Help finding books on recent movements

Submitted by Jschul05 on April 7, 2016

Hi all,

I'm looking for a couple of things--any help is appreciated!

1. First, I'm looking for some recent-ish books that feature interviews with participants in recent left movements. For example, books on the Global Justice Movement of the 1990s or Occupy, etc., that have interviews with people who participated.

2. Second, I'm trying to find some academic, sociological analysis of those recentish movements since the 1990s, especially anarchist-tinged horizontal movements.

Any thoughts???

jondwhite

8 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by jondwhite on April 11, 2016

Well I don't think these are difficult to find either by using an internet search engine for the words you use in your query or via a good public library, although I suppose the latter might by harder to find these days. There is lots in the libcom library too if you look at these tags

https://libcom.org/tags/occupy-movement

https://libcom.org/tags/occupy-wall-street

Anyway I searched at a popular online bookstore (specifically for 'Occupy Wall Street') (although other more radical bookshops are available online) and came up with a few purporting to be insider accounts
Occupy! Scenes from Occupied America by Astra Taylor
Occupy Nation: The Roots, the Spirit, and the Promise of Occupy Wall Street by Todd Gitlin
This Changes Everything: Occupy Wall Street and the 99% Movement by Sarah van Gelder

David Graeber would be the writer to look into for academic analysis

jondwhite

8 years ago

Submitted by jondwhite on April 11, 2016

Oh this looks to be what you are seeking

Translating Anarchy: The Anarchism of Occupy Wall Street by Mark Bray with over 200 interviews

sockpanther

8 years ago

Submitted by sockpanther on April 14, 2016

I would second Translating Anarchy.

I would add They Can't Represent Us! by Dario Azzellini and Marina Sitrin which has a global focus and is properly your best bet for interviews.

Graeber has a good book on Occupy called The Democracy Project and an ethnography on the Global Justice Movement called Direct Action.

I would also recommend one no, many yeses by Paul Kingsnorth about the Global Justice Project. Its been a while since I have read it and I am not sure how many interviews there were.

It was like a Fever is also good, though it has been a very long time and I don't all of it was focused on the Global Justice Movement.

For something slightly different you might want to look for Hacker, Hoaxer, Spy by Gabriella Coleman about Anonymous.

sockpanther

8 years ago

Submitted by sockpanther on April 14, 2016

Oh and Egypt in the Future Tense is a good background reading for 2011 uprising in Egypt.