)

Stan Milgram

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Stan Milgram on December 31, 2012

[youtube]_Ywu_o_0dms[/youtube]

sabot

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by sabot on January 2, 2013

fnbrill

Django Unchained. Awesome.

Second this

Toms

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Toms on January 2, 2013

la chispa de la vida

Really liked it. Won't say much about it because I don't want to spoil the story, but watch the trailer as it doesn't really ruin anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I45RrYNP2o

Ambrose

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Ambrose on January 3, 2013

Les Misérables. Absolutely amazing, and is friendly towards communism and anarchism, for a Hollywood film anyway.

Noah Fence

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on January 20, 2013

I posted on this thread previously about the film THERE WILL BE BLOOD. It's a truly incredible film in which the main character personifies how cold and focused capitalism can be.
I just wanted to flag up the fact that anyone in the UK can see this film tonight at 11 o'clock on BBC2.

Choccy

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on January 20, 2013

SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS - actually pretty funny

Soapy

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on January 20, 2013

Webby

I posted on this thread previously about the film THERE WILL BE BLOOD. It's a truly incredible film in which the main character personifies how cold and focused capitalism can be.
I just wanted to flag up the fact that anyone in the UK can see this film tonight at 11 o'clock on BBC2.

Haha you Brits are pretty late on this one. Really great soundtrack by Thom Yorke btw.

Noah Fence

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on January 20, 2013

Thom Yorke? I've seen this fillm 3 times and didn't realise! Doh!

Tian

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Tian on January 20, 2013

Soapy

Webby

Haha you Brits are pretty late on this one. Really great soundtrack by Thom Yorke btw.

Close - Jonny Greenwood, also from Radiohead.

Also one of my absolute favourite films.

Soapy

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on January 20, 2013

I don't know if anyone has every seen this thing called Wizard People Dear Reader? It's hilarious.
[youtube]GlPaOoHIU34[/youtube]

Sten

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Sten on January 22, 2013

sabot

fnbrill

Second this

Thirded.

flaneur

11 years 3 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on January 22, 2013

fnbrill

I like the way you post, boy.

Noa Rodman

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Noa Rodman on January 30, 2013

I watched online the 2 part film We The Living (Noi vivi) based on Ayn Rand's novel. It was not the original 1942 lengthier film version though (which was loyal to the first version of her book). Perhaps that's why I didn't find the story, which takes place in the Soviet Union, to be crazy in its ideology at all, or because I just was watching the movie and not trying to do a Zizek analysis.

Harrison

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on February 1, 2013

Do your other interests include poking your eyes out with forks?

flaneur

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on February 1, 2013

Silkwood on the tele, about Karen Silkwood, the union activist who was first poisoned and then found dead in suspicious circumstances, having been a whistleblower on the unsafe conditions of the power plant where she worked.

batswill

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by batswill on February 1, 2013

Sten

sabot

fnbrill

Second this

Thirded.

Quadrupled.

jura

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by jura on February 1, 2013

You forgot to add it was a nuclear plant! (More precisely a "fuel fabrication site".)I first saw the film when I was about 11. It totally freaked me out. Great film.

smush

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by smush on February 4, 2013

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol - oh my Kropotkin, it's so bad. But I had to watch something to get me through the flu.

flaneur

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on February 6, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty. Politics aside, it's a decent film, albeit far too plodding and melodramatic. The siege is impressive though, something on the scale of the Heat bank robbing scene.

Slavoj Zizek's done a good article suggesting the film's neutrality on events is just as bad as supporting them. http://www.egs.edu/faculty/slavoj-zizek/articles/zero-dark-thirty-hollywoods-gift-to-american-power/

Ethos

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on February 16, 2013

I watched Unthinkable the other night. An American citizen converts to Islam (Michael Sheen) and decides to plant nuclear bombs in cities in response to U.S. foreign policy. Samuel Jackson plays a contractor/interrogator and Carrie-Anne Moss plays an FBI agent.

