Anti-Trump demonstrations in the US - write a report if you're attending

127 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jan 20 2017 13:12
Anti-Trump demonstrations in the US - write a report if you're attending

Some first-hand reports/pictures in the News section, or just general observations would be good.

Fleur
Jan 20 2017 14:36

This would be really good but can I just gently remind people not to post up pictures which can identify people. Ta smile

infektfm
Jan 20 2017 16:52

Don't know about posting photos but I'm gonna be attending a demo early this evening in Detroit

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jan 21 2017 16:02

Dockers in the ILWU are not dispatching to work the Port of Oakland today according to Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Indybay/status/822507310098497536

Unfortunately, facile declarations of victory (saying "The Port of Oakland is effectively shut down today") are misleading, as we saw during Occupy because one -- albeit crucial -- work sector doesn't shut down all work in the supply chain through the port. Troqueros don't stop going into and out of the terminals and rail yards picking up and dropping off containers, the workers at the latter continue to assemble/break down and send off/receive unit trains, maritime workers keep plying their trades, chandlers go in and out resupplying ships, and others, like "walking boss" foremen and management scabs, don't cease moving containers around the terminals and berths.

Despite all that, it's incredibly inspiring that this one work sector -- longshore workers in ILWU Local 10 -- with a militant heritage has done a de facto strike by refusing to be dispatched to work today. We can only hope that refusals of work like this can spread.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jan 21 2017 17:03

Although I didn't attend these events, in San Francisco today activismists held civil disobedience events purporting to "shut down" businesses by blocking their operations, but instead these set-pieces were really banal ritualized arrests scenarios at the following locations: across railroad tracks for the commuter Caltrain coming from Silicon Valley, in front of headquarters of Wells Fargo Bank, Uber headquarters, and the Israeli Consulate. Non-CD protests were also held at the new Zuckerberg wing of San Francisco General Hospital and at a high-rise in the Financial District that Trump has partial ownership of. Early in the morning, 3,000 demonstrators linked arms along the sidewalk of the entire Golden Gate Bridge. At least 300 kids walked out of San Francisco K-12 schools.

All this was billed as a "No Business As Usual" series of demonstrations. I must plead laziness, since I wasn't able to get up early enough -- in the rain -- to witness these acts of protest which self-congratulatorily and misleadingly labeled themselves as "direct action."

But hearing about them on a community radio station, I naively attempted to go downtown to see how long these blockades would endure. But by early afternoon, none had. They had finished their harmless spectacle for the consumption of the bourgeois news media, as that was the main objective anyway, and had gone elsewhere. By the end of Friday, a weekday, everything in the city was back to business as usual. The organizers violated the premise of truth in advertising.

I did attend the 5:00 p.m. rally and march organized by ANSWER in San Francisco's Civic Center, which began in the pouring rain. Yet as time wore on and more and more people arrived after work, it ended up being a spirited march of several thousand that was pretty fun -- and not unlike the march the day after the election, November 9, that I referred to before.

As far as these permitted marches go, they're pretty routine and predictable, yet it's always cool to go through working class neighborhoods -- like the heavily Latina/o Mission District -- and see families hanging from fire escapes cheering us on, with a few even coming off the sidewalk and joining in. It's also encouraging to hear militant slogans in Spanish. And these gatherings are always nice reunions to see old friends and comrades.

And since the rain let up for the march, it was also fun to go through the predominately gay Castro District and literally see people step off the curb and join us in response to the chant "Out of the bars and into the streets." The younger LGBTQ (sorry for missing the other initials) protestors bring a festive, vibrant energy to these otherwise ordinary processions.

Other, more militant events took place today in Oakland, right across the Bay. But I wasn't there, so I'll leave it to others to report back. They did involve some walkouts by elementary, middle, high school and college students, and wound down a short time ago (late in the evening) with the pigs kettling and arresting the last holdouts.

