Joel Olson RIP

Submitted by Juan Conatz on March 30, 2012

Joel Olson 1967-2012

We are deeply saddened by the loss of esteemed activist, writer, scholar, and NCV Contributor Joel Olson, who passed away while on sabbatical in Europe.

Joel was Associate Professor in the Department of Politics and International Affairs at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona, where he specialized in political theory. A noted expert on racial politics and extremist ideologies, he was the author of The Abolition of White Democracy (University of Minnesota Press, 2004) as well as numerous articles and reviews. Joel was working on a second book, entitled American Zealot: Fanaticism and Democracy in the United States, at the time of his death.

During the 1990s Joel was involved with Love and Rage Revolutionary Anarchist Federation and later went on to form Bring the Ruckus! He was a well-known figure in the anti-racist and pro-immigrant movements in Arizona, working with grassroots groups including Copwatch and the Repeal Coalition.

Joel was a powerful voice in radical politics, a dedicated father, and someone who worked tirelessly through his words and deeds to raise critical consciousness and promote justice in the world. He will be missed by all of us here at NCV, and we ask that you keep him and his family in your thoughts.

Joel was also an editor of Profane Existence back in the '80-90s, a left wing punk magazine and The Blast, an anarchist newspaper, both out of Minneapolis. He also contributed a lot (was possibly an editor?) to Racetraitor. Of course, he was most well known, at least for people my age, for being one of the folks from Love & Rage who were still actively involved in the miliu and being in Bring the Ruckus.

Although we never met personally, I respected his experience and insight. Pretty much everyone that I've met that knew him respected him and my condolences go out to his family and comrades.

Remembering Joel Olson Facebook

Joel's homepage, featuring some of his writings

Black Badger

12 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Black Badger on March 31, 2012

Is it possible that he knew he was ill, and therefore presided over the disbanding of BTR and decided to take off from teaching?

Juan Conatz

12 years ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on March 31, 2012

Black Badger, I have no idea. Most of my interactions with him were on a listserv set up by a former member of STO to keep in touch with people he feels politically close to. I don't know the details of Joel's passing.

Hieronymous

12 years ago

Submitted by Hieronymous on March 31, 2012

Fuck, what's going on? So many people dying well before their time. My condolences to Joel's family and comrades.

I only met him once and had a very brief, yet engaged and comradely discussion. This news is extremely depressing.

Juan Conatz

12 years ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on March 31, 2012

Hieronymous

Fuck, what's going on? So many people dying well before their time.

Yeah. Just last week, a local anarchist and Twin Cities Wob died trying to save his housemates in a fire. With both, there's like 2 degrees of seperation...basically I'm close with people they were close to. Gives one a feeling of creeping mortality. I guess this is the first time I've really experienced people passing away within radical politics. Fuckin weird week.

Jared

12 years ago

Submitted by Jared on April 4, 2012

Yep sad news, for both the community and his 3 kids. Joel and Ruckus really influenced Beyond Resistance here in NZ when we were setting up.

knotwho

12 years ago

Submitted by knotwho on April 4, 2012

Very sad news. I've just learned about Joel since his passing, though it turns out we had a friend in common. Seems imperative to keep his work out there and available. I've just been reading this piece, "Between Infoshops and Insurrection U.S. Anarchism, Movement Building, and the Racial Order". I may try to add it to the LibCom library.

jonthom

12 years ago

Submitted by jonthom on April 5, 2012

sorry to hear this :(

Juan Conatz

12 years ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on April 5, 2012

Knotwho, that's already in the library. I put it in last week.

knotwho

12 years ago

Submitted by knotwho on April 5, 2012

d'oh. I'll figure out how to remove it!

EDIT: Or maybe it's already gone?

libraryrat

12 years ago

Submitted by libraryrat on April 9, 2012

@black badger
... No, sadly that is not what happened