Anarchist music?

181 posts / 0 new
Last post
Skips
May 8 2009 14:15
Anarchist music?

Any suggestions? Im thinking not just in english but music from around the world. From what I have seen most anarchist music/bands seems to be punk but im sure there is loadsa others which I am not aware of.

Refused's picture
Refused
May 8 2009 21:44

No.

Just no.

Skips
May 8 2009 21:48
Refused wrote:
No.

Just no.

Fair enough...

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
May 8 2009 22:09

If your on about music which identifies as anarchist, then I am semi inclinned to agree with Refused - way too much bent towards a sub culture, which reinforces the issue of identity politics. But if were on about music which challenges society aesthetically or gives out a meaningful message then I think theres plenty of meaningful stuff to consider. Im a little perplexed why 'anarchist music' is obessed with message, when probably theres more to gleam from a Smith song than say a Crass one.

I actually thought one or two from Django's 2008 list were worth listening to despite my nazi like inclinnation towards hardcore music.

Skips
May 8 2009 22:14

cheers. I will have a look at that.

888's picture
May 8 2009 22:34

Ignore all previous and future posts, they are wrong. I actually like some Spanish anarchist punk bands, but I dislike almost all english language punk. If you can find the Recopilatorio CNT-AIT album on soulseek, it is pretty good.

Anyway old anarchist songs like Le Triomphe de l'Anarchie, A Las Barricadas and Canto dei Malfattori are all good.

El Cabrero
Chico Sanchez Ferlosio
Leo Ferre
JOSE DE MOLINA

Django's picture
Django
May 8 2009 22:35

Thats not 'anarchist music' though!

Edit - cross post with 888

Wellclose Square
May 8 2009 22:56

Not anarchist with a capital 'A', but I think Rembetika music from Greece was pretty anti-establishment/subcultural - celebrating the dissolute lifestyle of the 'Mangas' (or am I getting mixed up with comics?) of the Piraeus area of Athens in the '30s, '40s and '50s. Rembetika was the music of the Hellenic speakers of Asia Minor, expelled from Turkey in 1922, with oriental influences and bringing with them the bouzouki - it became known as 'the Greek blues', and was rediscovered by young anarchists in the late 1960s. Worth checking out is stuff by someone surnamed Janitsaris or Gennitsaris (both are googleable, I'm sure), who had his bouzouki smashed by police and was imprisoned on an island by a right-wing regime in the '30s for smoking dope and being a rembete - he featured on a BBC 2 documentary about 15 or so years ago (on You Tube, I think - just enter 'Rembetika').

Skips
May 9 2009 07:54

interesting thanks.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
May 9 2009 13:05
sickdog24 wrote:
Any suggestions? Im thinking not just in english but music from around the world. From what I have seen most anarchist music/bands seems to be punk but im sure there is loadsa others which I am not aware of.

I suppose the most obvious non-english langauge anarchist band would be Sin Dios
http://www.sindios.net
their best song being http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGizgIUNJk

Political music can be a bit hit and miss, can;t think of that many bands outside punk and its sub-genres who self identify as anarchist. Chumbawamba and The Levellers count i guess but thats not exaclty a heartneing example. I guess its like other posters have said, poitical music can be good but banging on about ''the message'' doesn;t neceasrily mean you really relate to people or life. .

Mind you its nice to see really overtly political bands do well sometimes, like early manics or ratm. It'd be worth it just so we can get more videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjmCg_VMU0

Skips
May 9 2009 18:10
cantdocartwheels wrote:
sickdog24 wrote:

I suppose the most obvious non-english langauge anarchist band would be Sin Dios
http://www.sindios.net
their best song being http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGizgIUNJk

Political music can be a bit hit and miss, can;t think of that many bands outside punk and its sub-genres who self identify as anarchist. Chumbawamba and The Levellers count i guess but thats not exaclty a heartneing example. I guess its like other posters have said, poitical music can be good but banging on about ''the message'' doesn;t neceasrily mean you really relate to people or life. .

Mind you its nice to see really overtly political bands do well sometimes, like early manics or ratm. It'd be worth it just so we can get more videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjmCg_VMU0

Early manics stuff is great. Cheers for the sin dios link, heard that song b4 so trying to download a torrent.

Farce's picture
Farce
May 10 2009 07:29
Refused wrote:
No.

Just no.

Kind of ironic, considering where I'm guessing your name comes from... tongue

To the OP, if you've not heard Refused yet, they are genuinely awesome. Also, old IWW folk songs are the shit.

freemind
May 10 2009 19:19

Las Barricadas-An Anarcho-Syndicalist classic from the CNT(Never mind the punk nonsense)

Skips
May 10 2009 20:12
freemind wrote:
Las Barricadas-An Anarcho-Syndicalist classic from the CNT(Never mind the punk nonsense)

I love this song. I want to make a happy hardcore remix of it.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
May 10 2009 21:03

Political-esque music, since you wanted a list

~Punk/Hardcore~
King Prawn, Brigada Flores Magon, Sin Dios, Limp Wrist, Los Crudos, Discharge, Randy, Mano Negra, Morning Again, Strike Anywhere, R.A.M.B.O.,
~Hip-Hop/Reggae/Dub~
Asian Dub Foundation, Sabac, Immortal Technique, Dead Prez, Blue Scholars, Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, Public Enemy, Ozomatli, Linton Kwesi Johnson,
~Rock/Metal~
Rage Against the Machine, Warsawpack, Kinesis, Desaparecidos, Manic Street Preachers, S.O.A.D., Napalm Death, One Minute Silence

Otherwise try
Grime, Afro Beat, Tropicalismo, Northern Soul

flaneur's picture
flaneur
May 11 2009 10:14

Did he not ask for anarchist music?

