Egyptian uprising - updates and discussion

Egyptian uprising - updates and discussion

Live updates and discussion from the Egyptian uprising which began on 25 January 2011.

From the Egyptian Chronicles blog...

http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/01/jan25-is-getting-serious.html

Quote:
The January 25th protest is getting serious attention more and more. More Facebook pages and groups are calling for the #25 Jan and more political groups are going to participate in the huge event "They are about 17 groups".Many are praying that it be the start of a new thing in Egypt. Now if you are interested in following the protest on twitter to know its updates then follow this hash tag (#Jan25)

Surprisingly “Salafist movement for reform” aka “HAFS” has announced that it will participate in the event , this is the first time a Salafist movement participates in something like this considering the Salafist believes and teachings. I have my fear and my suspicion which I will keep it to myself. I know that this particular movement  has its political believes still ....

The Mahalla workers will participate too , you may remember how they made their own day on the 6th April from couple of years ago.

Another huge surprise or even change in this protest is its location in Cairo and Giza, it is no longer Down town or Nile corniche but rather at the famous Gamaat Al Doul street in Mohendessin , the heart of the middle class in Giza !! The other places are : Cairo university in Giza , Dawaran Shubra and Dawaran Al Mataria in Cairo.

The NDP will participate too , of course in pro-regime protests of love …etc. May be this will be a showdown between the regime and the opposition , the real opposition in Egypt on who has got the word in the street. There are rumors that the MOI will launch its thugs to create chaos and violence , all what I know for sure is  that the police will not enjoy their holiday because they will have to work.  Personally I think the regime will let that day pass peacefully in order not to push the people in to another degree of anger , the world is now watching the Arab countries post-Tunisian revolution in an anticipation.

The Egyptians in London are going to protest next Sunday January 23, 2011 at 1 PM in front of the Egyptian embassy in London , if you are there and interested in joining them then here is the Egyptian embassy address : 26 South Street, Westminster, London W1K 1DW. There will be also insh Allah a protest in Bologna , Italy. It will be held on the 23rd of January at 12 PM at Piazza del Nettuno. Also on Sunday there will be a protest held at 1 PM  in front of the Egyptian mission to the UN HQ in New York at at 304 East 44th Street.  Now it will not be the last capital in the world that will witness a protest in front of the Egyptian embassy or mission on that coming Sunday because there will be a protest in our embassy in Madrid at 1 PM too.

Our  great Tunisian brothers are going to protest in solidarity with the Egyptian people in front of the Egyptian embassy next January 25, 2011. Also our dear Jordanian brothers are going to protest inn front of the Egyptian embassy next January 25 ,2011. Our brothers in Yemen sent a solidarity email to the admin of “We are all Khaled Said” page.

Just like El General in Tunisia the Egyptian rap singers and bands are making songs for the #Jan25 just  like this one by rapper Ahmed Rock.There are lots of video clips on YouTube made by activists to encourage the people to participate in the protest of #Jan25.

Posted By

Mark.
Jan 23 2011 13:13

Attached files

Comments

Mike Harman
Jan 28 2011 15:52

Police are at the door of the Al Jazeera office in Cairo about to shut it down while they're doing the live coverage - see link in previous comment.

Entdinglichung
Jan 28 2011 15:55

according to http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,742179,00.html the cops aren't able to stop the demonstration to reach the central Tahrir Square in Cairo

Mike Harman
Jan 28 2011 16:11

Al Jazeera coverage now has two different police trucks turned over and on fire near the edge of the bridge, looks like people may push it over the edge.

Also saw tanks and trucks driving through the streets, maybe 20 or so (camera kept being moved around while this was happening 'cos they were trying to keep it out of the way of any police spotters), but they don't appear to have stopped anywhere near where the filming is, except the one that's turned over, although not sure which are police and which are military.

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 16:24

from Guardian stream

Quote:
4.00pm: The curfew is in place, but the protests continue. Live footage from Cairo shows protesters trying to push a police van into the Nile.

3.56pm: Murabak ordered the military onto the streets, according to al-Jazeera, citing state media.

