University of Sussex occupied against cuts

106 students occupying the top floor of Bramber House, Sussex University
106 students occupying the top floor of Bramber House, Sussex University

Over 100 students have occupied a conference centre at the University of Sussex in Brighton against proposed course cuts and job losses.

Submitted by Nyif1968 on February 8, 2010

The occupiers released a statement:

We have occupied the top floor of Bramber House, University of Sussex, Brighton. There are 106 of us.

The decision to occupy has been taken after weeks of concerted campaigning during which the university management have repeatedly failed to take away the threat of compulsory redundancies and course cuts.

We recognise that an attack on education workers is an attack on us.

The room we have occupied is not a lecture theatre but a conference centre. As such, we are not disrupting the education of our fellow students; rather, we are disrupting a key part of management’s strategy to run the university as a profitable business.

They’re occupying everywhere in waves across California, New York, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Austria and elsewhere – and not only in the universities. We send greetings of solidarity and cheerful grins to all those occupation movements and everyone else fighting the pay cuts, cuts in services and jobs which will multiply everywhere as bosses and states try and pull out of the crisis.

But we are the crisis.

Profitability mean nothing against the livelihoods destroyed, lost homes, austerity measures, green or otherwise. We just heard we’ve increased ‘operational costs’ – they’d set out the building for a meeting and now they’ll have to do it again

We’ll show them “operational costs.”

Occupy again and again and again.

NO CUTS ANYWHERE.

THE UNIVERSITY IS A FACTORY. STRIKE. OCCUPY.

-All the occupiers of the 8th of February.

http://defendsussex.wordpress.com

Comments

Joseph Kay

14 years 2 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Joseph Kay on February 8, 2010

there's a demo at 12 noon tomorrow outside Bramber House. SolFed will be there, and our members working there are doing their best to get a good turnout from workers whose jobs are at risk...

Steven.

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 8, 2010

best of luck to them!

Tarwater

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Tarwater on February 9, 2010

Finally, a student communique written in a sensible style!

Joseph Kay

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on February 9, 2010

if it's written by who i think they occasionally post here

The Outlaw

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by The Outlaw on February 9, 2010

Solidarity, good luck.

Tarwater

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Tarwater on February 9, 2010

Upper middle class cunts said:
"THE UNIVERSITY IS A FACTORY."

At least I know what they're referencing.

Submitted by WorkersDreadnought on February 9, 2010

Tarwater

said:
"THE UNIVERSITY IS A FACTORY."

At least I know what they're referencing.

Innit, this is the best first message from a student occupation in this country that ive heard.

"Occupy again and again and again.

NO CUTS ANYWHERE.

THE UNIVERSITY IS A FACTORY. STRIKE. OCCUPY."

Schwarz

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Schwarz on February 9, 2010

Big ups from NYC!

no1

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by no1 on February 9, 2010

There'll be a demo to support the occupiers today:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=481899155226

Joseph Kay

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on February 9, 2010

At Sussex now, there's a demo in 20 mins to support the occupiers. It's student elections day so apparently the Trots have left the occupation to go electioneering, and I'm hearing the non-student Trots are pissed off that there was direct action during elections. Luckily there's a significant proportion of libertarian and independent students so the Trots electoral priorities haven't damaged the occupation, which is in good voice from a top floor balcony. Pics to follow later.

The Outlaw

14 years 2 months ago

I wish i could get down there and help you out, sorry.

Choccy

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on February 9, 2010

I'm sure your apologies will comfort the 106 occupiers.

"Present: 106 occupiers
Apologies: THE OUTLAW"

no1

14 years 2 months ago

There's a new statement that makes it clear the occupation is in solidarity with education workers - UCU are balloting for strike action:

On the 8th of February 2010 over one hundred Sussex students entered and occupied the corporate conference centre in Bramber House as a display of support and solidarity for the UCU’s upcoming strike ballot. Furthermore, we stand in solidarity with all other workers at Sussex taking action against the cuts.

In a rally held yesterday we raised over £250 towards the strike fund and urge all those who value the work of staff to contribute further.

We strongly oppose the cuts and lack of meaningful consultation that management has offered students and staff.

This action is only the beginning and it is part of the wider campaign against management’s cuts at Sussex. We intend to continue to bring the fight to management.

We acknowledge that Sussex is not the only university being affected by cuts to public spending and that this is not only a national phenomenon but is affecting public spending and education internationally. We would like to express our solidarity with everyone fighting cuts all over the world.

http://defendsussex.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/university-of-sussex-occupation-statement-9th-february-2010/

Choccy

14 years 2 months ago

I'll bring it up at the LEWG meeting this week how we can support Sussex.

no1

14 years 2 months ago

At a further demo tonight, the students came out of the occupation, to applause from everyone present. They made it clear that this was just the opening salvo and that there's much more to come.

The Outlaw

14 years 2 months ago

I hope i can get bitches at my college to do this, need to show them solidarity.

martinh

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by martinh on February 9, 2010

Well done to all involved, let's hope this sort of solidarity spreads

Martin

Choccy

14 years 2 months ago

What issue are you trying to get the students to take the risk of occupying their college over?
Have you got an issue and specific demands? If it's purely solidarity, while commendable, its unlikely to get support from your fellow students.

The Outlaw

14 years 2 months ago

courses are getting cut (mainly for adult learners) and staff are going to lose their jobs.

So it seems the same shit the Sussex comrades are occupying over are the same shit my college is facing.

Choccy

14 years 2 months ago

Have you spoken to staff about this?
Also, in the previous thread someone suggested reading about the Tower Hamlets stuff too, worth doing.

hang on is that the info you claimed to be privvy to but kept to yourself cos you want to be the REVOLUTION LEADER?