The most inspiring and only true form of direct action, albeit the passive act of withholding of their labor power, was the work stoppage by ILWU Local 10 mentioned in the previous post. Click for the Wall Street Journal article, where they detail how the PMA management requested 354 longshore workers, but only 35 dispatched out the hiring hall. Now that's impressive!

Here's the Journal of Commerce article (from behind a paywall) that explains how the dockers completely closed one out of four terminals:

JoC wrote:
ILWU's Trump protest shuts down Oakland terminal
Jan 20, 2017 2:57PM EST

Oakland International Container Terminal, the largest container facility at the Northern California port, was shut down Friday as longshoremen were protesting the inauguration of Donald Trump.

Oakland’s three other container terminals maintained yard and gate operations, though they were not working the vessel operations while the matter was being handled through the arbitration process. Job actions by International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 10 in Oakland have occurred sporadically over the years involving geopolitical events as well as labor-management issues as the Northern California local has a history of militant unionism.

James McKenna, president of the Pacific Maritime Association, confirmed Friday that only 35 longshoremen accepted positions for the Friday shift. That is about 10 percent of the labor requirements. The employer group immediately requested arbitration, and a ruling is expected later on Friday, McKenna said.

Port of Oakland spokesman Mike Zampa said the port’s other container terminals — TraPac, Everport and Matson — were open for yard and gate operations, but they were not working vessels.

A spokeswoman for the ILWU said Friday the headquarters staff was looking into the matter. Reportedly the job actions were being taken to protest the Trump inauguration, but none of the organizations could confirm that point.

The fact that the other three terminals were working the yards and gates but not the vessels could indicate that the skilled-category ship-to-shore crane operators did not accept those positions on Friday, but that could not be confirmed.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jan 22 2017 07:19

Just got back home from the Oakland Women's March. Probably the biggest demonstration I've ever been to in my life. At least a couple hundred thousand -- maybe more.

Was also one of the most inspiring protests in my life.

Anyone else check these things out?

EDIT: thanks for the suggestion Craftwork. I'm so exhausted now, but will do it tomorrow.

I went to the San Francisco march this evening and it was even bigger than Oakland. Despite constant rain, it must've been several hundred thousand (some sports team victory parades claimed 1 million along the same route; this was clearly much larger). The march went along Market Street, from City Hall to Justin Herman Plaza, for 1.9 miles and the whole street, from building-to-building on either side, was packed full of people. By the mere fact that women, of all ages, were in the majority, but along with so many kids and families, gave these events a sense of joy, and although the only real bond was being opposed to Trump, the raw numbers gave off a sense of power and hope. Also, all but a few of the signs were self-made and so many were clever and creative, even with a sense of poetry. It's hard to give words to how uplifting the marches today were.

Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jan 22 2017 03:12

Hieronymous, I would encourage you to write-up your reflections in article form.

Here's a new News article from Portland - https://libcom.org/news/j20-portland-report-comrade-22012017

mikail firtinaci's picture
mikail firtinaci
Jan 22 2017 05:23

I attended a demo organized by leftists yesterday. It was totally demoralizing. I remember the Occupy demonstrations and there was a clear sense of class identity&solidarity emerging inside the struggle. They were discussing politics and capitalism, struggle and revolution. On the other hand, yesterday there was nothing of that sort. Instead there was vague talks about emotions: sadness, despair and fear... and how to counter those emotions: joining a trotskyist or identity politics group, voting in the elections and forming united fronts and better parties than the democratic party. What is worse is that I was surprised by openly anti-Russian sentiments expressed even in such a leftist led demonstration. I even saw a Trump face pasted on a red flag with hammer&sickle which is insanely stupid.

In short; no lesson is drawn from the growing divergence between the white-rural/provincial-traditional workers and well educated/young//latino/black/women workers. On the contrary, the democratic party strategy to secure electoral successes imbuing the latter with a fear of the former and that way divide the proletarians further apart seems to be working spectacularly.

