Far right assassinate MP?

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 16 2016 16:56
Far right assassinate MP?

A man reportedly shouting 'Britain First' has shot and stabbed a Labour MP to death.

Fascist group Britain First recently held a training camp including knife-fighting, and have previously threatened to target elected officials.

wojtek
Jun 16 2016 17:33

Nobody knows atm

no1
Jun 16 2016 17:49

This is a youtube video of their training camp, and my impression is that pretty much all the participants are in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggMiFa9vPk
I don't think any of them look very much like Tommy Mair, the guy who killed the MP, though it's a bit difficult to tell. The only guy who looks a bit similar is at 0:12 and 0:24 in the youtube video.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 16 2016 17:55

I suspect it's more likely he's inspired by them than was one of the handful at the camp. Anti-fascists on social media have dug up a subscription to a white supremacist publication in the name of Tommy Mair, and someone said the name crops up in Searchlight.

Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jun 16 2016 17:58

yeah, seems too poorly-planned/spontaneous.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 16 2016 18:13

Fash are gloating about it

no1
Jun 16 2016 18:22
Craftwork wrote:
yeah, seems too poorly-planned/spontaneous.

He had a "home-made" gun and was waiting for her, so seems well planned to me. Also succeeded in killing her.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 16 2016 18:22
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 16 2016 18:32

Britain First have denied it. But certainly looks likely it was a far right activist who did it. Cox was a vocal Remain campaign supporter, and supporter of migrants including Irish Catholics and Pakistanis.

The Pigeon's picture
The Pigeon
Jun 16 2016 21:34

Looks like a reaction to the Daesh inspired stabbing of the French policeman, extremists on all sides, don't lose your cool

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 16 2016 22:49
SPLC wrote:
According to records obtained by the Southern Poverty Law Center Mair was a dedicated supporter of the National Alliance (NA), the once premier neo-Nazi organization in the United States, for decades. Mair purchased a manual from the NA in 1999 that included instructions on how to build a pistol.

Mair, who resides in what is described as a semi-detached house on the Fieldhead Estate in Birstall, sent just over $620 to the NA, according to invoices for goods purchased from National Vanguard Books, the NA’s printing imprint. Mair purchased subscriptions for periodicals published by the imprint and he bought works that instruct readers on the “Chemistry of Powder & Explosives,” “Incendiaries,” and a work called “Improvised Munitions Handbook." Under “Section III, No. 9” (page 125) of that handbook, there are detailed instructions for constructing a “Pipe Pistol For .38 Caliber Ammunition” from components that can be purchased from nearly any hardware store.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/16/alleged-killer-british-mp-was-longtime-supporter-neo-nazi-national-alliance

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 12:57

However much I hate pedantry I simply have to correct the following innaccuracy:

Quote:
A man reportedly shouting 'Britain First' has shot and stabbed a Labour MP to death

The report that Joseph is referring to claims the [edit: suspected] killer shouted "Britain first", not Britain First, although according to independent sources that I am not at liberty to disclose he in fact shouted, "Britain shirk".

No matter what his battle cry was, our thoughts and condolences must go out to the innocent victims of the troubles.

no1
Jun 17 2016 11:23

IMO this event says more about the political mainstream than Britain First or the wider far right.

Compare the reaction to when Lee Rigby was murdered. Both were apparently cases of lone wolf attacks where the perpetrators had mental health issues but also subscribed to terrorist ideologies, expressed in the course of the attack. With Lee Rigby, the ideology was immediately seen as causal, there was no prevarication, nobody mentioned their mental health, that they did the weekly shopping for their mum or liked to do gardening for the neighbours. But the attack was also portrayed as characteristic for the group they belonged to, eg. Theresa May saying there were "thousands" more Muslims being radicalised and surveillance of Muslims needed to be extended.

With Jo Cox, there is no emphasis on Tommy Mair's ideology, it's only mentioned together with his "history" of mental health problems, because his attack doesn't tell us anything about the group he belongs to but rather is in conflict and needs to be portrayed as an aberration. No-one is speculating on whether there could be loads of Northern white blokes quietly sympathising, no-one is worrying about internet radicalisation, no-one is demanding Farage and other Brexit leaders to condemn political violence.

I think it's ironic that 24 hours ago, the media story was all about how the Labour party has betrayed its natural constituency because supposedly it didn't pander sufficiently to white working class racism (which apparently the media think is characteristic of the "white working class" whose voice isn't heard), and couldn't the Labour party make some promises to crack down on immigrants, and couldn't there be some really quick negotiation with the EU 7 days before the referendum to abolish free movement etc etc. Then a racist white bloke murders a Labour MP, prominent campaigner for Remain and for Syrian refugees etc, but all of a sudden this act is no longer characteristic and can only be explained in relation to his mental health.

Coming less than a year after Cameron said the Labour party was a threat to national security, that the Labour candidate for London Mayor was a Muslim sharing platforms with ISIS etc. It comes a month after Farage saying the UK had lost complete control over immigration, and that violence was the next step if voting didn't help, and on the same day he revealed a poster of a flood immigrants destroying the UK. Etc etc.

No doubt it is these mainstream narratives that legitimise murderous violence and make it socially acceptable in the minds of fascist lone wolves.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 12:56
Quote:
With Jo Cox, there is no emphasis on Tommy Mair's ideology...

