Trade Among Anarcho-Communist/Anarcho-Collectivist Communities

Submitted by FS98 on June 22, 2016

How do communities with gift economies and with economies that use labor vouchers trade with each other and communities that use money?

Khawaga

7 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Khawaga on June 22, 2016

Barter.

2 W

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by 2 W on June 22, 2016

Bartering has a role but I think sharing shit or returning ones shit to the commons is a better term.

When you barter you put value on stuff and then you get into the same foolishness of those with the most valued produce having say over those with the least.

Create abundance and share your shit....difficult though under capitalism when a lot of us don't even have shit. Still working on that bad boy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch

Something along these lines I think is good, we need to evict some landlords first for this to be viable, but I think even in dark times we can start to re-create these and adapt them where needed, whilst being respecful of their history.

FS98

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by FS98 on June 22, 2016

That seems extremely inefficient. I would imagine trade among societies with different economies would effectively not exist if there's no better way than bartering to trade goods.

Gulai Polye

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Gulai Polye on June 22, 2016

FS98

How do communities with gift economies and with economies that use labor vouchers trade with each other and communities that use money?

Communities with gift economy doesnt trade, they just give away. And then they hope everything will somehow fix itself in the end because thats what Karl Marx said, so it must be true

Khawaga

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 22, 2016

Citation missing.

duskflesh

7 years 10 months ago

Submitted by duskflesh on June 23, 2016

I think your best bet is to look at what happened during the Spanish civil war; where (Anarchist) communist communities coexisted with labor voucher communities.

[I personally am unsure what exactly happened. I vaguely remember hearing that certain resources were distributed on communist principles across different communities, regardless of how they distribute those resources among the community. I have also heard of conflicting cases where a community takes ownership of local resources.]