Jason Cortez

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Jason Cortez on February 9, 2010

We need to see a lot more of this and other stuff, if these cuts in education are to be resisted. Good start to Feb.

bootsy

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by bootsy on February 10, 2010

I hope i can get bitches at my college to do this, need to show them solidarity.

no comment

Choccy

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on February 10, 2010

to be fair i think he meant it as in 'wusses' rather than females

The Outlaw

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by The Outlaw on February 10, 2010

The revolution should have no leader.

Joseph Kay

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on February 10, 2010

The occupation ended after 28 hours:

Management

“An occupation by students of the Terrace Room in Bramber House ended on Tuesday evening as the students left the building. The University had asked the students to bring their action to a swift end. No direct demands were made by the students to the University and no discussions or negotiations sought by the students involved.

John Duffy, Registrar and Secretary said: “We were clear from the start of this trespass that this was an unnecessary and disruptive action. I want to thank all staff who worked to minimise the disruption caused.”

“This trespass has left damage and caused additional costs to the University which we are assessing. The Conference Suite facilities are now being cleaned and returned to proper use for our staff, students and local community.”

Consultation with the three campus trade unions on the proposal made by the University continues, as do the ongoing discussions with the Students’ Union and the meetings with the student reps.”

The bolded bit is interesting as it underlines the most positive aspect of the occupation: there was no shopping list of leftist demands, rather the action was aimed at encouraging university workers to strike. despite the influence of the SWP the two statements clearly show the influence of ultra-leftists/anarchists/anarcho-syndicalists (who i think largely wrote them, although they were adopted by all the occupiers).

This is planned to be the opening salvo from the student side of things. there's a UCU strike ballot on friday i think, and agitation afoot to encourage Unite and Unison workers to strike too.

no1

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by no1 on February 11, 2010

The UCU ballot will start on Friday 12. and run until Wednesday 3. March.

Nyif1968

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Nyif1968 on February 12, 2010

The bolded bit is interesting as it underlines the most positive aspect of the occupation: there was no shopping list of leftist demands, rather the action was aimed at encouraging university workers to strike. despite the influence of the SWP the two statements clearly show the influence of ultra-leftists/anarchists/anarcho-syndicalists (who i think largely wrote them, although they were adopted by all the occupiers).

Interesting point. As occupation has become such a popular tactic again would you say that its key use-value is encouraging further action more than achieving concessions? I know the Visteon occupation had specific demands that had to be met but subsequent occupations seem to have this character of 'occupation for occupation's sake' which seems to have a lot of symbolic power.

What is the "university is a factory" bit referencing, btw?

Joseph Kay

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on February 12, 2010

fkschulze

As occupation has become such a popular tactic again would you say that its key use-value is encouraging further action more than achieving concessions? I know the Visteon occupation had specific demands that had to be met but subsequent occupations seem to have this character of 'occupation for occupation's sake' which seems to have a lot of symbolic power.

well i think workers occupying their workplace if they're laid off can demand specific concessions, and the 'power of example' is secondary. but students are a lot less structurally powerful, so i think it's a pretty class concsious approach taken at Sussex: 'we're students, we're consumers of education, we can't beat the cuts alone. But if you strike we'll do everything we can to support you.'

that's much more positive that the soundings from union officials, who at a mass meeting before christmas were urging the students to stop the cuts, and it was left to the students, including an SWPer to be fair, to argue that industrial action is needed with student occupations in support. this now seems to be partially happening, and we're discussing ways we can help develop things further in this direction.

fkshulze

What is the "university is a factory" bit referencing, btw?

i assume it's a Mai '68 slogan, probably from 'The Poverty of Student Life', but i couldn't tell you for sure. sounds pretty Situationist.

Yorkie Bar

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Yorkie Bar on February 12, 2010

i assume it's a Mai '68 slogan, probably from 'The Poverty of Student Life', but i couldn't tell you for sure. sounds pretty Situationist.

It sounds post-Autonomist to me, but you could be right.

Steven.

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 12, 2010

yes, I think you're right, more referencing either the University being part of the social factory, or just the general idea of it being a factory producing future workers

Khawaga

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on February 12, 2010

There is something called the edu-factory collective and they're definitively influenced by post-operaismo (specifically around concept like social factory, cognitive capitalism). The Sussex occupations are on their front page so there might be a connection between the Sussex occupants and the collective.

Yorkie Bar

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Yorkie Bar on February 12, 2010

It's student elections day so apparently the Trots have left the occupation to go electioneering,

That's just horrendous btw.

Submitted by Joseph Kay on February 12, 2010

BigLittleJ

It's student elections day so apparently the Trots have left the occupation to go electioneering,

That's just horrendous btw

this is what i was told, although when i got there i did recognise some SP/SWP on the balcony so i'm not sure if they all left. the local branches were apparently annoyed that the occupation clashed with the SU elections though.

Farce

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Farce on February 15, 2010

The Leeds SWP contribution to the Leeds uni occupation last year is legendary: one dedicated activist got really involved in it, but the rest stayed away until the occupiers found a photocopier and worked out how to use it for free, at which point they turned up, copied loads of SWP material and buggered off again. There was also the incident when they sent a delegate (who was in Workers' Power) to speak at an anti-war demo in town, and when he turned up the SWPers leading the demo attempted to tell him that he shouldn't speak and the one SWP member involved in the occupation was actually the real legitimate representative of the occupation...ahem.

Joseph Kay

14 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on February 15, 2010

to be honest it's all perfectly consistent with Leninist vangiardism, so we shouldn't be surprised. as long as libertarians are disorganised they'll continue to dominate.