Skips
May 11 2009 11:53
jolly roger wrote:

Yeah and like working class solidarity music =)

back2front's picture
back2front
May 11 2009 18:17

Check out Norman Nawrocki at http://www.nothingness.org/music/rhythm/en/html/news.html for a most versatile performer. Also it's well worth a scroll down the page and watch a clip of his play Cazzarola.

Boris Badenov
May 11 2009 18:48
888' wrote:
Leo Ferre

This is the direction in which this thread should be going imo (not that I have anything against punk/Crass/etc). I would add Georges Brassens. (esp. songs like "Mauvaise Reputation" and "Pauvre Martin").
An equivalent in English would be Utah Phillips.

(shouldn't this be in the Culture section where more people can see it?)

Quote:
Check out Norman Nawrocki

Yes, do check him out.
Also, he has a one-man play about the life of Gino Lucetti, an anarchist who tried to assassinate Mussolini (and I think it's available on youtube).

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
May 11 2009 18:47
jolly roger wrote:

Read my post #3.

Ed's picture
Ed
May 11 2009 19:20

As far as anarchist hip-hop goes, I'd have to mention Comrade Malone (www.myspace.com/comrademalone - there's also an interview with him on libcom).. I also recently found this guy Mentenguerra (http://www.myspace.com/mentenguerra), he's alright, some really good beats and apparently an anarchist (though I haven't got a clue what he's saying)...

Ed's picture
Ed
May 11 2009 19:21

Oh yeah, this guy is a friend of Malone's. He's also pretty good, this one's called Riot.. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moD0hDSh4_o

martinh
May 11 2009 19:32

Surely the English equivalent of Brassens would be Jake Thackery, not really an anarchist more an erudite francophile rebel with a total disdain for athority.

A very good set of anarchist songs IMO is the 1926 Committee's "More of the Same". THey used to have these tapesat 56A, but you can tell how old it is by its format.

Regards,

Martin

Boris Badenov
May 11 2009 20:52
Martin wrote:
Surely the English equivalent of Brassens would be Jake Thackery, not really an anarchist more an erudite francophile rebel with a total disdain for athority.

I've not heard of this Thackery guy. Anything to recommend in particular?

Wellclose Square
May 11 2009 22:32
Quote:
I've not heard of this Thackery guy. Anything to recommend in particular?

I think the name's Thackray. He used to have a spot on the forerunner of That's Life, and his best known song is Sister Josephine, about an escaped convict hiding out in a nunnery. There was a very good documentary about him recently on BBC2 or BBC4. He was bracketed as 'folk', but actually based his style and content on socially-conscious French chanson. Very interesting character, his extreme shyness led him to withdraw from the public musical career, and he died a few years ago in relative obscurity. A genius.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
May 12 2009 10:03
sickdog24 wrote:
jolly roger wrote:

That rules out a homophobic knobhead like Immortal Technique then.

back2front's picture
back2front
May 12 2009 10:42
Vlad336 wrote:
Quote:
Check out Norman Nawrocki

Yes, do check him out.
Also, he has a one-man play about the life of Gino Lucetti, an anarchist who tried to assassinate Mussolini (and I think it's available on youtube).

Yes that's the same play I was referring to, there's a good clip on his site

Refused's picture
Refused
May 13 2009 18:35

(Sin Dios, obv, by the way)

Eastern Barbarian
May 14 2009 00:33

there is a record lable from Poland releasing anarchist songs on CDs- http://www.czsz.bzzz.net/czarny/contact (online contact form) they have CD called Freedom or Death with lots of Russian and Ukrainian anarchist songs about Machno, Anti-fascism , anarchism etc.. (they were working on English translation of lyrics but not sure if its finished), they also have CDs of anarcho-feminist choir from Sweden, Spanish Anarchist Songs and Italian Anarchist Songs.
I also have great compilation of anarchist songs in Spanish called Notas De Libertad released by Liberario paper from Venezuela but short of writing to them directly fuck knows where can you get it thse days.
Punk band called Rene Biname from Belgium made cd called 1887- 1936 if i rememebr properly, where they had punk-like versions of many traditional anarchist songs. Thats what I can think of on the top op my head..

Skips
May 14 2009 08:42
Eastern Barbarian wrote:
there is a record lable from Poland releasing anarchist songs on CDs- http://www.czsz.bzzz.net/czarny/contact (online contact form) they have CD called Freedom or Death with lots of Russian and Ukrainian anarchist songs about Machno, Anti-fascism , anarchism etc.. (they were working on English translation of lyrics but not sure if its finished), they also have CDs of anarcho-feminist choir from Sweden, Spanish Anarchist Songs and Italian Anarchist Songs.
I also have great compilation of anarchist songs in Spanish called Notas De Libertad released by Liberario paper from Venezuela but short of writing to them directly fuck knows where can you get it thse days.
Punk band called Rene Biname from Belgium made cd called 1887- 1936 if i rememebr properly, where they had punk-like versions of many traditional anarchist songs. Thats what I can think of on the top op my head..

thanks for link comrade

Skips
May 14 2009 09:01
weeler wrote:
jolly roger wrote:
sickdog24 wrote:
jolly roger wrote:

That rules out a homophobic knobhead like Immortal Technique then.

lets be mates again <3

I dont want my head smashed in.