The strengthening ideological hegemony of democratic discourse is especially dangerous in terms of its international policy consequences. In the coming days this will strengthen the hand of the anti-Russian segments of the American state that will continue to pressure Trump to follow a more aggressive policy towards Russia. A left whose sole focus is on Trump's domestic politics can easily be made to accept a dangerous war mongering democratic militarist program combined with a superficially egalitarian discourse on gender&race equality.

I don't want to say that race & gender don't matter or that right wing racism/sexism is not dangerous. But I think democratic party solution on race&gender equality is just fake, because it is based on a contradictory emphasis on meritocratic competition. As far as I could observe, for the Democratic Party people equality is more about "equal chance" to compete for positions in the civil&military service or private sector. It is the ideology of those like Obama or Clinton who were from working class backgrounds, but who could get scholarships and go to prestigious colleges and then found good jobs. This is the ideology of those who could "get ahead" (as clinton like to say). These people can easily think that their successes in life are only natural consequences of their smartness or talents. This means automatically that if you fail, it is either because you are a privileged stupid white or an underprivileged minority of some sort...

This constant emphasis on "failure" as something caused by either being pitiful or stupid is and ultimately a personal matter is (in my view) even more dangerous than the alt-right or the KKK. You can beat the fascists, but you cannot force isolated individuals who who don't even trust themselves to trust others and to unite as a class in struggle.

zugzwang
Jan 22 2017 08:17
mikail firtinaci wrote:
I attended a demo organized by leftists yesterday. It was totally demoralizing. I remember the Occupy demonstrations and there was a clear sense of class identity&solidarity emerging inside the struggle. They were discussing politics and capitalism, struggle and revolution. On the other hand, yesterday there was nothing of that sort. Instead there was vague talks about emotions: sadness, despair and fear... and how to counter those emotions: joining a trotskyist or identity politics group, voting in the elections and forming united fronts and better parties than the democratic party. What is worse is that I was surprised by openly anti-Russian sentiments expressed even in such a leftist led demonstration. I even saw a Trump face pasted on a red flag with hammer&sickle which is insanely stupid.

Occupy was more a response to the 2008 crisis, no? It was only natural left-leaning people were questioning capitalism then, what with the immense inequality, unemployment, and bailouts for the rich, etc. Can't expect much from some random, class ignorant anti-Trump protest.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 22 2017 09:32

There was a march here in Paris, called mostly by feminist groups, I think Osez feminisme and NPA were the biggest names attached.
Papers give 2000 and 7000 as figures, hard to tell from the pictures. Few banners in French, mostly English, one actually said "not my president" in French.
The photos are all close up so I'm guessing there weren't too many people.

S. Artesian
Jan 22 2017 16:29

Went to the NYC demonstration, and I too think it was the largest demonstration I have witnessed in this century. The route was packed pretty solid from 56th and 5th all the way back to 42nd St and the East River.

I couldn't get anywhere near the UN Plaza, or Trump Tower, so I (fortunately) didn't hear any of the speeches.

There was little "ideology" expressed among the marchers-- everything to "protect civil rights" to "my uterus, my rules."

Look, if Hillary had won, clearly these marches might not have happened at all, and if they had, they would have been much smaller. That's not really an issue is it? That protest, discontent, emerges bearing all the signs, and scars, of a politic being made obsolete is more or less inherent in these movements, isn't it? Certainly, most of the marchers in yesterday's demonstrations had voted for, or who have been less unhappy with, Clinton, but so what?

I think Mikhail's remarks are interesting because I found OWS, at least here in NYC, pretty demoralizing-- and exhibiting all the "negatives" Mikhail found in yesterday's demonstrations.

Yesterday's march was anything but demoralizing. The spirit of the march and marchers was outstanding, public response was supportive, people looked great-- every color, every gender, every age-- some hilarious placards, and the fact that you could talk to people who really gave a rat's ass about what happens to others.

Take it for what it's worth, and don't make more of it than what it is. It was worth a lot, and it's no way near enough, or "developed" enough.