3.55pm: Mubarak is due to address the nation in the next few minutes. Al-Jazeera's offices in Cairo are being raided by police. They are being told to stop broadcasting images of the unrest

It must be Friday. The president is due to address the nation. It's deja vue all over again...

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 16:29
Quote:
4.23pm: TV pictures show the headquarters of the ruling NDP in Cairo are on fire.

4.22pm: Army tanks are rolling into the centre of Cairo and Suez, al-Jazeera reports. Mubarak has supposedly ordered them in to restore order but people have been cheering the army hoping it will side with them against the police.

and once again we teeter in the balance

Jason Cortez
Jan 28 2011 16:34

Al Jareeza reporting at least 20 tanks enter Suez and the NDP headquaters confirmed as on fire, not the main building at present. Lots of sounds of explosions and gunshots in the background

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 16:47
Quote:
4.45pm: A downtown police station in Cairo, police cars and gas tanks outside the police station are on fire, which could account for the number of loud explosions being heard, al-Jazeera reports.

It's that M&M moment again. Mutiny or Massacre? What's it to be?

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 16:53

Meanwhile, in the idiot's corner...

BBC

Quote:
1638: German Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg expresses concern about the risk of "infectious momentum" of unrest in the Middle East, during a meeting at the World Economic Forum .

"Wir müssen ordnung haben". Scumbag.

Valeriano Orobó...
Jan 28 2011 17:13

One thing: if Suez it's more or less seized by the insurgents, the bastards have to be freaking out about the canal's safety, ain't it?

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 17:26

on the canal issue:
BBC

Quote:
1715: Shipping officials say Suez Canal is running smoothly despite violent protests there, Reuters reports.
ocelot
Jan 28 2011 17:33

Al Jazeera liveblog

Quote:
7:15 pm - The military has now arrived in Alexandria, though Rawya Rageh reports that they aren't confronting the protesters there with violence. In fact, she says, they are giving them the thumbs up.

Liking that.

edit:
BBC

Quote:
1724: BBC Arabic correspondent Khaled Ezzelarab in Cairo reports: "Despite the curfew, demonstrators are surrounding the building of Egyptian radio and TV and trying to break into it. The building is guarded by armed forces, and the demonstrators are cheering for the army, while the latter is not getting into confrontations with the people."
no1
Jan 28 2011 17:39

Does that mean it's a mutiny? Or have they been told to stand down - as apparently the Tunisian military were told?
Also, Mubarak is taking an awful long time to make that speech - maybe it's being rewritten since nobody is observing the curfew.

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 17:44

Well it doesn't look like it's going to be a massacre, which was the big worry. Hopefully it stays that way. As for the rest, I guess we'll see soon enough.

News from Port Said
Guardian

Quote:
5.34pm: A member of ElBaradei's group told al-Jazeera there are 80,000 people protesting in Port Said, where she said a 14-year-old had been killed.
Valeriano Orobó...
Jan 28 2011 17:44
no1 wrote:
Does that mean it's a mutiny? Or have they been told to stand down - as apparently the Tunisian military were told?

That's what i was asking myself right now. Probably a combination of both. Let's hope the people can push the military on their side.

xslavearcx
Jan 28 2011 17:45

wheres the muslim brotherhood in all this? BBC says very little involvement beyond that they endorse what is happening. is that true?

Martin O Neill
Jan 28 2011 17:54

Are people conscripted into the Egyptian Army?

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 17:54

Re the MB. I could be completely off-whack here, but my impression is, despite the big bad boogyman status given then in the imagination of the Western media, they're just not big enough to really dominate anything on this scale.

some more from the beeb, including news from Sheik Zuweid at last:

Quote:
1749: AP reporter Ashraf Sweilim reports that some Bedouins in Sinai are besieging the Sheikh Zoueid police station, demanding members of the security forces inside to surrender.

1746: The BBC's security correspondent Frank Gardner says: "Every minute that goes by without the president making that address to the nation makes him look weaker, and will convince people he is losing his grip."