Certain sections of the British media immediately jumped upon the aparrently ideological motivation of the suspected killer, notably The Guardian. For example, this from yesterday's Guardian:

Quote:
Jayda Fransen, deputy leader of Britain First, said the party was “looking into the reports right now”. “We were extremely shocked to see these reports and we are keen to confirm them, because of course at the moment it is hearsay,” she said. “This has just been brought to our attention. This is absolutely not the kind of behaviour we would condone.”
Zeronowhere
Jun 17 2016 14:09

Honest intentions, it would seem.

Quote:
No-one is speculating on whether there could be loads of Northern white blokes quietly sympathising, no-one is worrying about internet radicalisation, no-one is demanding Farage and other Brexit leaders to condemn political violence.

In general, if they're mostly concerned about this killing for self-serving reasons, because the person killed 'is a politician,' they're unlikely to go after politicians that much due to this, which would undermine the esteem that it's given due to affecting 'politicians.'

In any case, their political associations have quite often been mentioned, but the left wing of capital had for a long time had a view of the 'far right' which is reduced to mere caricature, and hence there is little further that they can be expected to say past that.

Quote:
Britain First have denied it.

Generally speaking, a slogan can be distinguished from a political group, which has no monopoly on it. As such, their being explicitly associated with this organisation or not need not be relevant to their statement. In general, though, that organisation is presumably unable for reasons of expedience, etc., to express fervent opposition to people who were occupants and active members of the bourgeois state, and therefore it might well be limited.

no1
Jun 17 2016 14:41

Yes of course Tommy Mair's political affiliation has be mentioned but somewhat reluctantly (e.g. the Guardian unpublished the news about Mair shouting 'Britain First' until there were 3 witnesses saying this), and only in the context of his mental health problems which are offered as the main explanation.

Just saw that people have posted pics on Twitter of how the Daily Mail has portrayed the killers of Lee Rigby and of Jo Cox. Do you think there's a difference in emphasis?

Lee Rigby killer

Jo Cox killer

edit: can't seem to hotlink to Twitter images

no1
Jun 17 2016 14:44

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 14:52

Yes, I see your point.

Personally, I will not condemn the actions of these individuals. Whilst our States commit acts of terror, individuals are bound to mimic them.

The first individual is reacting to acts of state terrorism in Afghanistan, the second to acts of state terror committed in Syria.

no1
Jun 17 2016 14:52

While everything I've said so far has been about the media and politicians, I'm also happy to condemn fascist and islamist killers.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 14:57

And equally happy to condemn communists and anarchists that kill? I cannot make that claim myself.

no1
Jun 17 2016 15:02

Not sure what you're trying to say. If any communists or anarchists had killed Lee Rigby or Jo Cox I'd condemn them as bloody stupid because such acts could never help us achieve our goals, and would likely be used by our enemies to repress us to extinction. For Islamists and fascists such attacks are pretty useful for furthering their political objectives. But that's a tangent.

Gulai Polye
Jun 17 2016 16:38
Schmoopie wrote:
And equally happy to condemn communists and anarchists that kill? I cannot make that claim myself.

There are differences between group A fascist/nazist and group B communist/anarchist. One difference is when group A kills they do it to increase/consolidate exploitation and injustice. When group B kills they do it in response to exploitation and injustice, so that there will be less of it.

It also applies that if group As only activity is to go and kill people they dont like, then eventually, if they are not stopped, they will reach their goal. This does not apply to group B. For group B killing would be a very small share of all the combined activities. Killing in itself would never make group B be able to reach their goal.

For group A it also applies that only very rarely do you see other fascist/nazis condemn one of their own for killing a leftist or an immigrant.
For group B it doesnt take much before a kill will be condemned by others of the same group.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 17 2016 16:38

Nazi regalia discovered at house of suspect

Capsaicin
Jun 17 2016 20:05

It looks like Tommy Mair really was involved with Britain First

https://twitter.com/mrpaulduane/status/743884230053232640

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 20:24

Yes, no.1. You are right and I admit I am wrong.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 20:33

I still don't get why this event is being covered on this website. What does the murder of a British Member of Parliament have to do with furthering the aim of libertarian communism? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 17 2016 21:02
Schmoopie wrote:
I still don't get why this event is being covered on this website. What does the murder of a British Member of Parliament have to do with furthering the aim of libertarian communism? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

seriously, I know we have a no flaming rule, so I'm going to try to be polite. But your posts on this topic have been incredibly annoying, to say the least, and if you can't see the relevance of a discussion about a racist murdering someone for not being a racist then maybe you should just shut the hell up

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 21:09

It wasn't my intention Steven. You obviously know more about the shooters motives than I do so I'll take your advice and shut up on this subject, which I must say I find intensely boring.

petey
Jun 17 2016 21:22
no1 wrote:
Not sure what you're trying to say. If any communists or anarchists had killed Lee Rigby or Jo Cox I'd condemn them as bloody stupid because such acts could never help us achieve our goals, and would likely be used by our enemies to repress us to extinction.

and also because someone had their neck slashed open and died in ineffible pain and their children and spouses were left bereft and insane with grief.

Fleur
Jun 17 2016 22:16

Jesus fucking christ Schmoopie, this site is a veritable cornucopia of people saying stupid things sometimes but have the merit prize for the stupidest thing said in recent times, and you have a lot of stiff competition.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 17 2016 22:27

From you, Fleur, I take that as a complement. I know how sparing you are with such judgements.