Better than sitting at home at telling people how the revolution needs to appeal to angry, disaffected Trump voters.

el psy congroo
Jan 23 2017 00:33

It's interesting you all participated. The lower "quality" seems predictable. The anarchists in my area participated as well. Considering any serious critique of democracy and fascism/anti-fascism aren't these sorts of things a waste? I understand the anger but it all seems immature and cathartic. Their must be better ways for individuals and groups to spend their resources and time.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jan 23 2017 00:46
Quote:
Considering any serious critique of democracy and fascism/anti-fascism aren't these sorts of things a waste? I understand the anger but it all seems immature and cathartic. Their must be better ways for individuals and groups to spend their resources and time.

I get where you are coming from and I used to think the same. But surely, it is important for anarchist to participate in these things if not for other reasons than coming into contact with people that things are fucked up and need to change, but usually will think that getting the another party of capital elected is the solution. During times or events like that, people are simply more receptive to our critiques; the same thing happened during Occupy.

I mean, there is this tendency among anarchists to wait for the perfect time or perfect social movement. That will never happen. And yeah, we have to engage with annoying libruhls.

Quote:
Their must be better ways for individuals and groups to spend their resources and time.

Sure, but what is that? It's not like what we're doing is always a better expenditure of resources and time, given that, you know, we often manage fuck all but some small victories in individual workplaces. Not saying that what we are doing shouldn't be done, but that we need to be receptive to both work with people not of "our kind" and be willing to try out other shit.

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Jan 23 2017 01:24

The rally in Indianapolis was one of the largest I've seen in my time here. I haven't read reports on crowd estimation but having been at both, it definitely compared favorably to the Right to Work protests a few years back. IIRC those were right around 10,000. There doesn't seem to be an inherently radical element at the moment, but it sure as hell is better to see people going out together rather than bitching about how terrible things are on social media.

S. Artesian
Jan 23 2017 03:57

Why would you not go? A mass demonstration where there's every opportunity in the world to talk to people, to find out what is motivating them, to listen, and to explain what you think is going on?

I think an attitude that says, "oh this is "uninformed" "undeveloped" liberalism" cedes the entire field to the Gloria Steinem types.

I wouldn't recommend a Marxist (the"stream" I identify with) organization participating in a coalition to organize these demonstrations given the organizations' kowtowing to the Democratic Party, but to not even attend, and see if there is significant rejection of the current government?

What's next? We tell workers on strike: "Get back to us after you form soviets"???

mikail firtinaci
Jan 23 2017 03:24

The problem here is not whether radicals should attend or not attend these anti-trump demonstrations. The problem is turning a blind eye to the emerging nationalist undertone in these anti-Trump actions.

The anti-communist, anti-russian placards (even though they were few) were present in almost all these actions. I find radical left's silent tolerance of openly expressed Russo-phobia more troubling than a women-hating American president. This anti-russian cold-war style militarism is not mere ignorance or stupidity. This is the official line that the CIA and mainstream American media is pushing consistently almost every day. In order to comprehend the severity of the situation, we must just remind ourselves that the US/NATO and Russia confronted each other dangerously twice in the last 10 years:

1- 2008 Russia occupied Georgia in reaction to the NATO expansion
2- 2014 Russia occupied Crimea in reaction to the NATO led coup d'etat which mobilized extreme right Bandera types as its foot soldiers.

Russian, Chinese and American imperialisms are clashing dangerously around Asia and Europe while hard line nationalist governments are forming almost everywhere in the world, signaling a move towards further conflicts. A war between these powers simply means a nuclear annihilation for humanity. That's why I find the political weakness and immaturity of these demonstrations extremely dangerous.

S. Artesian
Jan 23 2017 03:59

I haven't been silent in the least about the nationalist crap used by the Democrats, and Republicans. While it is certainly the ploy of the Democrats, it is not the motivating force of these demonstrations.

