Durham teaching assistant strikes

Submitted by Spikymike on April 29, 2017

Met a small group of 'Durham Lions' women teaching assistants on the local may Day demo in Manchester. Still struggling in a determined fashion if seemingly against the odds. In this election period just remember that it is a Labour Council that is the employer they are up against amongst others. A heartfelt speech from one of the women to the recent NUT teachers union is worth a read but what practical solidarity are the fellow teachers actually offering?
See more here: https://lionsofdurham.blogspot.co.uk

Steven.

6 years 11 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Steven. on May 9, 2017

Yeah, anyone getting told by lefties now to vote Labour should look at these mostly low-paid women in Durham and Derby who have faced massive pay cuts from Labour councils, and the devastating personal impact they have had on these workers.

OliverTwister

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by OliverTwister on May 9, 2017

I was so excited to think that there might be strikes in Durham, NC that I didn't know about!

This campaign does look awesome, though.

jef costello

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on May 9, 2017

Spikymike

A heartfelt speech from one of the women to the recent NUT teachers union is worth a read but what practical solidarity are the fellow teachers actually offering?

Given their failure to defend their own working conditions I'd be surprised if teachers as part of the NUT were of any practical help.

Steven.

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 9, 2017

jef costello

Spikymike

A heartfelt speech from one of the women to the recent NUT teachers union is worth a read but what practical solidarity are the fellow teachers actually offering?

Given their failure to defend their own working conditions I'd be surprised if teachers as part of the NUT were of any practical help.

Yeah, they did go on strike quite a few times in defence of themselves but basically achieved very little (apart from getting rid of Gove), and now with the Trade Union Act, teachers will basically never be able to take nationwide strike action again. Not completely sure about the figures but I would have thought regional action would also be very unlikely

Spikymike

6 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on July 29, 2017

A very welcome more detailed analysis of this dispute here now:
http://libcom.org/blog/durham-teaching-assistants-fight-against-labour-their-unions-29072017