IWW vs SolFed

Submitted by light emitting diode on June 5, 2016

What is the difference between these two organisations? They seem to do more or less the same thing. The only concrete difference I'm aware of is that the IWW is 'Industrial Unionist' and SF is explicitly Anarcho-Syndicalist, but I'm not quite sure what that means- something to do with 'one big union' vs lots of small federated unions? More importantly perhaps, does anyone actually care about these differences? Is there anything major, tactically or theoretically, that these orgs would disagree on?

I know the standard advice is to just get in touch with whoever is active locally but both have branches in my area and I'm wondering who to get involved with.

Craftwork

7 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Craftwork on June 5, 2016

I think this thread deals with those issues.
https://libcom.org/forums/organise/what-difference-between-afed-solfed-iww-etc-20122014

light emitting diode

7 years 10 months ago

I read that thread already thanks. I found it explained the difference between AFed / SolFed pretty well but I'm still in the dark about SolFed vs IWW- they seem like pretty much the same thing?

Tarquin

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Tarquin on June 5, 2016

The IWW has a much larger (paper) membership which is great if you want to deceive it into paying for your holidays or whatever but its boring as hell.

SolFed is way more fun but its full of students.

So as you can see both organisations have their pro and cons. Its a toughie.

Chilli Sauce

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on June 5, 2016

I think the main difference in that the IWW has taken a more legalistic route (getting certified, representing workers in casework) while, historically, SF has focused more on extralegal means. SF also has a broader focus, taking on wider political issues.

EDITED to add: this is not to say the IWW doesn't do extra-legal stuff as well. They were fucking awesome in supporting me in my workplace both on a legal and extralegal level.

Fleur

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on June 5, 2016

I saw the title of this thread and I thought it might be an announcement for an inter-organization wrestling tournament. I am very disappointed.

Chilli Sauce

7 years 10 months ago

UK RADICAL CAGE MATCH. ONE NIGHT ONLY!!!!!

Two organizations enter, ONLY ONE LEAVES with the UNDISPUTED TITLE as the leader of the UK's REVOLUTIONARY UNIONIST TRADITIIIIIIIOOOOOOOON!!!!

Joseph Kay

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on June 5, 2016

[color=red]VS[/color]

syndicalist

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by syndicalist on June 5, 2016

Jason Cortez

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Jason Cortez on June 5, 2016

I think having a fucking hammer may be an advantage.

Joseph Kay

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on June 5, 2016

Yeah but what's the Wob got in his left hand?

light emitting diode

7 years 10 months ago

What's the point of having the two different organisations though?

And which one would you recommend me to join?

petey

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by petey on June 5, 2016

Joseph Kay

Yeah but what's the Wob got in his left hand?

an entire smokestack?
game over.

Jason Cortez

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Jason Cortez on June 5, 2016

light emitting diode

because they have a different identity and history I guess.

Go along to both a few times and join the one that suits you best

Chilli Sauce

7 years 10 months ago

Jason Cortez

I think having a fucking hammer may be an advantage.

Yeah, good luck with that hammer ;-)

Chilli Sauce

7 years 10 months ago

light emitting diode

The one that's most active in your area?

Also, two comradely organizations pursuing different strategies, that's a good thing in my opinion.

Joseph Kay

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on June 6, 2016

light emitting diode

The IWW has the status of a certified trade union, which has certain advantages (mostly: it can ballot for lawful industrial action). There's also downsides, mainly vulnerability to anti-union measures (sequestration of funds etc) and relations with other trade unions defending their turf (which can affect 'going public', and hence using the power to ballot).

SF deliberately doesn't, which also has certain advantages (thus far, no employer has tried to hold us to trade union laws, and if they did we have no registered named officials, publically filed accounts, or filed membership numbers, which should help ignore them). There's also downsides, mainly SF can't do official trade union things under its own banner very easily.

That's the main strategic/tactical difference, and it's a complementary one imho (the 'best' tactic may depend on circumstances - what your workmates are willing to do, any existing recognised unions, employer attitudes etc). The IWW is also bigger fwiw, and I think has a different internal structure (though Wobs would be better placed to advise, and I'm not sure it's that important for the 'which should I join?' issue).

If you've got both locally, I'd say talk to both. See where they're active, see how that fits with what you want to do, and whichever you join you can be done friendly with both, or even switch later if e.g. one''s more active around unemployment while another's active in a particular industry (say). I'm in SF, and have phoned up Wobs for advice, and vice versa, we've supported each others' pickets, and worked together on some campaigns.

Like I say it's a complementary relationship rather than a duplication imho.

Entdinglichung

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on June 6, 2016

three-way-fight also involving the IWGB?