Exactly what "nationalist tone" was emerging in the demonstrations held yesterday? None of the demonstrators I talked to thought "Russia stole the election." Nobody I spoke with brought up the "findings" of the "intelligence" agencies. Those I spoke with were concerned with the attack on healthcare; on the Trump's statement that women receiving an abortion should face prosecution; with the threats against immigrants. They were opposed to the voter suppression actions taken over the past 8-12 years.

Those are not bad places to start.

I don't doubt that the Democrats would love to channel the movement into a "safe" "national" path. The issue isn't turning a blind eye. The issue is how we oppose that attempt to channel the resistance.

No "movement" has even formed yet; there is no attempt to impose any list of demands at this point. You can bring any placard and be part of any group and march or not march as you desire.

I don't know how else to organize a movement against capitalism except by integrating into a systematic critique, the actions and views of those who are expressing an opposition to what they think are only episodic, "sectoral" inequities, as opposed to intrinsic structural mechanisms of exploitation and oppression.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jan 23 2017 04:14
mikail firtinaci wrote:
The problem here is not whether radicals should attend or not attend these anti-trump demonstrations. The problem is turning a blind eye to the emerging nationalist undertone in these anti-Trump actions.

My city has a significant Russian immigrant population and I saw some of these people at the marches with signs in Cyrillic. In previous conversations with my neighbors, they are terrified by Putin's ruthlessness and make it clear it's why they come to the U.S. This is widely know around these parts and most of the signs I saw equated Trump with Putin.

At the marches I went to there were also a couple signs with Trump being equated to a hammer and sickle symbol. When engaged, these people were simply foolish liberals who supported the PC laundry list of issues: immigrant rights, sanctuary cities, pro-choice, anti-war/anti-nuke, clean energy, etc. Hardly cold warriors.

mikail firtinaci could you please give more details and examples of this nationalism you've seen? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed you live in Turkey. Am I wrong? If so, where did you attend a Women's March?

mikail firtinaci
Jan 23 2017 05:20
Hieronymous wrote:
mikail firtinaci could you please give more details and examples of this nationalism you've seen?

I saw similar things that you wrote and honestly I did not want to start a conversation with the people I saw carrying Russophobe images or signs. I had some unpleasant discussions with democrats before the elections on American foreign policy. In the last talk I had with a democrat (a uni. prof. I know ) I told him that NATO expansion policy was aggressive and that it supports fascists in Ukraine. In response he scolded me saying that the US was supporting democracy and even suggested covertly that I must be ignorant on such topics since "my country" is such a backward shit hole of dictatorship - the last part is kind of true, but...

I am not saying that these people with stupid anti-Russia sentiments are determined fascists aiming to divert the movement towards militarism. I agree that they are most likely naive centrists/liberals/democrats. Isn't that worse though? Doesn't it mean that more and more people are buying into this shit? Because -as far as I could observe- these demonstrations express an ideological confusion, a dangerous misconception about the nature of the enemy. Just think about the months long propaganda by the media and a significant section of the American military-industrial complex against Trump's declared foreign policy agenda. It is clear as day that hard line anti-Russian factions of the state don't want to let Trump to step in and meddle with their affairs. They had a free reign under Obama and Clinton was their choice of hawk for sure. Without the recent & massive bourgeois media campaign to delegitimize Trump, I seriously doubt that such big demonstrations could take place.

Anyway, we will see in the coming few years if this anger is a genuine expression of working-class mobilization w/o clearly defined slogans, or... something else...

