DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

General US prison revolt and struggle thread

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
R Totale's picture
R Totale
Jul 27 2020 16:22

As an update on Rashid's situation above, there's now some positive news to report:

Quote:
During May, I was targeted twice in less than 24 hours with two, staged cell searches by guards here at Pendleton Correctional Facility (PCF), where my property was ransacked and damaged, and my state-issued tablet was broken (which I'd have to pay $260 to replace).

Then on July 15 and 18, I was subjected to another round of this harassment. During this second round, I and my neighbor Mark Patterson, who'd spoken up on my behalf about the prior harassment, were both shaken down, put on indefinite cell confinement, and denied our commissary orders which our cellblock received on July 15.

We were told this treatment would continue, which was prompted by my writing published articles exposing the failure of PCF officials to protect prisoners against the spread of Covid-19 at the prison.

I sent word out to my wife, Shupavu wa Kirima, about this July harassment, who initiated a mass call-in campaign against prison officials in response. As a result of the campaign, I and my neighbor were quietly taken off cell confinement and were both delivered our commissary orders.

Then on July 21, I was met with by the now warden of PCF, D. Reagle, who authorized the replacement of my tablet at no cost to me. Reagle admitted the matter was being addressed because of the torrent of call in complaints received from outside people. I was issued a new tablet two days later.

I'd like to extend my sincere thanks to the countless supporters, friends and comrades who took part in the call-in campaign and the following organizations who also took part: Afrofuturist Abolitionists of America; Anarkatas; Autonomous Brown Berets of Oklahoma; Black is Back-Health for the Revolution; IDOC Watch; Fight Toxic Prisons; For the People chapters of Baltimore, Boston, Twin Cities, Chicago, Philly, St Louis, and San Diego; Lucy Parsons Center; Quaker Insurrection; Marilyn Buck Brigade; Third World People's Alliance; People's Revolutionary Party of Long Beach; Roanoke People's Power Network; Upsetting the Upset and others.

Thanks to you all again for your solidarity and unity in this struggle on my behalf, and the testament to people's power that the results of your support have given.