I've only ever liked Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction, but his performance in this one was so good that it will definitely make it into my (very short) Sam Jackson movies to watch list. The film also has very light undertones regarding the implications of consequentialist ethics and how an agent that understands his/her role within this framework would behave.

flaneur

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by flaneur on February 20, 2013

fleurnoire-et-rouge

Skyfall.
I don't actually expect much from a Bond movie, they're not Bunuel, Fellini, they're not going to provoke many interesting thoughts or send me away enlightened in any way, but I do expect fast cars and exotic locations. With Skyfall I got the London Underground and Scotland. No disrespect to Scotland, but no-one's going to emerge seductively out of Loch Lomond in a swimsuit. Bond seemed to be having the mother of all mid-life crises and where it was nice to see the Aston Martin again, he did have the look of a man who would have probably preferred a Volvo.
I suspect that I might have enjoyed it more if I had gone for a couple of beers first.

I don't think beers would have helped, this was pony. He's about as cynical and brooding as a pack of Maltesers. The next Bond film had better have him writhing about in his sick, calling his ex-girlfriend who won't pick up and crying in the mirror. Otherwise fuck off and don't bother.

wojtek

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on February 20, 2013

Ethos

I watched Unthinkable the other night. An American citizen converts to Islam (Michael Sheen) and decides to plant nuclear bombs in cities in response to U.S. foreign policy. Samuel Jackson plays a contractor/interrogator and Carrie-Anne Moss plays an FBI agent.

I've only ever liked Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction, but his performance in this one was so good that it will definitely make it into my (very short) Sam Jackson movies to watch list. The film also has very light undertones regarding the implications of consequentialist ethics and how an agent that understands his/her role within this framework would behave.

I'd have let Jackson torture the shit out of Sheen's kids. There's a rather ironic line in there about the US being better since democracy/Jackson would go on trial afterwards.

GonzoCantDie

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by GonzoCantDie on February 21, 2013

Can Dialectics Break Bricks?, a film about class struggle of the proletariat against state-capitalist bureaucracy done via kung-fu cinema. It was made by the French underground group the Situationists in 1972. I highly recommend it for its revolutionary content, unique delivery, and humour.

It mentions many libertarian socialist thinkers and revolutionaries.

Sten

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Sten on February 23, 2013

The Working Class Goes to Heaven (La classe operaia va in paradiso).
A disciplined, Stakhanovite worker, after losing a finger in a factory accident, becomes aware of his alienated condition and starts supporting direct action.

Critical of both the unions (who are preoccupied only with maintaining the status quo and winning small 'victories') and the radical students (lost in their fetishism of abstract theory).

Ethos

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on February 24, 2013

wojtek

I'd have let Jackson torture the shit out of Sheen's kids. There's a rather ironic line in there about the US being better since democracy/Jackson would go on trial afterwards.

Schadenfreude!

SPOILERS:

I liked how that scene illuminated the shit morality the other characters had: Torture one guy? Sure. Slit his wife's throat? Pfft, go for it. Torture his kids? What kind of monster are you?!

petey

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by petey on February 24, 2013

argo
it didn't "take me back" but alan arkin is worth watching in anything.

GonzoCantDie

11 years 2 months ago

Submitted by GonzoCantDie on February 26, 2013

Sten

A disciplined, Stakhanovite worker, after losing a finger in a factory accident, becomes aware of his alienated condition and starts supporting direct action.

Reminds me a bit of my friend Chris. Then again he was like that before he lost his pinkie.