PS: American bourgeoisie has a general tendency to discuss politics in racial terms. Russophobia also has a long history in the US and cold-war militarist discourse was not only anti-communist but also anti-russian. Many official cold war ideologues claimed that there was something essential in Russia that produced authoritarian regimes there. Those that liked to pose as lefties argued that Russia's "asiatic roots", "crudeness", "lack of a freedom loving spirit" etc. made it naturally inclined towards expansionism, statism, "communism" and so on. That is why Putin and the contemporary Russian government is generally perceived in continuity with the Soviet regime. Such deep racist ignorance about the world is a genetic trait of the American ruling class.

zugzwang
Jan 23 2017 05:18
mikail firtinaci wrote:
The anti-communist, anti-russian placards (even though they were few) were present in almost all these actions. I find radical left's silent tolerance of openly expressed Russo-phobia more troubling than a women-hating American president. This anti-russian cold-war style militarism is not mere ignorance or stupidity. This is the official line that the CIA and mainstream American media is pushing consistently almost every day.

This has been around since forever though, with the Red Scares and whatnot, hasn't it? An organized working class amid the 1930's depression was part of the reason FDR's New Deal got pushed, taking on a "trickle-up" approach (i.e. throwing money at the mass of people): creating federal jobs, social security, taxing the rich, etc. Socialist and communist parties as well as other anti-capitalist organizations/people were gradually chipped away at and demonized. I think this video speaks volumes about the kinds of attitudes people hold toward anything not embracing capitalism and bourgeois democracy. It's something that's deeply embedded in the American mind, as evidenced by the placards you mentioned. You can't even talk about non-capitalist politics in the US, where libertarian means laissez-faire capitalism, communism means authoritarianism, and socialism is a welfare state. This is something that needs to be overcome, as well as all the nationalist and patriotic crap, and especially this completely hypocritical Russian hacking thing.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jan 23 2017 05:29
mikail firtinaci wrote:
Hieronymous wrote:
mikail firtinaci could you please give more details and examples of this nationalism you've seen?

. . . I must be ignorant on such topics since "my country" is such a backward shit hole of dictatorship - the last part is kind of true, but...

I'm not asking what "your country" is, nor do I want to know exactly in which area your observations took place, but I sincerely want to know if this actually was in the U.S. -- and whether you are referring to the protests on inauguration day on Friday or the Women's Marches that happened yesterday.

Could you please clarify?

mikail firtinaci
Jan 23 2017 06:13

I didn't go to the Women's March, because usually in Turkey if men go to feminist demonstrations they are kicked out - so I was hesitant. Otherwise, I would definitely go and yes, this was in the US.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jan 23 2017 07:09
mikail firtinaci wrote:
I didn't go to the Women's March, because usually in Turkey if men go to feminist demonstrations they are kicked out - so I was hesitant. Otherwise, I would definitely go and yes, this was in the US.

Thanks for clarifying.

That's too bad, as the women I encountered saw these events being inclusive as one of their strengths. And the marches I attended consciously tried to blur gender binaries, which I personally see as one of their strengths.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 23 2017 09:57

Thanks for the reports from people that went.

I was unable to attend any of these, however it was quite inspiring checking instagram on the day of the women's marches. My friends on instagram are pretty much all non-activists, yet so many women were on the marches, and they all looked huge. I saw friends on marches in Los Angeles (750,000), New York (200,000), Park City, Utah (thousands), London (100,000+), Vancouver, DC (500,000), Tucson, Toronto and some more I've forgotten.

I've never seen anything like it.

So I think it's very promising sign, however there is a big danger that many people may now feel they have done their bit, taken part in a big spectacle and now they can go home.

I think why it is worth us participating in events like this to a large extent is to talk to people and argue that just marching isn't enough: we need to go home and organise and prepare to use direct action over the coming months and years.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jan 23 2017 09:59

read somewhere on facebook about a turnout of 2000 in Fairbanks/Alaska despite -30 Celsius

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 23 2017 10:29

Hieronymus wrote a great blog entry here: http://libcom.org/blog/bay-area-bigly-tells-trump-get-your-small-hands-my-pussy-22012017

S. Artesian
Jan 23 2017 13:54
Quote:
Without the recent & massive bourgeois media campaign to delegitimize Trump, I seriously doubt that such big demonstrations could take place.

