North-South Korea beef

Submitted by wojtek on September 12, 2016

So it's escalating again, apparently because Kim Jong-il doesn't want to end up like Saddam or Gadaffi, with the South replying with K-pop then saying they could pre-emptively wipe out Pyongyang. What are your thoughts on how to settle this dispute?

wojtek

7 years 7 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by wojtek on September 12, 2016

I can post this now it's Chuseok lol
https://youtu.be/ghz__G_ylPk

Craftwork

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Craftwork on September 12, 2016

Resolve it over some Korean [barbecued] beef:

Craftwork

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Craftwork on September 12, 2016

Sorry, I had to make that joke.

Hieronymous

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Hieronymous on September 12, 2016

Also, in its marinated form, known as 불고기 (bulgogi)

petey

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by petey on September 12, 2016

Hieronymous

Also, in its marinated form, known as 불고기 (bulgogi)

delicious stuff. i've had it lots.

to address the OP: i've thought that the chances of KJI ending up like saddam or gaddafi are nil, nukes or no. any invasion would have to be done against chinese opposition so the US won't do it, and it's japan and SK that need to be worried and japan at least hasn't the ability to invade, so far as i know. whether the DPRK leadership really believes they're targets of the US, or if that talk is just a cover to whip up patriotism and fund and keep loyal an industrial sector whose happiness is necessary for the health of the state (as talk in the US about USSR attack used to be used) i have no idea.

jef costello

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on September 12, 2016

I would have thought the danger to KJI would be internal. No-one is going to invade as there's no reason to do so that would make up for all the damage that would be caused, NK might lie about it's capabilities but it's got enough artillery trained on Seoul to pulverise the city, as well as whatever nukes they can use, assumign that they can deliver them.
No clue about an internal rebellion, coup etc just don't have the information

jesuithitsquad

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jesuithitsquad on September 12, 2016

Interesting story by Max Fisher addressing some of the above...
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/world/asia/north-korea-nuclear-missile-programs-rational.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&referer=https://t.co/hfHxU0mRqY

proletarian.

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by proletarian. on September 16, 2016

As far as I'm aware the US still retains Operational Control of south Korean forces. South Korea only has control of it's own forces during peace time. Also, the North wouldn't destroy what they see as their own capital.

Hieronymous

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Hieronymous on September 16, 2016

proletarian.

As far as I'm aware the US still retains Operational Control of south Korean forces. South Korea only has control of it's own forces during peace time. Also, the North wouldn't destroy what they see as their own capital.

The first part is true, under the United States Forces Korea (USFK) where the Republic of Korea (the South) and the U.S. have a pact and agree to fight together if needed on the Korean Peninsula (with the nearly 30,000 U.S. troops stationed there). But since the Korean War never ended, there is no peace and this command is still in effect. The Korean War ceased with an armistice in 1953, but no peace treaty was ever signed so essentially they're still at war.

Korea has historically had many different capitals, depending on the dynasty. For instance Pyongyang, the current capital of the North, served the same role from 427-668 at the end of the Koguryo Dynasty (37 BCE-668 CE). Seoul became capital of the Chosun Dynasty in 1392 and it has served that purpose ever since (with North Korea returning their capital to Pyongyang when the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was formed in 1948).