1743: Middle East analyst Roger Hardy writes on the BBC News website:"If the Egyptian unrest turns into an Egyptian revolution, the implications for the Arab world - and for Western policy in the Middle East - will be immense. Egypt matters, in a way that tiny Tunisia - key catalyst that it has been in the current wave of protest - does not. It matters because its destiny affects, in a range of ways, not only Arab interests but Israeli, Iranian and Western interests, too."

1741: Medical sources tell Reuters 410 people injured in Cairo protests during the day, some with bullet wounds

ocelot
Jan 28 2011 17:58
Martin O Neill wrote:

Yes. A not inconsiderable factor.

edit:
Guardian

Quote:
5.49pm: The latest from Alexandria from Peter Bouckaert, of Human Rights Watch:

The army has deployed in Alexandria but atmosphere is calm. Soldiers are talking to protestors. Confirmed that Alexandria governorate and many police stations burned down.

no1
Jan 28 2011 17:56
ocelot wrote:
Well it doesn't look like it's going to be a massacre, which was the big worry. Hopefully it stays that way. As for the rest, I guess we'll see soon enough.

Yes absolutely. The thing is, if the army are functional but have decided not to carry out a bloodbath, then we're probably looking at the next gang of scumbags taking over, like they tried in Tunisia. But if it's a mutiny and army command have lost control, then we're looking at a revolution in an 80 million country of enormous strategic importance.

Steven.
Jan 28 2011 18:01

There is some mention of them earlier on in the thread. Basically, they had no involvement at first. When it became clear how big it was, they said they endorsed it, but haven't had much influence. However, some of the media already has tried to paint them as being somehow responsible, raising the Islamist bogeyman

xslavearcx
Jan 28 2011 18:08

Yeah, it certainly wont surprise me if the media starts making those kinda noises..

Interesting to see tony blair talking about how these forces of change ought to be "managed" to have a 'good' outcome.

Khawaga
Jan 28 2011 18:48
Quote:

Yes. Most people have to do 3 years of service in either the police or military. The riot cops are conscripts; urban poor and peasants from all over Egypt. Fraternizing with the conscripts is extremely important (which I believe happened in Suez).

joselito
Jan 28 2011 18:51
Steven. wrote:
When it became clear how big it was, they said they endorsed it, but haven't had much influence. However, some of the media already has tried to paint them as being somehow responsible, raising the Islamist bogeyman

Tthe muslim brotherhood is the great foil in politics throughout the mid east and north africa, an enemy when in need, a friend when in need. The MB in Egypt now does not involve itself in any type of violent demos, but tries to be very respectable. Mubarek will very quickly have to start making concessions to contain this and I wouldn't be surprised if the MB would become a recipient, or at least looked to to help bring it under control. My sense is that islamicist politics of this sort has run its course though.

Khawaga
Jan 28 2011 18:54

The Muslim Brotherhood is the best organized and largest political group in Egypt apart from the Army and the NDP. It is likely that they will have much more say in a post-Mubarak/ non-Army govt.

Leo
Jan 28 2011 19:06

So what is the situation like in Mahalla? Has there been any strikes?

Khawaga
Jan 28 2011 19:25
Quote:
unconfirmed reports that police r taking off their uniforms and joining the PEOPLE !!!!!

I just got this on my Facebook live feed. And that the Army is firing on the police.

Khawaga
Jan 28 2011 19:26
Quote:
Updated 1:30 p.m. ET

An Associated Press reporter said that amid the clashes, there were reports of policemen removing uniforms and joining the protesters, with crowds eagerly cheering on those that joined them.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/01/military-presence-in-cairo-amid-growing-protests.html

Beltov
Jan 28 2011 19:34

Some commentator on AJ said the soldiers on the streets in Cairo are from the Presidential army, not the regular army. May be more loyal?

Jason Cortez
Jan 28 2011 20:21

More than 800 wounded in Cairo, some with bullet wounds.
The offices of the ruling NDP in Cairo and several other cities in Egypt set on fire or attacked.
Thousands of protesters try to storm foreign ministry, state TV building in Cairo.
Military deployed in Egyptian cities.
Presidental Guard unit deployed in cairo
Al Jazeera

Jason Cortez
Jan 28 2011 20:24

around a dozen police vans near ndp headquaters set on fire