Simply not true; and a real distortion of the process. First, demonstrations began before the election. Secondly there were widespread demonstrations immediately after the elections and before the "hack" issue received "official" government endorsement. Thirdly the issues that motivated people to attend had, and have, absolutely nothing to do with the "Russian connection." Those issues are women's access to abortion; protection of women from physical abuse; protection of immigrants; anti voter-suppression; opposition to a government of billionaires; opposition to the racism, xenophobia, and the general reaction embodied in the support for Trump; maintenance of some sort of social welfare programs.

mikail firtinaci
Jan 23 2017 14:13
S. Artesian wrote:
absolutely nothing to do with the "Russian connection."

Once again; I am not arguing that people are motivated by that. I am saying that the bureaucracy, political elites and their class, the bourgeoisie is (partially) motivated by that. And the American media was totally anti-Trump from the beginning, I mean that is as far as I could observe.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jan 29 2017 14:34
mikail firtinaci wrote:
And the American media was totally anti-Trump from the beginning, I mean that is as far as I could observe.

Your observations could be qualified as "alternative facts." Fox News and nationally syndicated AM talk radio anti-Trump? This seems to conflict with what most of us observe.

My experience at the Women's Day marches was nearly identical to what Artesian describes above. I didn't see a single reference to Russia among hundreds of thousands of signs. In addition, there were many calls for defending ACA (Obamacare) and expanding health care to all.

While I saw a couple signs equating Trump with hammers and sickles at the inauguration day protests, these were vastly outnumbered by ones likening Trump to Putin. Since these demos were organized by sectarian leftists, who tactfully avoided geopolitics in their speeches, their politics largely support Syria's Assad regime against Yankee imperialism, which in turn means endorsing his Russian backers. At least this was the position of their party's papers that they were schlepping at the protests.

These events were obviously different across a country as vast as the U.S., but mikail your observations are in diametrical contradiction to what I saw and experienced. Which is fair enough, but it shows we can't make generalizations about the whole country.

S. Artesian
Jan 23 2017 14:56

Mikail,

You said that the demonstrations would not have taken place, or been of significant size without the "recent and massive media campaign to delegitimize Trump"-- that's just nonsense; complete and utter nonsense. That claim is straight out of the Kellyanne Conway playbook. Reporting on Trump's conflict of interests, his selection of billionaires, his past business failures, bankruptcies; the fraudulence of Trump university, etc. etc. ad infinitum is hardly recent.

Your concern seems to be, and be solely, the anti-Russian element that appears so important to the wing of the bourgeoisie that finds the "Atlantic Alliance" essential. And again, so what?

No one in these demonstrations is arguing "Support the CIA" "Support the NSA in its Attempt to Expose the Trump-Putin Axis."

That "element" was, and is, absolutely minimal in the formation, development, and expression of these protests.

Once again, you fail to deal with the substantive issues driving the protests, and seem to be hiding behind your notion that these protests are the creation of the Cold War section of the bourgeoisie.

I see an emerging class struggle which cannot help expressing the "liberal" elements that must be overcome and discarded to achieve real strength. I don't know how you overcome that limitation, except by engaging it with the people in the struggle.

If in Turkey, massive demonstrations develop against Erdogan's repressive policies and there's an element in that opposition that objects to Erdogan's rapprochement with Putin, do you "quarantine" yourself against the entire movement because of that element?

Good luck with that.

mikail firtinaci
Jan 23 2017 15:10

I have seen previous anti-Trump demos (yes in the US), and anti-Russianism was something new that I have never seen in these demonstrations before. It struck my eye and I think it is serious.

Generally speaking I find anti-Trump demonstrations demoralizing and the last one I saw cemented this feeling. And I have to confess that this prevalent mood of demoralization seems bizarre and childish to me. An american president is typically responsible to direct and manage the most destructive machine of mass-annihilation in the world. Can and should one ever expect a gentle dictator? Obama was not and still leftists cried for him. Sorry, but this is so incomprehensible.