Loses his finger to the machine, boss calls asking him to come back into work on the day of surgery.

batswill

11 years 1 month ago

Submitted by batswill on March 1, 2013

Looper. What actually is this genre called 'sci-fi'? I mean, fact is stranger than fiction, it would be more appropriate to name it ' sci-fact ' ? The propositions of any fiction are nothing more than a real factual desire for change, it is a psuedo-metaphor for revolution, a work of détournement..
HG Wells did this 100 years ago, then Butterfly Effect, Looper was still an interesting repeat of an age old meditation, that of cause and effect, moral obligations, the things that make us human, some dry wit mixed with a self-absorption in ones own identity.

batswill

11 years 1 month ago

Submitted by batswill on March 1, 2013

I downloaded '1492', Ridley Scott's historical masterpierce, I love the experience of discovery, of being surprised, and therefore savouring a sensual experience, like a peasant that first tastes caviar and champagné, or holding a high powered rifle, these things belong to heroes, which we are all capable of being, we need the will, but I have scars as my passport, these are experiences that cannot be,,,deleted,,,hah,, I told a Catholic priest who loved my spirit and wanted to make a priest out of me, in the 70's, but I enjoyed sandoz lsd and pink rock cocktails mainlined, I mixed with the rabble, they were my bothers and sisters, society had become so dreary,to go out into the ocean without any system was freedom or death, but it was noble atleast, and required no cleaning up, hah! This is Columbus's spirit, the nuance that Ridley Scott imparted to an interpretation of a much politicized cultural historical clash is always going to invite critiques of neo-colonialism,,, is that term almost obsolete?

Alasdair

11 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Alasdair on March 21, 2013

Just watched Rebellion in Patagonia. Really depressing film about the FORA being massacred in the 1920s. Think an Argentine Land and Freedom but with fewer trots, and no women, and where no one gets away.

Ethos

11 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Ethos on March 28, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty. Everyone (mostly the media) made such a big deal about it that I decided to pay the $1.75 to watch it. My liberal friends refuse to even go near it, so I don't know how the "general public" felt about this, but I think that if you have a soul you'll come out thinking that everyone who is anyone when it comes to U.S. foreign policy is a psychopath; people willing to do exactly what their enemy does, and then some, for "God and country" (that phrase is actually in the movie). In the end the rah-rah-rah, flag waving, quasi-fascist (or perhaps blatantly fascist) ideology ends up backfiring.

Soapy

11 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Soapy on March 28, 2013

Ethos

Zero Dark Thirty. Everyone (mostly the media) made such a big deal about it that I decided to pay the $1.75 to watch it. My liberal friends refuse to even go near it, so I don't know how the "general public" felt about this, but I think that if you have a soul you'll come out thinking that everyone who is anyone when it comes to U.S. foreign policy is a psychopath; people willing to do exactly what their enemy does, and then some, for "God and country" (that phrase is actually in the movie). In the end the rah-rah-rah, flag waving, quasi-fascist (or perhaps blatantly fascist) ideology ends up backfiring.

Maybe fitting then that this dude with downs syndrome was suffocated to death by pigs at one of the screenings. http://thepeoplesrecord.com/post/43367912794/police-murder-man-movie-theater-for-disobeying

Ethos

11 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Ethos on March 28, 2013

Soapy

Ethos

Maybe fitting then that this dude with downs syndrome was suffocated to death by pigs at one of the screenings. http://thepeoplesrecord.com/post/43367912794/police-murder-man-movie-theater-for-disobeying

I wish I could say I was surprised... Thanks for the link, though.

Agent of the I…

10 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on August 17, 2013

Just saw Compliance. Don't know what to make of it.

Agent of the I…

10 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on August 18, 2013

Ethos

Those are some cheap ass tickets.

Ethos

10 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on August 18, 2013

Agent of the Fifth International

Ethos

Those are some cheap ass tickets.

Redbox, baby. ;)

Agent of the I…

10 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on August 18, 2013

Its a rental service? I thought you went to the theaters.

Ethos

10 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Ethos on August 19, 2013

Agent of the Fifth International

Its a rental service? I thought you went to the theaters.

Yeah, it's a kiosk where you rent movies. I ain't paying $10+ to see some state propaganda. I get my state propaganda the ol' fashioned way: by getting it hammered into me at school.